Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

No comparison but by god John Flanagan was a proper warrior in an era when they were needed .

You must have been some warped young fella. The county that had JBM, Denis Coughlan, Gerald McCarthy, Charlie McCarthy, Ray Cummins and their ilk and you picked a Limerick man as your favorite player?

1 Like

centre forwards weren’t expected to score in that era… just do as much physical wreck as possible around the place. Like Donie O’Connell with Tipp

They were all gone, Cummins came back but wasn’t the same, JBM was a Barrs man and overrated, Tom Cashman was my hero but Cregan was something else

1 Like

If they could score it was a bonus . John was a hard man and hadn’t a bad stroke in him . A ferocious competitor and a genuinely nice man .

Yeah he was. DId the simple stuff really well and a warrior. Cregan was a great for Limerick but he was a stubborn prick as well but I suppose great players need that stubbornness

I’ll fukin gut you.

JBM was a player that could finish a team off in the blink of an eye. Everyone raves about Fentons goal v Limerick but JBM did an overhead pull on a free by Fenton in the AI semi against Galway in the pouring rain that epitomized the man. Economy of effort that encapsulated the essence of the game into a fraction of a second of beauty

2 Likes

A fluke

You are e-dead to me you cunt.

Agree with you in the main but the goal was on a dry day and Fenton delivery wasn’t a free

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MZIATug2wF4

It was pissing rain in Limerick

1 Like

So they said in Angela’s Ashes .

JBM was box office

Box office definitely, great footballer I believe.
Never in the conversation for best hurler in Cork, not to mind Ireland, he had wonderful anticipation in fairness, often in the right place but a limited stick man

In my formative years Cork had a multitude of guys that would pop up and break your heart. jBM, Seanie Leary, Eamonn O’Donoghue, Pat Horgan, Charlie McCarthy.

John Fenton was a scourge .

1 Like

Took him a few years to establish himself in Cork. Probably because he wasn’t from the city.

1 Like

Just watching the last five minutes back again for the 17th time there.

A distraught Duignan desperately appealing for a free in for Kilkenny in the preceding passage of play after Peter Casey dragged us level is my favourite bit.

8 Likes

But he completely ignored TJ ripping DODs head off at one stage and they getting a point from it.

1 Like

The Dow is the man for that scamp O’Donoghue… Flanagan, Dowling, Mulcahy.