Joe Brennan
John Joe Farrell
Mark Kelly
TJ Reid

Looks like Cody isn’t exactly prioritising the league

We are fucked!

Whoever we’re playing to win 4 points…

Fuck off.

I disagree lads , Cody is making sure we have a strong panel for championship blooding young fast players in case we need to make changes , to say he is not taking it serious is rubbish we never go out to lose

who are ye playing?

Dunno. Galway?

[SIZE=4]Shefflin salutes courage of striking Cork hurlers in 2002 [/SIZE]
Saturday, March 08, 2014

Henry Shefflin has revealed he has a growing appreciation of the reasons why the Cork hurlers went on strike in 2002.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/media/images/h/HenryShefflinKilkennyHurling2012_large.jpg
Henry Shefflin

By John Fogarty
The two-time Hurler of the Year reveals in Seán Óg Ó hAilpín’s Laochra Gael on TG4 tomorrow evening that their demands for better preparatory conditions assisted other teams and set a benchmark.

Shefflin and his team-mates were depicted as “Stepford Wives” by Dónal Óg Cusack in his autobiography. Cusack wrote: “We struggled and Kilkenny left us out there to walk our path alone.

“Through all the troubles we have had, we have often thought how much easier and how much more effective for all players this would be if Kilkenny and Cork were marching together.”

However, Shefflin now says: “As I got older, I could understand it more why they do it. You know, fair play to Seán Óg, Dónal Óg, these people at such a young stage of their career to take a stance.

“Obviously, it was a benefit not alone to the bigger counties but to the smaller counties that came after. It definitely was a benefit to them.”

Shefflin, who ranks Ó hAilpín as one of the best players he ever marked, admitted he was taken aback when Denis Walsh dropped the defender from the panel in 2010.

“I was very surprised because I have such respect for him on the field and I know from marking him how good he is. You’d look up (to him) in aspiration and say how he’s so fit and how well he looks after himself.”

The axe, which was compensated somewhat by Ó hAilpín’s reinstatement to the panel at the end of 2011, still rankles with the Na Piarsaigh man.

“I was of the belief that the reason was something other than hurling. When I was shown the door, I thought the same would happen to other players. However, I was the only one , so it must’ve been personal.”

Ó hAilpín admits avenging their 2003 All-Ireland final defeat by Kilkenny was the one thing that motivated them to win the following year’s Championship.

“We believed the Championship was not worth winning if we didn’t meet them in the final or on the way to the final. We had wanted to get our own back from the previous year.”

An honest Shefflin recalls losing his 2004 final duel with Ó hAilpín. “I started well for about five minutes but then Seán Óg rolled up his sleeves and that was the end of that. He really stood up.

“I’ve an up close and personal feeling of that day. At one stage, Seán Óg was coming out with 15 minutes gone and he just kind of looked at me and gave me a bit of a jostle as much to say ‘we’re not gone from here’.

“I think that was the statement Cork were trying to set down. It was a hard day for myself. I walked off the field knowing the better man had won on the day.”

The following year’s final was played on a Croke Park pitch heavily criticised by Cork. Ó hAilpín’s former manager and teacher Donal O’Grady remembers: “A junior B match wouldn’t have been played on Croke Park that day; the grass was three inches long. People were saying Kilkenny were waiting in the long grass. That was literally the case.”

Looking back on his dual playing days in 1999, Ó hAilpín questions the wisdom of committing to so many teams. “I was playing for both the Cork U21 football and hurling teams. I was playing for my club at senior and U21 level both in football and hurling week after week. It was just one game after another. I don’t know how I survived. Bonkers!”

He also regrets not adding a few words of the Rotuman language to his memorable all-Irish All-Ireland acceptance speech in 2005.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 913456, member: 180”][SIZE=4]Shefflin salutes courage of striking Cork hurlers in 2002 [/SIZE]
Saturday, March 08, 2014

Henry Shefflin has revealed he has a growing appreciation of the reasons why the Cork hurlers went on strike in 2002.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/media/images/h/HenryShefflinKilkennyHurling2012_large.jpg
Henry Shefflin

By John Fogarty
The two-time Hurler of the Year reveals in Seán Óg Ó hAilpín’s Laochra Gael on TG4 tomorrow evening that their demands for better preparatory conditions assisted other teams and set a benchmark.

Shefflin and his team-mates were depicted as “Stepford Wives” by Dónal Óg Cusack in his autobiography. Cusack wrote: “We struggled and Kilkenny left us out there to walk our path alone.

“Through all the troubles we have had, we have often thought how much easier and how much more effective for all players this would be if Kilkenny and Cork were marching together.”

However, Shefflin now says: “As I got older, I could understand it more why they do it. You know, fair play to Seán Óg, Dónal Óg, these people at such a young stage of their career to take a stance.

“Obviously, it was a benefit not alone to the bigger counties but to the smaller counties that came after. It definitely was a benefit to them.”

