Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Which year?

That was the dying sting of that great St. Mary’s team.

apologies 1991

the clare backs \midfield of 1995\1997 and the tipp forwards of 1991 all on the one team would have made some team!

As a match day experience maybe, maybe not. I have only seen that game on TV. I’m definitely biased towards Clare.
My point is more about the general standard of teams and the difference in overall ability post '97, the game was much different by that year and became almost alien to what preceded it in a short period of time as more and more professional aspects became the norm

1 Like

They would have been stellar

Progressive choice by Damien Hayes, as always Damien ahead of the curve

1 Like

About a year ago in the height of lockdown I went back and watched a lot of the Clare matches from 95 to 99 and made similar comments to what you said.

The days of lads running over the ball when trying to rise it or topping the ball when under little pressure was very much commonplace and happened scores of times in each game up to the mid 90s. Come 95 you would count on one hand that amount of times it would happen in a game. There was a definite sea change.

1 Like

Rubbish

“It’s a miracle shot…it’s gone over the bar!!!”

Iconic commentary by the peerless Ger Canning, his voice cracking with emotion. And Duignan giddy in the background too.

Contrast that to the commentary from Marty Morrissey and Roy Cropper for Canning’s 2015 Leinster Final goal. They treated it like a tap over free.

2 Likes

And Damian Hayes’ was Angela Downey

Andy Smith’s was a rubby player, no surprise given how he hurled

1 Like

Ye’re all wrong, they were asked for their favourite pal, yer.

Niall Hayes lists his profession as “cars”. Damien Hayes has notions and is an “Audi salesman”

Out half on the Ireland junior team

You’re crusade to canonize Joe is admirable . Even resorting to calling your beloved Galway a ‘pub team’. That sort of determination to win an internet argument is vintage TFK.

4 Likes

Your

:rofl: you’re some snake. Trying to ingratiate yourself with him here. Take back what you said about his farcical facial hair and he might undo your DELETION. :rofl:

1 Like

Programme from 2004. Must have been influenced by Larry’s late career warrior displays in 2003 and 2004. Coming off the bench in the first half of a Nowlan Park qualifier against a rampant John Mullane and Waterford in 2003 and turning the game. The epic drawn semi-final against Cork that year and sticking around for the Leinster title in 2004 after the dramatic semi-final victory over Kilkenny. Game clearly respects game.

1 Like

No pal, I think it was a piss take and probably not even Larry Murphy the hurler…

5 Likes