Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

NCW won two U21 hurling titles back in the mid eighties and were fairly decent. It was something of a kick in the arse to us in the East and South that they were winning the hurling when there were clubs over here winning the football. Definitely a book into how treating one sport too seriously fucks your head

People reference Dodge and Flanagan as rare once offs from the West, and they are to a certain extent. But Seamie Flanagan was very nearly missed. A sub on recent underage sides, his inclusion on the Senior Panel over the winter surprised many and dare I say it under previous management regimes his token inclusion would have come to an end before Leagues end. He was given a chance and there you go.

Dodge was missed for all intents and purposes. He was a sub on County 21s and was playing with Limerick Intermediates where his displays couldn’t go unnoticed.

In recent times we’ve missed Barry Lynch of Feohanagh, a far better defender and hurler than Tom Condon in my opinion. John Riordan of Templeglantine was called into the panel in 2015, 2 years too late, and was never given a chance despite apparently impressing in training. Stephen Cahill of Tournafulla was in last year and in my opinion should have been persevered with for another year, but in fairness he was given plenty of chances. Young O’Meara is the latest from back West and certainly has the physical attributes needed but again will need to be stuck with.

Basically the West is not awash with senior inter county standard players but I feel we still miss a few. It’s crazy to think the rest of the County and the County Board dismiss half the county without a second thought, everyone should be breaking their holes to help put it right back there. I mean Tour, Templeglantine, Killeedy, Feenagh Kilmeedy, Monagea, Knockaderry, Croagh Kilfinny, Feohanagh Castlemahon, Granagh/Ballingarry are areas where there is little or no football of note played really, these are all Hurling crazy areas that the county should be targeting with a plan big time

2 Likes

That’s a very fair point.

Dodge started one game of the three in-a-row u21 sides - and was taken off after twenty mins. Tore it up for the intermediates and for his club and they’d no choice but to call him in. The only good thing Pad Joe Whelehan did.

Flanagan was hardly seen with the u21’s last year. Got his chance against Cork in a bloody Munster League match in Mallow last December. Played well, management stuck with him, kept his place, built his confidence and hasn’t looked back since. Could have easily disappeared off the radar. Saw him for his club a couple of times in recent years and he looked like a lad frustrated and sick and tired of hurling. Kudos to Kiely for going with him when there wasn’t a clamour for his involvement.

1 Like

The west should stick two fingers up by having a joint championship with Kerry… Lixnaw and Ballyduff v the Mushes …

But, it’s up to clubs to force any change - there’s enough of you here spread out in different West teams to organize/make noise.

1 Like

That’s not entirely true, Flanagan was a big name at underage. He was class in 2014 for the minors and would have been one of the big names in 2015 especially after he starred for Feohanagh in that junior final against Na Piarsaigh, there was a lot of talk about him and he actually had a disappointing season.

Feohanagh have some lovely hurlers, which is why they are Premier Intermediate, I suppose. Lynch, Fitzgibbon, Butler, Sean Flanagan all played 21s for Limerick in the recent seasons, the latter two both have All-Ireland medals.

So does Mark O’Callaghan from Knockaderry, Liam O’Sullivan scored the last minute point to beat Cork in minor in maybe 2012.

Newcastlewest have the 3 Hurleys who were around intercounty panels underage, nice hurlers. Brendan O’Connor from Croagh is obviously now playing for Adare. G/B had Condron who won an All-Ireland in 2015 and Cagney in 2017. The Ahernes from Killeedy & Cian Magnier Flynn too.

Most of these aren’t good enough to play senior intercounty, a few probably would be decent panellists. But they are very good club players.

You’re 100% correct on Hegarty, not only is he a difficult man to catch when he breaks stride but he often takes the ball at full pelt and is gone from his man within three or four steps.
As regards his point taking, he’s one of those guys who’s more likely to score a screamer from distance than a handy tap over, still tends to miss some handy ones, seems better when he doesn’t have time to think.
Still improving though, he’s a great bit of stuff

John was decent but I am certain he played senior championship .

In fairness the benefit of the Munster U25 competition was that he got a good few games under his belt and was very impressive. It was used as a vehicle for the U21 lads that weren’t on the first 15 and Flanagan was the one that really stood out. Limerick only used U21’s on the panel. Jaysus there was a lively corner forward as well from Kileedy or Athlaca but my brain is fucked from trying to remember if John Danaher NCW played inter county with Limerick,.

his long stride gets him away - he’s like a train…starts slow (and looks slow) but picks up speed as he goes.

Paudie Ahern. Came on in a few games. Personally think his brother is better, plagued by injuries though.

If himself, Barry & Reidy were fit for the 21s in 2014, we’d have given Clare a right oul rattle.

1 Like

And Declan Hannon from Croagh

6 Likes

Where exactly is Kyle Hayes from??

Kildimo but learned his hurling in Askeaton

3 Likes

That’s why he has such a great bit of cut about him

2 Likes

Gway to fuck :rofl:

It was the Pallaskenry coaches who made him. :joy:

It’s not as if the clubs are doing fuck all back there, most of them are breaking their holes in fairness. I’d know through relations, friends and being involved myself with different clubs and playing against different clubs that they’re doing their best. There are a few clubs who I won’t name that should be fucking ashamed of themselves alright with the pick and geographical spread they have. But Tour, Templeglantine, Killeedy, Monagea, Feenagh/Kilmeedy… these are tiny tiny rural places with small populations, there is fuck all business or work opportunities in those areas for people to move into or for locals to remain living there, they’re genuinely doing what they can or perhaps what they believe is their best. Maybe a bit of guidance from County Development Coaches and a targeted plan could improve those areas but it really is a numbers game. For the size of the places some of them have lovely Junior A teams.

SMI in Newcastle West should also be targeted as a Harty Cup School, perfectly set up for it.

3 Likes

It’s a disgrace how it isnt at this stage, although there was one particular teacher who hindered this for years!!

There is a similar story everywhere especially in Primary schools. There is a plethora of decent club/intercounty players going to Mary I. Local clubs should be busting their bollix off to get these kids back teaching in their own areas to promote hurling, Clubs need to infiltrate the BOM of these schools and get it done.

The school of hard knocks - the new West Limerick hurling academy.

I’m delighted to hear this given my longstanding agenda against the west.

4 Likes