Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Not good

Day light robbery tonight.

A very poor performance overall. Clare outfought and outworked them for the most part and missed a few handy chances near the end to put 4 between them.

CON, Coughlan and Quilty stepped up in the last 5/6 Mins . Need to perform 150% better the next day

1 Like

I don’t know how we won that match. Clare had so many chances to finish it. We’ll never play as bad again. Cathal O’Neill the man for the big occasion with the masterful score to win it. I actually feel sorry for Clare.
Suppose the longer we stayed in it there was always a chance we could knick a goal. Fantastic goal from CON from what seemed about 25m out. Could have had a goal 3 minutes before it only for a great save from Clare keeper.

1 Like

King CON

5 Likes

The wind absolutely destroyed that game; I don’t know if you could tell from the TV how bad it was but it was as bad as I’ve ever seen in the Gaelic Grounds. So I would have a lot of sympathy for goalkeepers for both sides.

I’d be more disappointed with our second half display; we didn’t feed our full-forward line anywhere near enough and allowed Clare slow the game down by giving away stupid frees. Maybe panicked a little or something, made some stupid decisions on the ball. Clare worked harder than us for the most part.

Despite that, we did create goal chances, even if we weren’t as clinical as we needed to be. I thought the Clare keeper looked very solid, impressive display.

Cathal is class. Stood up when he was needed. I thought Coughlan did well in the second half too, the only one who did feed the ball inside. Quilty scored an unbelievable point and swept up when he was required, a captain stands up when his team needs him. Impressed with Scully from the bench too. But some of the other big players didn’t perform.

6 Likes

Some show from O’Neill in fairness. Win the game for Limerick then dip out of the u20 campaign.

1 Like

Just back from TUS GG.

Now that’s what you call a smash and grab.

Horrible night, more akin to November. Biting cold, dreary, damp, hurricane-like breeze and in no way conducive to decent hurling.

Clare were better for all but about 3 minutes of the whole match, amazing how they go home empty handed. Went in 7 points up when double that wouldn’t have flattered them. After an early salvo of 1-01 Limerick would score a solitary point in the next 30 minutes.

Clare were so much more up for it. They brought energy and hunger while the home side were extremely lethargic. Fairly dire to be honest.

Second half wasn’t much better. Just so bad in almost every facet of the game. Clare clung on to a three point lead late in and had chance after chance to get it out to four and finish the match but fluffed it every single time.

Quilty and Coughlan belatedly brought some fight to proceedings, then King CON stepped up and the great escape was complete. Totally undeserved but I gave a fine Brendan Bugler style fist pump as the winner sailed over at the death.

You’d think if Cork are at anything they’ll beat both those teams tonight handy but having a game under the belt will stand to both.

In fairness to Mullins and his management it must have been a nightmare trying to prepare a squad over the past few weeks and months. Lads on the senior panel, lads playing freshers, lads with ASR plus injuries to four or five certain starters. The build up can’t have run smoothly.

Got out of jail tonight and you’d have to think they’ll never be as bad again. Credit to them for sticking at it when little went right all night but major improvement needed. A few lads got a kick up the arse tonight which is no bad thing in the long run.

The class of O’Neill saved the day and this will probably be his only u-20 outing for the year. Stupid rule, once they aren’t training with both seniors and the 20’s seven nights a week.

8 Likes

Sheer class

3 Likes

Arguably the most impressive thing about this video is his reaction to the goal. He’s just equalised in the last minute but there’s pretty much no celebration. It’s immediately about getting back into position to try and win the game, plenty of time for celebrating after he’s scored the winner. Unreal.

8 Likes

He gave a senior display there tonight. Its a pity that he may miss out on the rest of the u20’s championship if he gets a run with the seniors.

2 Likes

Such a stupid rule. I know I’ve said it before many times but it’s a fucking joke of a rule.

Him going toe to toe with CiarĂĄn Joyce would havd been majestic.

3 Likes

It makes no sense, mate.

In O’Neills case he has probably played close to 14 or 15 games already in 2022 between UL freshers, Munster league and national league games.

Joyce is probably in or around the same. I don’t really buy the burnout thing from playing u20’s championship matches.

Another one. The Clare lads were throwing themselves to the ground playacting all night. It was embarrassing

4 Likes

He’ll more than get a run. Hard to see anyone starting ahead of him

He will be close to starting alright. In fairness the half forward line is not an easy one to break on to though.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s 100% gone which is an awful shame. He did his bit tonight though, 1-3 from play and a very difficult goal from a free.

Also, quick point on Chan. Probably too ambitious with his puckouts against the wind but it was an absolute nightmare into that wind. His puckouts were superb in the second half, couple of really good ones into space on the wings. He also made a couple of saves and took a shot from going over the crossbar at a point where it would have put them 4 up. We won by a point, that was absolutely crucial.

4 Likes

Chan was unbelievably assured under a few high balls that came in. You’re spot on re the one that would have been a point.

Some of the puckouts went astray but it was a horrible evening re wind out there.

I liked what I saw from him overall.

I feel like with good conditions this team has potential. Without CON it’s difficult but there are some good prospects in that side. Outside of the senior lads, Quilty, Kirby, SOB, Stokes, Fergal O Connor were decent and hopefully will continue to improve. A win is a win is a win. Cork will be much tougher opposition but they won’t fear them

1 Like

Topspin kills baby :tornado:

1 Like

Embarrassing is right. The lad that toddled over in front of a Limerick lineball and tactfully threw himself down and cocked his leg in the air was comical. The linesman just motioned to move it forward beyond him and play away! Didier Drogba came to mind.

Clare could have done with all those minutes at the end to try rescue a draw but it wasn’t to be. They should learn from that you’d feel.

3 Likes