Laptop Question

[quote=“The Puke”]A bit of advice off the techie nerds if possible there please lads…

I have AVG 8.0 security on my laptop and it is telling me my virus protection is out of date…How do I go about updating it?[/quote]

open the command centre and on the left are 3 options, click on the update now and away you go

Rightclick on AVG on the taskbar and you should see an option for updates.

Otherwise go to free.avg.com and go to updates.

That didn’t work foley…Updated and restarted the computer and was still out of date

throw up a screen shot

Files too big art

id take avg off adn install avast free instead puke… www.avast.com … i did that recentlyon my laptop and homepc and find it much more effective…knew well the home machine had a virus and avg didnt pick it up and avast did straight away

mail it to me artfoley56@yahoo.com

Sent it onto you there art

Investing in a new laptop myself and thinking of sticking with Dell since the Inspiron 6400 served me well for a few years. Anyone know anything about the Dell Studio range? It’s either that or the Inspiron 1525 or the new 15 model they have. Anyone here with any good or bad experience of any of these?

I am typing this on my Studio 15.

Have it about 6 months and must say I like the laptop itself but it can be a bit buggy at times. I put this down to me pre-ordering it and it being one of the first ones shipped. I’ve updated everything on it to the latest drivers but it still crashes a bit too regularly for my liking. That said I put this more down to Vista than to the laptop itself. I regret not putting XP Pro onto it when I got it.

For the money though it is great value the main bonus being the graphics card. The insprions just have the standard built in graphics card which meanst will struggle to cope with a lot of post 2000 games (but games like championship manager etc would be fine).

The Studio is much more stylish and has nicer features about it as well. You won’t go too far wrong with either model for the money so it’s all down to personal preference.

checkout the outlet store with Dell, www.dell.ie/outlet there’ll be some great deals there when they are clearing out a lot of the older stock

[quote=“The Runt”]I am typing this on my Studio 15.

Have it about 6 months and must say I like the laptop itself but it can be a bit buggy at times. I put this down to me pre-ordering it and it being one of the first ones shipped. I’ve updated everything on it to the latest drivers but it still crashes a bit too regularly for my liking. That said I put this more down to Vista than to the laptop itself. I regret not putting XP Pro onto it when I got it.

For the money though it is great value the main bonus being the graphics card. The insprions just have the standard built in graphics card which meanst will struggle to cope with a lot of post 2000 games (but games like championship manager etc would be fine).

The Studio is much more stylish and has nicer features about it as well. You won’t go too far wrong with either model for the money so it’s all down to personal preference.[/quote]

Wouldn’t be too bothered about flashy features to be honest. Reliability and a decent level of functionality would be sound. Don’t really play games that much either. Rome Total War was my only vice and anything that could run that would be good enough for me.

Anyone (especially runt) ever have their PC not reading flash drives? The ports are fine as far as I can tell (recognise ext drive) but usb stick not being detected at all. Woe is me.

If you go into My Computer are there any drives mapped above C: D: or E: ?
Sometimes if you have a drive mapped or assigned to a hard drive the USB isn’t able to show up on the system because it is looking for that specific drive. (If that makes any sense?)

Try this anyways:

Right CLick on My Computer

• Manage
  • click on disk management from the menu that appears on the left hand side.

Does your USB drive show up in the list of drives there?

[quote=“The Runt”]Try this anyways:

Right CLick on My Computer

• Manage
  • click on disk management from the menu that appears on the left hand side.

Does your USB drive show up in the list of drives there?[/QUOTE]

It’s showing up alright, on the lower half of the screen. Says no media under it.

Is this a new USB key or is there stuff on it?

It’s an 8GB key I’ve been using for ready boost. About two months old.

Right click on it in Disk Management and select Change Drive Letter (or something similar) and change it to a higher drive T: or something. See if that makes a difference

Did that already with no success. In the absence of a simple solution I’m thinking I might just get a new one altogether.