Kicking off in UCD

I miss the auld place :frowning:

Violent snowball fight brings campus to a standstill
Share Digg del.icio.us Google Stumble Upon Facebook Reddit Print Email Text Size
NormalLargeExtra Large

Library image of a lecture theatre
ArticlesTopicsArticles
Those who live by the sword . . .
Five shot outside high school in Chicago
Irishman shot dead in Spain
Pipe bomb ‘could be linked to criminal feud’
Pointless death won’t be last
State losing battle for control of our streets
Why should we care about the civil rights of these scumbags?
Topics
Met Eireann
Crime
Gang Violence
Weather
Winter Weather
Police
Quinn School of Business
Also in National News
Shooting victim ‘was lured to death’ by lone gunman
Legal first as jury sent home for night
Road ban for tractor traffic jam farmer
Brain-damaged crash victim gets 3m
641,000 bill to keep Spire clean
National News Home

Search
Query:
Independent.ie WebSearch By Caitrina Cody

Wednesday February 11 2009

A MOB of students brought chaos to the campus of a top university last week with a violent snowball fight involving hundreds of people. Gangs of UCD students launched attacks on cyclists and pedestrians at the college campus in Belfield, Dublin 4.

According to students, last Thursday’s intensive snowfall sparked a campus-wide snowball fight that saw lectures disrupted and individuals surrounded by gangs armed with snow.

The entire college was officially closed at 5pm and gardai were called to the scene, but a college spokesperson has denied any connection between the fights and the early closure.

One science student said members of his class were stranded inside the Science Department in an effort to avoid what he said was a gang of close to 100 students lying in wait.

Surrounded

“We tried to leave, but as soon as we went outside we were surrounded by people launching snowballs at us,” he said.

It is understood that the Quinn School of Business bore the brunt of the attacks, when a group of students entered the building to throw snowballs at students and staff.

UCD Students’ Union President Aodhan O’Dea said that what was initially a friendly game spiralled out of control.

According to a UCD spokesperson, four complaints have so far been made in relation to snowballing at the college but the early closure was unrelated to the incidents.

“Following information bulletins from Met Eireann announcing heavy snow throughout the afternoon, the university, in line with advice issued by the AA and the gardai, wished to enable staff and students to arrive home early in order to ensure their safety,” he said.

• Caitrina Cody

This is just the start of nationwide civil unrest. The army should be bolstered immediately instead of being cut back. If barricades go up in Dublin, does the army even have a tank able to break them up? I fear not.

Well as Kevin Myers told us, UCD is the only Irish institution with a history of standing up to the government. Glad to see there’s a generation for Kevin to pass the torch to.

I hear there was a avalanche of complaints from local residents.

they could borrow that hose thing they had in the Pheonix Park

I thought they put that lake into the plaza in UCD to stop people demonstrating there. Looks like the Perestroiking kids won’t wear it. We could have a Paris Commune on our hands if they trade their snow balls for guns.

Just home from UCD now. First I heard about this. Wasn’t arsed going in last Thursday at all. Looks like it could have been a life-saving decision.

Shocking footage:

[media=youtube]T3gN_IBwGvM&feature=related

“surrounded by gangs armed with snow.”

Hmmm…

Yours in thinking if they were paying massive fees they might stay in eh learn their books,
GSH.

[quote=“Garda Sean Horgan”]
Yours in thinking if they were paying massive fees they might stay in eh learn their books,
GSH.[/quote]

From rubbing shoulders with the cunts on a daily basis I can assure it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference.
Wouldn’t be their dough anyway.

There was a snow situation in February 2001 in UCD. I remember it well. A bleaching of my air the night before went disastrously and I got my head completely shaved the next morning. I was straight in there at opening time despite the snow as I wanted my hair fixed immediately. Then lectures were cancelled and we went to the pub for the day, like proper students, instead of fannying around in the snow. The only snowballs thrown were on the walk from the students’ bar down to the sports’ bar after the students’ bar inexplicably closed at around 7pm. There we watched Sven Goran Eriksson’s England thump Spain in his first game in charge at Villa Park to signal the beginning of a bright, new era for English football.

A great day for UCD, despite the best efforts of the anti Roman Catholic brigade.

2 Likes