Shefflin, who ranks Ó hAilpín as one of the best players he ever marked, admitted he was taken aback when Denis Walsh dropped the defender from the panel in 2010.

“I was very surprised because I have such respect for him on the field and I know from marking him how good he is. You’d look up (to him) in aspiration and say how he’s so fit and how well he looks after himself.”

The axe, which was compensated somewhat by Ó hAilpín’s reinstatement to the panel at the end of 2011, still rankles with the Na Piarsaigh man.

“I was of the belief that the reason was something other than hurling. When I was shown the door, I thought the same would happen to other players. However, I was the only one , so it must’ve been personal.”

Ó hAilpín admits avenging their 2003 All-Ireland final defeat by Kilkenny was the one thing that motivated them to win the following year’s Championship.

“We believed the Championship was not worth winning if we didn’t meet them in the final or on the way to the final. We had wanted to get our own back from the previous year.”

An honest Shefflin recalls losing his 2004 final duel with Ó hAilpín. “I started well for about five minutes but then Seán Óg rolled up his sleeves and that was the end of that. He really stood up.

“I’ve an up close and personal feeling of that day. At one stage, Seán Óg was coming out with 15 minutes gone and he just kind of looked at me and gave me a bit of a jostle as much to say ‘we’re not gone from here’.

“I think that was the statement Cork were trying to set down. It was a hard day for myself. I walked off the field knowing the better man had won on the day.”

The following year’s final was played on a Croke Park pitch heavily criticised by Cork. Ó hAilpín’s former manager and teacher Donal O’Grady remembers: “A junior B match wouldn’t have been played on Croke Park that day; the grass was three inches long. People were saying Kilkenny were waiting in the long grass. That was literally the case.”

Looking back on his dual playing days in 1999, Ó hAilpín questions the wisdom of committing to so many teams. “I was playing for both the Cork U21 football and hurling teams. I was playing for my club at senior and U21 level both in football and hurling week after week. It was just one game after another. I don’t know how I survived. Bonkers!”

He also regrets not adding a few words of the Rotuman language to his memorable all-Irish All-Ireland acceptance speech in 2005.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved[/quote]

Condescending bollox.

:rolleyes:

Basically Henry is saying the boys should of dropped their socks. :smiley:

Henry is spouting whatever PR he thinks gives kk the best chance of winning this year. Nothing more, nothing less. If he thought that slating the strikers again would give kk an edge, he would do so I suspect.

Thank god Henry has praised Sean Og. We wouldn’t have a hope otherwise.
We still don’t but thank god he did that anyway.

[quote=“Piles Hussain, post: 913544, member: 363”]Thank god Henry has praised Sean Og. We wouldn’t have a hope otherwise.
We still don’t but thank god he did that anyway.[/quote]

I disagree, this will give the team a real boost and they should kick on from this. If Cody manages to produce a good post match interview tomorrow I can’t see us being beaten

All big talk now lads. Ye circled the wagons when a gesture of solidarity was all that was asked for.

Do you really think some platitudes offered for a documentary that fuck all people will watch will affect the outcome of the championship one way or another? I think you’re overcomplicating things here.

A shameful time for us indeed.
It will take at least three more condescending interviews from players of that time before the slate can even start to be wiped clean.
Ochon ochon.

No I really don’t bandage. Do you? The fact that some people above think that I really do, including yourself by the sound of it makes me smile.
I would say they yuri geller is more likely to influence the outcome of the championship. It is a particular foible of the GAA and its reporting, that a win or a loss in a big game is put down to some minor incident previously, or the way the wind shook the barley or some such shite. Games are by and large won by the team that is better, or luckier, or has John Denton on their side over the seventy minutes. Everything else is superfluous. Will Cody and kk attempt to use a bit of propaganda to further their only aim? Indeed they will, like saf and other successful managers and brands.
One only has to look at the way the kk franchise tried to hype an innocuous comment by joe canning into the Cuban missile crisis prior to the replay in 2012 as an example.

[quote=“flattythehurdler, post: 913569, member: 1170”]No I really don’t bandage. Do you? The fact that some people above think that I really do, including yourself by the sound of it makes me smile.
I would say they yuri geller is more likely to influence the outcome of the championship. It is a particular foible of the GAA and its reporting, that a win or a loss in a big game is put down to some minor incident previously, or the way the wind shook the barley or some such shite. Games are by and large won by the team that is better, or luckier, or has John Denton on their side over the seventy minutes. Everything else is superfluous. Will Cody and kk attempt to use a bit of propaganda to further their only aim? Indeed they will, like saf and other successful managers and brands.
One only has to look at the way the kk franchise tried to hype an innocuous comment by joe canning into the Cuban missile crisis prior to the replay in 2012 as an example.[/quote]

If it’s not going to affect the outcome why are you so riled up about it.

It was the media who hyped up that Joe Canning comment

Fogarty and Shefflin playing a blinder here throwing a bone to the Cork boys while also taking the piss out of them. Well played lads, well played.

Is flatty a bit touched?