Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

My main concern facing into the league is Mike Caseys full back replacement with Richie McCarthy long term out.

We badly need to find one as we’ve very little strength and depth there now.

I think if something did happen it would be English at 3 And then somebody else in the corner.

2 Likes

I was talking about him a bit during the club championship, as he really stood out for Doon, but even still, I didn’t think he’d be on the panel already.

But it does make sense; if you see him as someone who can do a job, even in the future, get him involved now, he’ll only improve with the coaching at that level.

He was decent for the minors last year but not someone who really stood out.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have said it was raw pace that did the damage though, it was the constant movement of the likes of Kearney. They did it below in Cork too in the first half.

If the two half-forwards pull back into midfield and our half-backs are instructed to sit, it gives them numbers in midfield and it requires a monumental effort from our half-forward line to close the space. And they give it everything but they’re not superhuman. But it’s a gameplan that takes a lot out of the team trying to play it, and Cork faded badly. But it’s the most obvious way to get at us.

1 Like

It’s that little bit of hunger that probably goes from a winning a team first too and it’s often the difference. The will to keep making those vital runs back. I remember listening to colm Cooper talking about how Kerry players didn’t understand the will of Tyrone/Armagh players to win 1 All ireland in the early 00s.

It was kearney playing deep in the first half at croker and for the game in the pairc who did most consistent damage.

Lehane caused wreck in the croker second half from 11 when he ran off Hannon in all directions to take passes. That is the weakness. Galway hit on it by accident late in the game.

It is a basic football tactic to work off a holding 6

1 Like

I see Nickie lined out at 6 with Richie behind him tonight.

It’s going to be fascinating to watch next year.

Exactly. You’ve said it there in your last two posts. I said it during summer too, cork and Clare have shown the template to beat us, and it’s not based on speed in the full forward line.

A dog with a mallet up his hole can see that.

what’s the template?

In Corks case, they didn’t bate us. In Cork when we were down to 14 or in Dublin when apparently we played shite and still scored 1-27

Clare bate us when we were out on our feet in our 3rd week in a row above in Ennis. I think that is the only game we lost in regular time in 2018.

So Cork showed the template to beat us but didn’t beat us and the Clare win has an *

2 Likes

Cork ran out of steam - had no options on the bench that could maintain the game plan … We were destroyed for large chunks of the semi final - and the damage was done out around the middle and on the wings. They pulled our wing backs out and got in behind us a number of times, including Lehanes goal. Then when our half line stuck Cork came roaming for the ball. Kearney dictated the whole thing from deep.

3 Likes

Cork had a period of dominance which all good teams will do against you

We actually dominated the majority of the first half. We absolutely destroyed them both sides of the puck outs. Missed a number of handy goal chances, and had a few bad wides.

1 Like

:clap:

You have received a far better education on TFK than that which you received in Mary I

2 Likes

As @ciarancareyshurlingarmy said above, take advantage of the space afforded to them at half back and midfield and use it to bypass our half back line. When getting through to the inside line wasn’t on cork generally turned back and laid off to a player in space just outside our half back line for a handy point. Cork were one or two strong subs away from beating us that day. I said it early in the year, we struggle against teams like cork and Clare.

Hold up chaps. We were the better team against Cork overall in the first half. They took over in the last 10 minutes of the first half alright but we still managed to get 1-1 or 1-2 in that time frame.

Cork were the better side for the second half until the final 10 minutes when we completely took over. We destroyed them in extra time. The first night we had 14 players for most of the game and had lost Hannon.

They certainly cause us problems but in 2018 they weren’t fit enough, athletic enough, physical enough or ruthless enough to beat us. Twice.

4 Likes

Cork have a shit panel and a simpleton from Wexford over them, their players have been beaten by Limerick at underage for a decade now. The red jersey fear is going further and further into the past they are the Yankees to our red sox now.

4 Likes

Cork are pretty much always in the last 4 and not that far away at all.

serious weakness on show from some Limerick posters here. Talking about templates to beat us.

Cody would have you banished to a hurling wilderness for such talk.

2 Likes

We have made the last 4 in 13,14 and 18 it’s not too hard when only 8 teams can win it out!

1 Like