Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now šŸ

I could have a role yet.

1 Like

I didnā€™t see it as i was coaching but got a few text updates.

All jokes aside, itā€™s a very important thing to have. You canā€™t have an entire backroom team agreeing with each other all the time, somebody has to challenge the groupthink and offer differing opinions, point out potential flaws.

You then need a manager who takes all that feedback on board and is able to make the hard decision at the end. Some people take that dissenting opinion worse than others.

Iā€™ve been involved in a good few teams over the years and I would always try and see the flaws in what weā€™re trying to do. Itā€™s impossible to be perfect, there are pros and cons with everything, but you need to at least consider whether youā€™re making a mistake and then be able to stick or twist, as needs be. Managers need to be open to opinions but also decisive when it comes to it.

2 Likes

Team named:

John Fitz out, Davy back to corner-back, Ronan Lyons to 3.

Barry Duff back to 5, Scully stays 6.

English pushed in to 14, which opens up midfield for Joe Fitz & Kirby slotting back.

Liam Lynch isnā€™t even in the 24, must be injured, but SON comes in CF. Molloy who came on the last day also not on the bench, Mikey Gavin is in, Langan too?

Lots of reshuffling, but only two changes to the starting team- Fitz & Hayes replaced by Duff & SON.

Too many Fitzgeralds

I fear that selection only reinforces my earlier point.

Unreal. That full forward went full Donaghy with the socks up roaring at the goalie after the goal!

I like the forward selection. English out the field potentially can get on more ball but inside, particularly with SOB, heā€™s a real goal threat. Very tough to mark the two of them. Kirby is a natural midfielder imo, so that makes sense too, and I think Adam Fitz is more of a half-forward.

The backline Iā€™d be a bit more iffy of, just that that is the best balance. Barry Duff is a good player but hasnā€™t shown much so far in this Championship. Davy isnā€™t a natural man marking corner-back, I wouldnā€™t have said, a lovely hurler though. Lyons has got away with a few things so far, I think, need a big performance from him. And I still think Hurley would offer more at 6, especially with his long-range deliveries (again, I can see the reasoning for him at 7 but I just thought Scully got caught a couple of times by being too one-sided).

1 Like

I think myself that young Hurley is indicative of the managerial shortcomings. Heā€™s brave, intelligent and has plenty hurling, but he looks inhibited and afraid of making a mistake. He absolutely has the tools to make the step up to senior inter-county, but isnā€™t being done any favours at the minute.

1 Like

4 KP players in the football :clap:

I wouldnā€™t be so keen on picking 2 backs in the forward line tbh. But look, that full-forward line can get scores.

1 Like

I would say Cian will play as an orthodox wing forward and Maher will sweep.

Duff/Fitzgerald swap?

Agree completely.

Iā€™d say kinnerk is tricky enough too from what I hear and Iā€™d imagine thereā€™s an element of keeping him happy as well.

I thought Kinnerk was some kind of robot until i saw him up close against Galway last year.

Couldnt believe his carry on.

Iā€™d say heā€™s a bit of maverick. Them coaching types usually have an ego.

Kinnerk is just very intense.

I think heā€™s agreeable enough outside of his work but once he gets in the mode, heā€™s very intense. Incredibly good though.

Lots of strong personalities there, and thatā€™s probably Kielyā€™s best trait, being able to manage them all and get the best out of them.

1 Like

Did he do much with the football academy?

That was the day you should have been supporting your own county in an AI final but seeing Kinnerk squaring up to the Sheff is something that will live long in your memory instead.

1 Like

It was mostly coaching the coaches type of thing afaik. Heā€™d take the odd session every now and again, but it was mainly an overseer role.

I heard of a fella getting a talk with kiely for a couple of hours at Christmas. He said it was unreal stuff. Like you said he was saying how heā€™s overseeing so much and linking things together.