Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now 🐐

You’d need to be very cautious backing Limerick with the handicap. They’ve been doing enough to kill a game but then taking the foot off the gas. Giving 6 points to Kilkenny is loads.

I think Limerick will get a few goals & cover that handicap handy enough

I had them -8 at 13/5 v Tipp and they pulled the hand brake up with 10 to go.

I won’t be touching the handicap over or under.

1 Like

The referee is basically a Kilkenny man being from Carlow…I’d expect him to give more frees to Kilkenny…Kilkenny usually get more frees than the opposition if the all Ireland is anything to go by.

I can’t see anyone threatening us this year. I think I posted last year or the year before that I think we’ll win five in a row, and I am more sure of it now. I think this year’s edition is going to be the strongest team we’ve had yet. It looks like we will have everyone fit, and we’ve way more on our bench than we’ve had in years. Over the the last couple years there’s been talk that we need to and haven’t been adding one or two every year or we’d come acroppper soon. I think there’s been just enough added or changed to keep things fresh but most of the team is only hitting it’s prime and has another two years minimum at prime left. All things being equal we’ll be even stronger next year with the players coming through. Presuming Kiely and Kinnerk stay and want to make history, losing Hannon appears to me to be biggest risk to the team in the next two years, but I think he has loads left as well.

1 Like

Getting used to this national title thing.
Patsy’s is only humming along

2 Likes

Tell my uncle Tim the barman in there I was asking for him!

I’m going to just put in one cautionary note in that it’s only the league. I wouldn’t read anything into today’s game or other league victories on that basis.

Waterford looked so impressive in last year’s league semi-final and final and fell away badly after the defeat to Limerick. Obviously, we’re coming from a very different place to Waterford but even in 2019, we were All-Ireland champions, League champions, looked like we had found another level but then had a flat opening Championship game and were eventually caught by Kilkenny.

So I would look more to last year’s Championship games than anything we’ve seen in the league. And there’s no doubt that teams got a lot close to us last year than they did previously.

Clare drew with us in Ennis (obviously we were missing a good few), brought us to extra-time in the Munster Final (I don’t think we ever looked like losing but the gameplan they brought did work), we only narrowly beat Galway (again, we looked the better team but they found ways to create scoring chances and we weren’t able to stop them getting shots off) and Kilkenny in the final was close too.

And we don’t win last year’s All-Ireland without the contribution of our subs: O’Neill, Boylan and particularly Reidy all played big roles which wasn’t the case since 2018 really.

The obvious counter is that Lynch & Casey are back and that obviously does strengthen us. Mul worked hard but wasn’t a massive scoring threat last year, and Lynch allows Kyle to go to wing-back which gives us another huge attacking platform, not to mention Lynch’s own skill.

Other than through personnel, have we improved? Very very hard to know until Championship.

And, similarly, we won’t know whether other teams have improved either. You would imagine Cork & Tipp couldn’t be as bad. Pat Ryan & Liam Cahill are big upgrades in their respective management teams but I would suspect it might be a bit much to expect them to beat Limerick in year one (having said that, Cahill got Waterford to an All-Ireland final on the back of two winless seasons). Kilkenny also have new management and while their supporters won’t have much optimism after today, they should still get through Leinster and TJ is still to return. Davy also new in Waterford but seem to have a lot of injuries, Wexford & Dublin haven’t really suggested they have the players to contest with Limerick in recent years.

That leaves Galway & Clare who have managers further down the line and who both put it up to Limerick last year. Have they improved? Clare have Aidan McCarthy back but you couldn’t read anything into their league and maybe people are writing them off again as a result. A bad AI semi-final last year and I think Conlon’s absence shows they don’t have huge strength-in-depth but they executed the best plan to take on Limerick so far. Galway got lots of shots from distance away last year, but I think they will need to push a little bit higher up the pitch if they want to beat Limerick this year. I just don’t think you can leave Nash free for 70 minutes, especially with Kyle & Lynch back, more options for extra passes.

I think Limerick are still ahead of the pack but I’m just wary of it being like a Kilkenny 2009/2010 scenario. In 2008, Kilkenny looked absolutely unbeatable. Nobody got anywhere near them. In 2009, Tipp put it up to them, and perhaps should have won. KK slipped (with injuries) then in 2010. Tipp won a Munster in 2008 but improved massively into 2009 & 2010. I can’t identify a definite comparable contender but every single team obviously know how Limerick play now and I think the blueprint is there on how to beat us too.

4 Likes

Ye will win the All Ireland handy. @glasagusban is absolutely correct. If any team gets within 6 or 7 points in an important match (i.e. non round robin), they will be doing well. The gulf between Limerick and the rest is huge.

At this stage, ye have beaten Galway, Waterford, Cork and Kilkenny in finals. I’m sure Kiely would like to add Tipp to that role of honour but I don’t see that happening this season anyway. But it could be any of about four or five teams that Limerick end up hammering in the AI final.

1 Like

Limerick wouldnt hammer Tipp in an AI Final. Nobody hammers Tipp in an All Ireland Final.

Our record in finals is extraordinary. We always turn up and perform.

Sure we wouldn’t.

1 Like

A shame we won’t get to test out that theory.

6 Likes

Aye but they have received plenty of pastings in provincial finals, for someone who loves to live in the past you should be well aware of that.

I’m not so sure on that even.

We are usually the ones who hand out the pastings in these big games.

The 2011 and 2016 Munster Finals and 2009 All Ireland Semi Final being classics of this genre. We even beat Kilkenny by nearly 20 points in 2019.

I dont think this current crop from Limerick has ever done a proper number on Tipp - i.e. 6-19 to 2-06 in recent years despite Tipp being absolutely hopeless since 2019.

True. Usually the Tipp manager has em fired up like rabid dogs to get 35 minutes of mayhem, occasionally accompanied by frantic clapping, only for the superior stickmen to take over in the second half.

7 Likes

I doubt any county has three players who’d definitely start for Limerick.

Galway? Burke, Burke and Whelan or Mannion maybe.

Paud O’Dwyer who’s originally from Wexford.

Both burkes were excellent players but are well past it.