Kilkenny GAA thread

Ah here.

Time will tell .

I think he might have a JBM persona in that players will play for him .

1 Like

Probably a bit harsh ,but he always struck me as a bit simple. Maybe he has a great hurling brain though.

2 Likes

I think he will be a step up on the previous incumbent .

1 Like

Unlike other counties who have it finished, the U21 hasn’t started in KK yet.
So he’ll get a good chance to see what’s available.

UL should be winning the thing every year with the players they have. Carlow don’t have a great group of players at all and they did very well to get to a final. Their best players last year were probably Dunford who can’t start for Waterford and that Maher lad from Laois. There was a lad from Tipp starting for them that wouldn’t get near a UL team

Agreed. TBF Maher wasn’t the best lad from Laois on it, Enda Rowland, Dwane Palmer and Cha Dwyer were far superior, but Picky has a good nickname and is a good freetaker. Martin Kavanagh would be decent too, and Healy from Meath, but that about it. As for DJ mining gold from Carlow hurling, there were only 2 Carlow players starting on the fucking team.

1 Like

Genuinely dont know, but is Carey the brains behind this Carlow IT team? Mick Dempsey is in there full time and does a shitload in there for the Kilkenny set up as well as the Carlow IT stuff. I just wonder if Carey is the face behind the work Demspey is doing? I know Carey got a bit of flack in Kilkenny from some people this year as their Carey managed Forristal team were knocked out by Laois

I think you are right. I’d say DJ has a lot of support from Michael in the Carlow role. The GAA coaching course there is totally Michael Dempsey’s baby and he is involved in some way in the coaching of all the GAA teams there.
The Monaghan twins who are recent graduates were doing the stats for Kilkenny last year.

At the same time, I wouldn’t discount the personality theory either, I was told he is inspirational in a team setting plus he is DJ Carey, if he wants a shot at the U21s, the county board were hardly going to say no

I’d have a thought Dempsey would have a big impact on those teams alright. Much like the Kilkenny one. As you say, he had the 2 girls in there essentially working full time on stats, but “Kilkenny dont do stats or analysis or subscribe to any programs”. They have been working with them for 3 or 4 years now doing analysis (both full time with clubs in Dublin now on top of the Kilkenny gig).

It wouldnt have taken much to get the nod over Fast Eddie though I’d say. Anthony McCormack has been coaching a lot of teams in Kildare, Carlow and Kilkenny and was over the AI county intermediates last year. I suppose he is not big name enough to warrant inclusion to the main set up but I’d have thought his name would be more mentioned rather than a lot of big name players with no coaching background.

I don’t know how they decide who gets these positions. It seems to me they used to hold great store in what was going on in the primary schools.!
Pat Hoban has been with the intermediates and the minors and I presume his name comes up for these things. Tom Mullally would also seem a stand out potential candidate.
The thing is though that being a manager/coach/ selector on a KK county side is not very lucrative. It really isn’t and deeply unpleasant if things go badly for you… They pay the experts in the setup but not the core management team.
The county board have saved a fortune over the years because until the senior set up got the stats girls on board, they (Michael and Martin really) did all the video and stats analysis themselves. Plus, some years Michael did all the physical training himself. It was easy then to peddle the line about no analysis and no tactics. Hilarious really as no one is more tactical. We were out for dinner with Michael and ran into some guy he’d trained in O’ Hanrahans and proceeded to explain how to beat the Donegal mass defence.
Off the Ball had JJ, Tommy and Taggy on one Saturday for a longish interview which gets good once they’ve warmed into it a bit. They made a joke of the no tactics and " just playing the simple hurling, Ger". Incidentally, I always used to say that they treated Taggy like shit and always got the response that " Taggy is a super chap", ie he doesn’t mind but it really was quite brutal for him at times.
Anyway, I’ve heard people say that we’ll actually lose some of that crop of players to management or coaching roles in other counties because they will get paid elsewhere.

3 Likes

Do you have that Off the Ball podcast link?

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://player.fm/series/the-panel-on-off-the-ball/jj-taggy-and-tommy-walsh-on-kilkenny-memories&ved=0ahUKEwjUzd7n7-bWAhVIWBoKHVaiCTsQFggsMAI&usg=AOvVaw203Fe_Lk3nCOpTcTeGuqGb

1 Like

Congrats on the semi win Lockes.

Ye were a good bit better on the day; our boys didn’t get out of the blocks at all.

Will ye close the deal tomorrow?

Loughlins looked a tidy outfit in the other semi, but Piltown were woeful so its hard to judge.

I believe Callan are in the Leinster club regardless of tomorrows result?

Far as i know yeah, we’ll be in leinster regardless. Hopefully we’ll do it. If we keep the head we should be alright.
Heading to the airport now. @Locke, will i aee you there?

Cheers @Gavrilo-Princip. We seem to be in a good place for the final. But you’d never know. The weather might suit us, a heavy/windy day would be good for a more mature team. I think it’ll go like last year, only with Callan in the Mooncoin role - bigger team, more mature and battle hardened.

Yes, will play in the Leinster championship no matter what as ‘B’ teams can’t compete so that’s a bonus.

Won’t make the game as there are birthday parties to bring kids to on Sunday. Will be glued to KCLR for the commentary.

1 Like

Just commented there below Piles, can’t make it. Gutted but family first.

I wouldn’t say Callan were the more mature team- Alan O Brien, Alan Geoghegan, Brian Murphy and Brian Dowling are all ancient and have a few senior county finals won!! I’d say your lot will run the legs off them though.
Apparently the OLG seniors in the senior semi on Sunday are trying to pillage some of the junior team so advantage Callan…

You are definitely in the Leinster championship win or lose because it’s O Loughlins second team and they’re not eligible

:roll_eyes:

FFS.