Limerick GAA 2019, the drive for five

I think they have peaked . Interesting to see if Mungret and Monaleen can step up now . Underage hurling in Limerick now needs a lot of work in the clubs .

We’ve done our bit time for others to step forward

1 Like

In terms of real standouts at this level, they’d have the two Boylans but they wouldn’t have a whole pile of others who’d have senior experience. Young McEvoy from last year’s minors should be there. Think Conor Houlihan might be overage. Still won the minor in 2016 so are probably just generally strong across the board.

That’s 2 good wins for Doon though; beating a very strong Kilmallock & now Garryspillane who have won the last 2 minors.

The u21 championship was always played from late summer onwards over weekends and was great to keep lads involved . I am not certain playing it in feb and March is a good idea .

1 Like

A token gesture to run it off and get it out of the way early

1 Like

Its an awful idea altogether. These lads are playing colleges and what not.

Agreed but the vast majority aren’t playing colleges and that is the real issue .

We wouldn’t be able to field in the summer between the Leaving Cert first of all, then J1s and other holidays.

It’s a tough one to field for at any time of the year tbh and plays second fiddle.

When they played it at the end of the year I was coaching a side who played a County Premier Quarter Final under lights in the Gaelic Grounds on the 5th of December. When the boys went to pick the helmets off the ground and put them on for the end of the warm up they were covered in a lovely frost

1 Like

Na they just swapped the hurling and football championships about ten years ago. The reason at the time was because lack of flood lit pitches and a better surface for hurling this time of the year.

1 Like

Think the master fixture list for the year was approved last night @TreatyStones

Haven’t seen it yet myself.

Ya I have a copy.

Football championship the w/o 30th March, 7th April, 28th July, 5th August, 25th August.
County league first 3 weekends in March.

All County hurling league doesn’t kick off until May when there is three matches over consecutive weeks.

Not ideal for sides who have two championship games in April and would have liked a match or two in advance.

1 Like

It would be great if the all county league was on every Friday from may to august. Have a finals day maybe the august bank holiday. Put 5k cash to the winners of each league. Home and away games with people knowing that every Friday there’s a game on at 7pm. Build some interest in the clubs. That’s why soccer and rugby is far more attractive to play at the moment - it’s much more social. Rugby lads know their playing on a Saturday and going for pints afterwards. I know of junior teams talking about giving up drink till championship. It’s fucking ridiculous.

1 Like

I think the club would fold if we made that suggestion

2 Likes

All league games in both codes are fixed for Saturday evenings this year. Whether the clubs stick to this is another thing.

Is that for all divisions?

Football starts on first weekend in March. Hurling first weekend in May.

It’s crazy late in the year for Junior A Clubs, their Divisional Championships won’t start until June and a few County League games in May. I know of at least 2 junior hurling teams who were due back training first Friday in February who have postponed going back until March. And they’re right, ffs training in shit and muck and freezing in January /February and not out in championship until June, you’d want your head tested

2 Likes

I have a feeling they were last year too, but the clubs do have some freedom to move them.

It’s the 4 weeks of league in May that I’d have a slight problem with. The clubs hardly voted for that; ideally we’d have at least 2 league games in the run-up to Championship. They’re always the best league games.

Between Limerick hurlers & footballers, Limerick U-20s and the Leaving Cert; we could be down a fair few even by May. At least it’s before J1s kick in.

Still, I’d be hoping to get a couple moved pre-April if at all possible.