Galway - dual travails part 2

1 Like

Is Gavin one of Johnnie or Vennie’s line? @mikehunt?

Not sure but I imagine it’d be Vinny’s. He’s married to one of the Morgans so the hurling genes would be promising.

1 Like

As an aside I’ve noticed very few Thomas’s lads on recent Galway underage squads. Perhaps a sign that there isn’t much coming through there at the moment to replace the current side when they eventually run out of road.

Good to see a couple of Athenry lads involved there, maybe Kimmage could do a follow-up piece.

1 Like

Given the size of the parish it’s hardly that surprising. A platinum generation.

Do the minors have to play home games away?

Gleeson dropped? Not even on the bench.

Comer back amongst the subs.

1 Like

Bit harsh if dropped. He was let down by the lads in front of him for that goal last weekend.

1 Like

Don’t think the numbers are great at underage at the moment there.

I didn’t see that last week but I thought he had steadied up a bit in recent games.

John Maher an interesting starter

McDaid seems to be injured although haven’t heard what’s wrong with him. Had some strapping on his leg earlier in the league. Hopefully just needs to rest it.

1 Like

Bernie has lost a fair few lbs and got himself in good shape, be nice to see him go well with his chance.

My beloved Kingston road parking spot already gone. Predicting 15k at this.

1 Like

The Galway Under 20 hurling team to play Dublin in Saturday’s opening round Leinster championship clash has been selected. Galway have thirteen players available who saw game time in last year’s Leinster championship defeat to Kilkenny, eleven of whom will start on Saturday. They can also call on Tiernan Killeen and Gavin Lee this year- they were unavailable last year as they had, by then, played senior championship for Galway.

Darragh Walsh is the team goalkeeper with Michael Walsh and Tiernan Killeen occupying the central defensive positions. Liam Leen and Diarmuid Davoren form the midfield pairing while upfront Gavin Lee, Liam Collins and Colm Molloy are among the capable forward unit at Galway’s disposal.

The aforementioned trio of Tiernan Killeen, Gavin Lee and Liam Collins as well as Sean O’Hanlon have all played in the National Hurling League for Galway this year while Greg Thomas saw action with the Galway seniors in 2022.

The team is captained by Adam Nolan.

The game is live on Galway Bay Fm, commencing at 3pm from St.Brendan’s Park in Birr.

The Galway team in full is:

1. Darragh Walsh (Turloughmore)

2. Tiarnán Leen (Craughwell)

3. Michael Walsh (Ardrahan)

4. Adam Nolan (Kilnadeema/Leitrim)- captain

5. Patrick Burke (Oranmore/Maree)

6. Tiernan Killeen (Loughrea)

7. Seán O’Hanlon (Turloughmore)

8. Liam Leen (Clarinbridge)

9. Diarmuid Davoren (Moycullen)

10. Gavin Lee (Clarinbridge)

11. Oisin Lohan (Skehana-Mountbellew/Moylough)

12. Ronan Killilea (Carnmore)

13. Greg Thomas (Castlegar)

14. Liam Collins (Cappataggle)

15. Colm Molloy (Kilnadeema/Leitrim)

16. Donagh Fahy (Ardrahan)

17. Kieran Hanrahan (Loughrea)

18. Reuben Davitt (Oranmore/Maree)

19. Cillian Trayers (Turloughmore)

20. Rory Burke (Oranmore/Maree)

21. Cillian Whelan (Turloughmore)

22. Darren Murphy (Sarsfields)

23. James Bradley (Moycullen)

24. Conor Butler (Oranmore/Maree)

25. Oisin Keane (Sarsfields)

26. Darren Shaughnessy (Loughrea)

27. Fiachra McDonagh (Moycullen)

28. Joshua O’Connor (Kinvara)

29. Daniel Comar (Kilnadeema/Leitrim)

30. Paddy MacCartaigh (Sarsfields)

31. Micheal Power (Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry)

32. Keith Burke (Kilconieron)

3 Likes

Young Moclair is a grand nephew of the great Johnny Hughes.

1 Like

I presume Jonah Donnellan is a half brother of the great Cyril? Nice to see if that is the case.