Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now 🐐

Who reads the mail?

I didn’t. I wouldn’t.

But I actually thought it was dangerous and negligent. So I did.

The Brits and the West Brits.

Hon Fitzy!

Interesting team, wonder is it a sweeper system? Some interesting positional selections. Good to see junior clubs represented too, and players rewarded for club form. Some serious talent in attack and that’s a very strong half-back line.

Limerick U20 Hurling team and Match panel v Waterford is released:

1. Josh O’Reilly (Ballybrown)

2. Ronan Lyons (Monaleen)

3. John Fitzgerald (Na Piarsaigh)

4. Evan O’Leary (Ahane)

5. David Fitzgerald (Kildimo / Pallaskenry)

6. Cian Scully (Dromin/Athlacca)

7. Ethan Hurley (Newcastle West)(Captain)

8. Barry Duff (Mungret/St. Pauls)

9. Adam English (Doon))

10. Fintan Fitzgerald (Mungret/St. Pauls)

11. Patrick O’Donovan (Effin) (vice captain)

12. John Kirby (Patrickswell)

13. Con Hayes (Newcastle West)

14. Adam Fitzgerald (Templeglantine)

15. Shane O’Brien (Kilmallock).

16. Killian Quaid (Murroe/Boher)

17. Joseph Fitzgerald (Monaleen)

18. SĂŠan Whelan (Cappamore)

19. Liam Dennehy (Glenroe)

20. Oisín O’Farrell (Askeaton)

21. Liam Lynch (Mungret/St Pauls)

22. Seán O’Neill (Blackrock)

23. Jack Molloy (Knockaderry)

24. William Dore (Dromin/Athlacca)

1 Like

I don’t recall English playing midfield before this year, has he?

Not that to my knowledge.

Another Kiely positional switch masterstroke in the making.

Some interesting positions there.

English obviously has done alright at midfield for the seniors and it does make sense, although you are taking a player with a real eye for goal a bit further away from goal.

It’s a small half-forward line on paper; while you could see POD doing a lot of damage from 11, John Kirby would seem like a small 12 and would be more known as a midfielder. Which is why I’m thinking possibly a sweeper. Adam Fitz always seemed more like a HF to me.

I suppose if you’re going to play a sweeper, Hurley is the man to play, he has a brilliant range of distribution. As close to Byrnes as you’ll get in underage hurling.

4 Likes

Nice balance to that team.

Hurley is far more two sided than Byrnes. Lovely striker of the ball.

I actually think that Kiely is making a mistake playing English further away from goal. Yes he is good but you’re missing out on a potential strike forward inside. Unlike other Limerick prototypes he has an eye for goal.

Hurley is more two-sided but still favours his left and although Byrnes doesn’t use his left much, there’s only a handful of players around who can do what he can off his right.

The ability to be able to absolutely ping the ball from inside in his own 45 and take out the half-back line completely, and create a fast ball for an inside forward… it’s an absolutely huge weapon for Limerick. Without it, we’re not able to play the same way we do.

I don’t disagree with your point on English but I have a feeling that, for Kiely, it might be a relatively short-term thing. I think English is an unbelievable talent, has the potential to be one of the very best, he has all the attributes and, as you say, is a huge goal threat with his directness. But he really struggled with injury last year, and maybe struggled a little bit in the inside forward line with senior intercounty full-backs right up his hole.

At midfield, he’ll get his hands on way more ball; we cut our three backup midfielders from the panel so there’s an opportunity there. Get him comfortable playing at this level and then move him back inside in the next year or two.

At 20s level, his goal threat is more of a loss, I think. Although scored a lot of goals at underage from wing-forward too.

1 Like

Not sure this match should be taking place. Looks dangerous.

1 Like

Cathal Hayes goal; awful mistake by the keeper.

Weather is horrific.

Pitch is waterlogged as fuck, this shouldn’t be played tbh.

1 Like

What are we doing playing a game like this on an evening like this?

Just crazy stuff.

1 Like

Really impressive from Limerick considering the conditions. Serious handling & skill levels on show.

Very tough shooting into the wind though.

Game shouldn’t be going ahead but some contest in fairness.

Madness that this game went ahead. Puddles of water on the pitch, just hope nobody gets hurt.

Atrocious conditions, Limerick have done well playing into the strong breeze. Ferland looks a player.

2 Likes

1-04 to 0-04. Joke playing this

Limerick win 1-07 to 0-07.

Commend both teams out there tonight. Horrendous conditions. Good to win in such a low scoring game like that.