Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Predicting this Junior competition is almost impossible; there seems to be no consistency whatsoever. What it does make for is a lot of excitement, some teams will be knocked out for certain after this weekend but, generally, the groups are still really up in the air which is great for the neutral.

Junior A Group 1

Askeaton vs Doon 2
Patrickswell 2 vs Feenagh/Kilmeedy
Monaleen 2 vs Mungret/St. Paulā€™s 2

Doon got a great win against the Well last day out to keep them in the hunt but probably need a favour from the Well against Feenagh/Kilmeedy. Askeaton had a good win on the first day and are now out of the football, so can focus entirely on hurling if they so wish. They might give Doon a bit of a rattle but I think the formlines would suggest that Doon will win this one, Iā€™ll say by 5 points. The Well are practically out, which is a shock after being county finalists last year. However, if they beat Feenagh/Kilmeedy, it could open up the group for Doon to sneak through in second place. F/K have two tough games to play but have been decent so far. Iā€™ve backed the Well in every game so far and theyā€™ve only won one, Iā€™m going to switch to F/K here and say theyā€™ll win by 2. Mungret will hammer Monaleen to seal their place in the knockout stages; Mungret by 18.

Junior A Group 2

St. Kieranā€™s vs Monagea
St. Patrickā€™s vs Garryspillane 2
Kilteely/Dromkeen vs Ahane 2

This group was thrown open last weekend by the Kilteely/Dromkeen vs Monagea result and it means that 4 of the 6 teams are on 4 points, the Bouncers are on 2 and Ahane are on 0. So really, itā€™s anyoneā€™s group. This is the big round as regards qualification, whoever gets the wins this weekend will be in pole position. So at least one of Kieranā€™s & Monagea wonā€™t be on 6 points; Kieranā€™s bounced back from an opening weekend hammering to beat Patā€™s, while Monagea also bounced back from a poor result against Patā€™s to beat K/D. Almost impossible to call this, both are now out of the football, a West derby, should be a cracker in Knockaderry on Saturday. Iā€™d go draw if I could, but Iā€™ll tip Monagea by 1. I do think that Patā€™s will win against Garryspillane; they should have too much for them. Patā€™s by 9. And, similarly, Ahane have actually done alright in some matches but K/D will bounce back to win this by 12. Will make for a very interesting final round though, Patā€™s vs K/D to come.

Junior A Group 3

Ballybricken/Bohermore vs Crecora/Manister
Old Christians vs Templeglantine
Dromcollogher/Broadford vs Caherline

Ballybricken/Bohermore have reigned supreme in this group so far, the only team to go three from three and that would not have been expected at the outset. One more win this weekend should see them through, but Crecora have bounced back from a loss to Drom to get two wins in a row and certainly wonā€™t fear B/B. Cathal Oā€™Neill did the business the last day and will have to be minded. I havenā€™t tipped B/B in any of their tight matches yet, and Iā€™m leaning towards Crecora this time but Iā€™ll look fair stupid if B/B keep up their form and win again. Still, Iā€™m going for the CON factor to see Crecora through by 2. Templeglantine had an awful start with two defeats but then could possibly have ended Dromā€™s hopes by beating them comprehensively last weekend. Glantine will beat the struggling Christians by 12 or so, but it might be too little, too late. Caherline had started well but slipped up against B/B, they now really need to beat D/B. Itā€™s very hard to see last yearā€™s county semi-finalists, D/B, progress from this group, even with Christians to play but to give themselves any chance, they have to win here. Very hard to call, on paper I would say that D/B have more in them but it now probably means more to Caherline. Iā€™ll go for Caherline by 1.

Junior A Group 4

Rathkeale vs Killeedy
Claughaun vs Staker Wallace
Castletown/Ballyagran vs Ballybrown 2

Rathkeale and Killeedy face off tonight in Mick Neville Park (allowed because itā€™s not Rathkeale GAAā€™s home ground). Rathkeale caused a major upset to beat Ballybrown last week and now have two wins on the board. I still donā€™t see them beating Killeedy, even though Ballybrown beat Killeedy well. Again, this group sees three teams on 4 points, and one on 6, so itā€™ll be a really tight finish. But I expect Killeedy to put themselves in pole position here, and to win by 7. Claughaun and Stakers are both on 0 points; Claughaun another side who were county semi-finalists last year who have massively underperformed this year. Claughaun should beat Stakers but thereā€™ll be no knockouts for them this year. Claughaun by 9. Ballybrow were in a great place heading into the game against Rathkeale, with two good wins under their belt, but C/B have won every game so far and have been the only one of the real contenders to show consistency in this Championship. I donā€™t see them losing here, which will make the final round really interesting. Should be an interesting game though, C/B by 4.

