Michael Fennelly
Padraig Walsh
Richie Hogan
Colin Fennelly
TJ Reid
Richie Power
Mark Kelly
Henry Shefflin

No room for B Hogan, Walter, Larkin or Tommy Walsh among others.

Bit harsh on Wally.

he’s clearly experimenting, otherwise P Walsh would be WB instead of Holden. Lester Ryan seems to have fallen well down the pecking order

His new ross schooling (grip) will always go against him

@Midshipman Asha your thoughts on Sunday and the Kilkenny possible championship team please

Here’s what I’d like to see start against Offaly

Murphy
Murphy
JJ
Kennedy
P Walsh
Joyce
Buckley
Hogan
M Fennelly
TJR
C Fennelly
Wally
Shefflin
Kelly
R Power

Whatever about the forward positions, that’s the 6 I’d start although Richie Power is hanging on by a thread I reckon. His brother might be given his championship go against Offaly, wouldn’t mind seeing that happen.
I’m surprised Joyce hasn’t been given a run at centre back and think that he’s the one to take the spot for the next couple of years.

[QUOTE=“Piles Hussain, post: 941287, member: 363”]Here’s what I’d like to see start against Offaly

Murphy
Murphy
JJ
Kennedy
P Walsh
Joyce
Buckley
Hogan
M Fennelly
TJR
C Fennelly
Wally
Shefflin
Kelly
R Power

Whatever about the forward positions, that’s the 6 I’d start although Richie Power is hanging on by a thread I reckon. His brother might be given his championship go against Offaly, wouldn’t mind seeing that happen.
I’m surprised Joyce hasn’t been given a run at centre back and think that he’s the one to take the spot for the next couple of years.[/QUOTE]
For fuck sake they could start yourself and the Link Walsh at midfield against Offaly and you’d still beat them.

Well it was the first match this year that I wasn’t actually at so from TV viewing I thought in the second half the half backs and midfield did well. Michael Fennelly’s improvement in touch is only a
good thing and he should get better. Lester didn’t blunder about as much, Cillian Buckley is a different player from 12-18 months ago and Padraig Walsh is certainly not doing Tommy any favours. Obviously centre back is a problem , Brian Hogan is probably more mobile than Jackie but neither have the pace so I don’t know. I thought Joyce might have shown more as an option there but he might yet.
The forwards were much poorer than other outings but still managed a few scores and if you include Richie Hogan as starting in the forwards there are 9 or 10 of them scrapping for the spots.

You are right about JJ being nailed on for full back - there is no one near him for it. He doesn’t have pace but he is crafty out and ever so measured in his actions plus if Lester remains benched JJ will be captain and as rumour has it this is definitely his last year then you’d imagine he will give it his all. Paul Murphy will stay in the corner (I’ve heard (reliably ) the selectors feel he does his best work there), I think Brian Kennedy will start too- (Freshford are playing Ballycallan this weekend and I intend to have a squint at it and see how he does.)
Cillian Buckley will start at seven and I would assume P Walsh will start at 5.
Midfield will be Ml Fennelly and I think, Michael Rice, if fit. He was going really well in the run up to the start of the Walsh Cup but got a severe blow to the leg in training which caused a blood clot to develop- this had just healed when he got a belt on the ankle, he has been so unlucky with injuries but when he plays he is a brilliant link player which could work well with the running one two passing game the forwards seem to be striving for these days.
Lester is the type the selectors like- hardworking and nonstop but Ml Rice has more to offer.
If you say that Richie Hogan, TJ Reid, Colin Fennelly and Richie Power (in my view) are sure starters that leaves just two spaces. I think Mark Kelly will lose out so it will probably be one of Henry or Eoin Larkin and Walter Walsh, maybe, probably …
. Who knows???

N.B
Oh I think John Power will be used if he goes at all well in training. I get the impression the selectors like him too and apparently he has some rocket of a shot!!! (Even their own mother believes he is/ will be better than Richie!!!)

N.B.B
Did you know Eoin Murphy is the Powers’ cousin?

I think 1-9 will be the same as last year other than the switch of brothers.
People have talked about Kilkenny backs being taken to the cleaners in the championship since Cody took over.
How many times has it actually happened? 2? Galway 2005, Tipp 2010.

We didn’t defend badly last year at all. Our problem was injuries at midfield and up front which led to a total lack of production from our forwards.

