Kilkenny v Limerick 2019

D Dempsey is well able to win his own ball when the flight of it gives him a 50/50 chance.

If we hit 11 wides in the first half from distance over our forwards heads…6 Mick Mackeys wouldnt make a difference.

If we don’t do that…I give us a fighting chance.

2 Likes

Lads here want Dowling kept and Dempsey dropped based on the Clare game :confused: :thinking:

1 Like

No one saying that… If… IF… Dowling plays it has to be FF. I also said that I don’t think Dempsey and Hayes should be in the same line.

The only reason Dowling would be kept on form is the frees. And I would keep him for that for the moment. I’d have Nash for Dempsey.

3 years ago a 21 year old SD gave one of the best defenders in the history of the game lots of problems in CP.

I’d have Nash starting for Mulcahy.

Its a toss of a coin between himself and P Casey as I dont believe you could start those two together vs KK.

Mul could do a job when it opens up in the second half.

I’d start Hayes, Nash, Hegarty, Casey, Dempsey and Dowling (with strict instruction to stay FF).

5 others moving position after every 2 puckouts for the first 10 mins.

Orthodox 15 man hurling and if we’re beaten so be it.

I would start Dempsey all day long, and start him close to goal. The in-form out-and-out scorer for Limerick at the moment.

1 Like

If Dowling plays Ff we have to have a 3 man full forward line .

Agree . Generally when Dempsey gets on the ball something happens .

He played well in a 2 man FF line in 14 against these fellas.

He hasn’t played a good game since for Lk since . He just hasn’t the mobility to play that game . In 2014 he got ball that suited .

If the ball in isnt improved massively from the Clare game…it’ll be all the one mate.

If he gets good ball in, then he can be fairly critiqued.

He was never the quickest.

Lads forget what Dowling can do very fast. He is being played out of position and asked to be chasing back the field where he is miles from goal and completely ineffective. I called this early in the league. Dowling with Casey and Nash either side of him should be the full forward line. On the other hand, Hayes is way more effective from half forward and also has the legs to chase back the field and can actually play wing back. The switch is a no brainer.

I still think Dempsey will be more effective from the bench, he’ll probably fit just as many plays into 20mins from the bench as he will playing from the start.

4 Likes

Pace up front is the key v KK as Wexford proved. KK are currently running with 6 of the most average defenders they’ve had since the 90s.

If Kiely hasn’t his team prepared from the MF & HB lines to spray it in quick & low he should be shown the door.

Wexford & Clare have drawn the template already this year. Tipp the apes tried to run through KK & it failed.

1 Like

Yes. All said already…it won’t happen tho, players will revert to type under pressure.

Have you seen that O’Shea chap who is playing Corner Back for them?

Regardless, i don’t think ye can keep Reid & Hogan marked to get the job done.

Anyone who knows me would know I’m a huge fan of Dowling, I was solely talking about the Clare game. He was really good in 2014, he was one of our better players in 2015 and was by no means the worst last year.

He hasn’t really been as good as he could be this year so far. I really wanted him to be at wing-forward and for that to work. It’d be my preference to have a full-forward who will get the ball, turn and run at the full-back which he’ll never do. He’s a target man full-forward and that’s grand, he’s good at that but I was hoping we’d change that up a bit this year. I think we did try to but Dowling hasn’t worked at wing-forward really and I do think we keep him in there because he’s always capable of scoring a few points and he’s a top class free-taker. He’s lethal if he gets the ball into his hand and that’s the real thing.

It’s not just lethal with ball in hand for a score, he has better vision than most forwards we’ve had for years to give a scoring pass. Casey has it too. And if Lynch is getting on enough ball at midfield or centre forward he adds even more. It’s been massively missing from our forwards in recent years. Throw in Hayes Nash and Hegarty tearing through and you’ve got a set of forwards that will finally threaten goals.

1 Like

That full forward line, a half forward line of Hayes, Hegarty and Colin Ryan, Cian Lynch and Paul Browne at midfield

1 Like