Limerick GAA 2019, the drive for five

If ever there was a case of from the frying pan to the fire

He knows the Club Scene extremely well so heā€™s okay.

Itā€™s always great to see balbec flouncing back.

1 Like

Good to have a manager anyway. Appointment of other selectors is important too, you need to have a good team around you. Another hurling coach wouldnā€™t go astray.

2 Likes

Beary has a decent bunch of players there. Agree with you on adding another coach.

Beary wouldnā€™t really know much about the players in that age group though? I always feel minor and u21 management teams need people who have been involved with a club at that age group of players for a few years. If you get a good fella who has been with a club side all the way through 12s,14s, 16s, by the time heā€™s with the club side at Minors he knows that age group very well and could name you off the best 20 to 25 players in the County at that age off the top of his head. These guys are out there and would be ideal to be getting involved in some capacity at the new u20 level when basically a year of some of these guys inter county careers has been lost due to the age change. Easy for good hurlers not playing with big clubs to be forgotten about in that context perhaps

2 Likes

Beary has been involved with the NAP underage teams kid

I certainly agree with the sentiment but itā€™s not impossible that Beary would have a very good knowledge of players. Obviously was over NaP last year so mightnā€™t have had time to watch many non-senior games in 2018 but some people simply just watch a lot of hurling.

They usually hold trials for 21s anyway.

I think Beary deserves a chance, he won the senior county last year, by all accounts was a decent selector under TJ so I wish him the absolute best of luck.

Who he gets in with him is key though.

1 Like

The accademy short circuits most of that. Most of these kids are in the system.

The current u19 group have been out of the system since u16 level, because when they were u17 they were beaten by Cork in 1st round (after a paltry attempt at preparing the team for that new u17 competition that ran separately to the still - in - existence u18 comp).

Being blunt about this , one feels that them in the know didnā€™t chase this job . There are some decent players but one would fear for Lk this year . The draw isnā€™t favourable either .

I hope and will be thrilled if I am proven wrong .

There have been a number of cases of players who may have been on B teams or fringes of the panel all along and then improved dramatically. Gillane is a decent example.

We had 4 on the Limerick U-17s two years ago, but thereā€™s a young fella Oā€™Keeffe who would have been considered behind them at that stage, but he has really come on since- captained our minors this year, started every Premier Intermediate Championship game and surpassed his own teammates & opposition alike who would have been ahead of him in county setups. Iā€™d give him a very good chance of playing U-20 next year but if he had been in the system, maybe he could be even better.

Iā€™m not happy about the Beary appointment. He was involved in a very poor senior set up with limerick and looks to have been ran out of his own club job after one year.

I watched the SF back again last night, they were home and hosed. When fitzgibbon put them 6 up after mul lost the ball it seemed like it was all over. A horrible looking Cork one in the crowed giving it big licks and Duignan had them in the final. I was in the states watching it on gaa go and went loop de loop when Dowling stuck the pen. I knew tho when we bate kk we could do. Peter caseys contribution from qtr final to final cannot be underestimated, work rate alone. Luimneach abu

3 Likes

A bit like them singing competition TV shows I hit the like button early on this one!

:ronnyroar:

Billy Lee seems to be the only manager in favour of the rule changesā€¦

Odd when you consider thereā€™s probably about half a dozen lads in the county who can actually kick the ball.

1 Like

I suspect Billy is hopping the ball here.

1 Like

@Aristotle when are the club fixtures likely to be out