John Delaney/ tugging off half the forum

ā‚¬400k a year - of which ā‚¬200k goes to the exchequer.

It really grinds my gears when I see successful people getting a hard time in the media for ā€œlargeā€ pay packets with no acknowledgement of the huge chunk they pay in tax.

Delaney was netting about ā‚¬17k a month, that isnā€™t a lot of money for a role you could be turfed out of any time.

6 Likes

You try keeping three houses on his pay packet

2 Likes

Who has the power to turf Delaney out of his job? Only himself. And not before he gets himself a new role, of his own choosing. I presume in time weā€™ll find out that he got a pay off to step aside/across/up/down/around. And a relocation fee for moving offices. Or even just changing the title on the door.

2 Likes

The ā‚¬5m from FIFA really was outstanding. The abuse he got over that was bizarre.

2 Likes

Heā€™s a go getter who gets the job done.

Bizarre the people who give out about his salary also give out about this

My only issue with John was the lack of historic glossy annual reports on the FAI website.

1 Like

Itā€™s because most journalists are paupers. They are jealous of real success

A football administrative character, lads going on like heā€™s FDR :grinning:

Nobody is saying he is FDR but many are amazed at the extent of the journalistic scrutiny .

1 Like

I know there has been an expectation that I will wade into this issue and bring some perspective from the boardroom table. It makes sense that one of the forums leading businessmen should make a call on a matter thatā€™s probably beyond the grasp of some of the less experienced members of the forum.
Having looked at all the ā€˜evidenceā€™ and material it is clear to me that Mr Delaney has done an exceptional job for the FAI and we are blessed he will stay on in his new role.
Executive remuneration regularly grand headlines but my evaluation is that Mr Delaney was grossly underpaid and a 25% commission on the 5m he singlehandly won from fifa would be a gesture that would make a lot of sense.

4 Likes

This sentiment is a little rich coming from you @Juhniallio
Iā€™ve regularly seen you put loose vending stock such as mars bars into your pocket following a call out to fix a machine . You seemed not to view this unauthorized gratuity from your employer as legitimate yet are very quick to point the finger at mr Delaney

I donā€™t believe there is a vending machine in the coffee shop you work from.

1 Like

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/revealed-details-of-the-report-that-suggested-the-fai-should-create-executive-vicepresident-role-for-john-delaney-37995853.html

I wonder was the plan written after events had transpired?

What
The
Fuck??

Itā€™s the in joke, mate. Heā€™s worth every penny, nothing dodgy going on here, etc. Just play along.

2 Likes

People want expensive people in those positions but only on the cheap.

Dela could be earning far more in the private sector.

1 Like

Could you imagine the kerfuffle here if he left and steered the likes of a Preston North End for similar coin ?

Thatā€™s small money for a qualified chartered accountant

Heā€™s right tbf. In a lot of cases these roles are relatively short. Youā€™re talking 5 years of big money for giving up a lot of your life in the process with a lot of risk.

Doesnā€™t mean that there arenā€™t corporate governance failures or whatever, but often miss the context of people earning big money.