7 Likes

Friday 1st October

Bon Secours Hospital Limerick, Senior Hurling Cup Final
Garryspillane v Kildimo/Pallaskenry

Woodlands House Hotel, Junior A Hurling Championship Group 4 Round 4
Rathkeale v Killeedy

Saturday 2nd October

Bon Secours Hospital Limerick, Senior Hurling Section A Relegation Final
Ahane v Ballybrown

Bon Secours Hospital Limerick, Senior Hurling Section B Relegation Final
Blackrock v Monaleen

Lyons of Limerick, Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi Final
Mungret/St. Paulā€™s v Glenroe

Lyons of Limerick, Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship Relegation Final
Bruff v Murroe/Boher in Caherconlish at 4pm

Nick Grene Maintenance Sportsground, Intermediate Hurling Championship Quarter Final
Croom v Granagh/Ballingarry

Nick Grene Maintenance Sportsground, Intermediate Hurling Championship Relegation Semi Final
Tournafulla v Hospital/Herbertstown

Woodlands House Hotel, Junior A Hurling Championship

Askeaton v Doon
Patrickswell v Feenagh/Kilmeedy
St. Kieranā€™s v Monagea
Ballybricken/Bohermore v Crecora/Manister
Old Christians v Templeglantine
Claughaun v Staker Wallace

Sunday 3rd October
Bon Secours Hospital Limerick, Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Final
Kilmallock v South Liberties
Adare v Patrickswell

Lyons of Limerick, Premier Hurling Championship Semi Final
Newcastle West v Cappamore

Nick Grene Maintenance Sportsground, Intermediate Hurling Championship Quarter Final
Croagh/Kilfinny v Na Piarsaigh
Bruree v Pallasgreen
Knockaderry v Effin

Nick Grene Maintenance Sportsground, Intermediate Hurling Championship Relegation Semi Final
Feohanagh v Kilmallock

Woodlands House Hotel, Junior A Hurling Championship
Monaleen v Mungret/St. Paulā€™s
Kilteely/Dromkeen v Ahane
St. Patrickā€™s v Garryspillane
Dromcollogher/Broadford v Caherline
Castletown/Ballyagran v Ballybrown

Ballybricken went unbeaten in the league and only lost the Co Intermediate League Final to an Intermediate side, Croagh/Kilfinny. They remain unbeaten in the championship. So have not lost to another Junior side all year. I reckon theyā€™ve got your predictions hanging up on the dressing room door! :laughing:

I thought Gillane was injured?

:+1: 1 up already

1 Like

Walkover?

Old Christians or Stakers?

Monaleen Iā€™d say?

1 Like

Correct.

Will it mess up score difference in that group for anyone? They gave a walkover last year too I think

It would do if more than two teams were tied as head-to-head couldnā€™t be used,

The big man would be so proud. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Are ye through as group winners now?

No. A round to go yet

I know Iā€™m awful harsh on them. I just think theyā€™re practically through now anyway, and Crecora are fighting for their lives.

Ballybricken not through yet, they face Crecora and Templeglantine in last 2 games, Glantine knocked them out last year, Iā€™d say theyā€™ll be all guns blazing to get the job done this weekend.

The Junior A is a great oul championship for ups and downs and unpredictability

1 Like

The lads were only pulling your leg last week. AG is fine.

Monaleen should be fucked down Junior B now and no more about it.

Is there any more talk of that restructuring and split the junior A?

1 Like

Well done kid. Big turn around in a year. Must be great to have numbers :smiley:

1 Like

They have changed that now so that if 3 clubs are tied they use points difference between them 3. A mini league if you like. Assuming the team that gave the walkover isnā€™t one of the 3