Who put up the biggest score against us in championship hurling last year?

[SIZE=5]Offaly 4-9[/SIZE]
Dublin 0-17
Dublin 1-16
Tipperary 1-14
Cork 0-19

From what I’ve seen of Power which isn’t much, he seems to be a more skilful but more flaky version of his brother. He definitely has great potential. Hopefully Cody will do and Eddie Brennan like transformation on him. Richie has to be one of the most frustrating players to watch. In fairness to him, he nearly took the game to Dublin on his own last year when the chips were down but I agree that he’s on thin ice at this stage.

For what it is worth here’s the team I’d like to see:
Murphy
Jackie
JJ
Kennedy
P Walsh
P Murphy
Buckley
Fennelly
Hogan
Walter
Fennelly
TJ
R Power
Kelly
Larkin

[QUOTE=“cluaindiuic, post: 941583, member: 258”]I think 1-9 will be the same as last year other than the switch of brothers.
People have talked about Kilkenny backs being taken to the cleaners in the championship since Cody took over.

We didn’t defend badly last year at all. Our problem was injuries at midfield and up front which led to a total lack of production from our forwards.

Dublin 0-17
Dublin 1-16
Tipperary 1-14
Cork 0-19
[/QUOTE]
Galway 2012 leinster final
Your HFs spend a lot of the time in MF and the MF’s spend most of the time covering the central defensive positions. KK had a lack of pace for last 2 years (JJ, Hogan, Tyrell, T Walsh) , but their setup stopped this from being exposed but it also prevented the high scoring overlap forward play of the previous years, this was especially evident v Dublin and Waterford. Re injuries, the M Fenelly one was huge, which were the other ones up front you refer to?

[QUOTE=“Kid Chocolate, post: 941605, member: 553”]Galway 2012 leinster final
Your HFs spend a lot of the time in MF and the MF’s spend most of the time covering the central defensive positions. KK had a lack of pace for last 2 years (JJ, Hogan, Tyrell, T Walsh) , but their setup stopped this from being exposed but it also prevented the high scoring overlap forward play of the previous years, this was especially evident v Dublin and Waterford. Re injuries, the M Fenelly one was huge, which were the other ones up front you refer to?[/QUOTE]

TJ Reid
Shefflin
Rice

[QUOTE=“corner back, post: 941587, member: 1572”]From what I’ve seen of Power which isn’t much, he seems to be a more skilful but more flaky version of his brother. He definitely has great potential. Hopefully Cody will do and Eddie Brennan like transformation on him. Richie has to be one of the most frustrating players to watch. In fairness to him, he nearly took the game to Dublin on his own last year when the chips were down but I agree that he’s on thin ice at this stage.

For what it is worth here’s the team I’d like to see:
Murphy
Jackie
JJ
Kennedy
P Walsh
P Murphy
Buckley
Fennelly
Hogan
Walter
Fennelly
TJ
R Power
Kelly
Larkin[/QUOTE]

John Power is an exciting player- he gets the ball and literally you don’t know where it’ll finish up, it could slice through the net or end up in the Guidera’s front room in Assumption. Although I think he is getting more accurate

Regarding Paul Murphy, I too, thought that bringing out who has been our best defender for two years now, would be the answer to the centre back issue but from what I know they feel he is better suited in the corner with a specific task as opposed to the freer cb role

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 941626, member: 110”]TJ Reid
Shefflin
Rice[/QUOTE]
Rice is not a forward, TJ Reid is he really that prolific above say Walter Walsh?
Shefflin played v Tipperary, Waterford and v Cork

[QUOTE=“cluaindiuic, post: 941583, member: 258”]I think 1-9 will be the same as last year other than the switch of brothers.

Dublin 0-17
Dublin 1-16
Tipperary 1-14
Cork 0-19
[/QUOTE]
Wrong. The answer is actually Waterford 2-16.

Balls, I thought I included them. Anyway Waterford scored 0-15 in normal time.

Henry Shefflin out for 6 weeks with stress fracture. The lad is cursed with injury for the last few years

Cody is trying to break him

Richie Power pulled hamstring in club game tonight

JJ Delaney was rolled over by a tractor, the tractor toppled over after it destroyed JJ and unfortunately Jackie Tyrell was at the wheel and there was no safety cabin in place, both are critical and unlikely to hurl ever again