Kilkenny GAA thread

I knew this would happen when I let fly a few weeks back, couldn’t help myself though

Bennettsbridge beat Clara 3-19 to 2-17 to reach the senior final for the first time since the 70’s (I think)

The intermediate final may well be one of the most inbred county finals ever played as Graigue Ballycallan booked their place against Toblerone today as well.

5 Likes

When is the senior final?

Two weeks at least. Comer have to play their semi final. Who is that against? Ballyhale?

Yep. Coach Shefflin has them :honeybee::honeybee:

Joe.ie says it was 1971 and the final is in two weeks.

1971 was the last time Bennettsbridge won it. They lost a finals after that though. The Fenians beat them in a few for sure when they they won 3 in a row from 1972-74. Joe.ie evidently not a reliable source.

Was Liam Simpson the last AI winner from the club ?

Would the Kilkenny People not be the “Paper of Record “ in this context Geoffrey ?

James McGarry

1 Like

Yes , Now I think of it I would have thought JMG as James Stephens .

Would Bennettsbridge have a big pick ?

No. Very small place. Great achievement. Danesfort and James Stephens borders v close to village. Nor sure how far out towards Thomastown they go.

Bennettsbridge domainated Kilkenny in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Won 11 out of 20 county championships between 1952-71.

MGarry on the field. One or two might have sub medals.

About two miles from Thomastown. As far as the Longman (KIlfane Demesne) on the Gowran road and Kilarney cross on the Thomastown road. Tullaherin is the parish, and Tullaherin church is close enough to Dungarvan also.

1 Like

None that I can think of.

Did Liam Blanchfield not win one?

Whatever about All-Ireland medallists, I didn’t realise they had so many current intercounty players.

As far as I remember he made his debut in the semis against Waterford before Tipp gave us a hiding in 2016

1 Like

I suppose after Limerick’s great All Ireland win, I’ll have to stop slagging the lads below in the club, that there’s more All Ireland medals in The Ring in Bennettsbridge than there is in the whole of Limerick.