Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Maybe back in the west but not in hurling country.

1 Like

I’d agree on Kirby, although always overshadowed by Shaughs.

I am not sure who would have been hyping up Maguire Flynn. I have no doubt Cathal O’Neill will play senior hurling for Limerick for a good period of time barring injuries.

Mike Wallace from Glenroe was another

Twas only them fuckin apes in Killeedy that were hyping up Magner Flynn, nobody else ffs! He was very lucky to be on that minor team.

1 Like

To be fair it was more before that minor team. When he was 14,15. Did he even make minor in his good year?

Think he scored the goal in the All-Ireland Final tbf.

He’s got a decent paw and an eye for goal but I don’t think he was ever going to be a top star.

He likes a drink to be fair to him :sweat_smile:

He’s a big lad.

He’s some unit now

Can’t recall dowling ever playing center back, hannon played there a lot. There was a lot of hype about downes from when he scored 5 goals on Murray in a club game when he was 16

He played there in an all Ireland college final , 2010 ? . Ended up marking John power .

Informative rating. I remember up until about minor, especially at u16, every free dowling got even near the 21 was a goal. No one could stop his shots at that age.

More hurling success as Limerick Teachers win All-Ireland Senior Inter-Firm final:
By Jerome O’Connell Limerick Leader Sport

THE Limerick Teachers were crowned All-Ireland senior hurling Inter-Firm champions this Thursday night.

A star studded side were 4-18 to 1-15 winners of Offaly based Grant Engineering.

The final was played under floodlights in Offaly GAA Headquarters - Faithful Fields.

It was a second All-Ireland title in six months for Nickie Quaid - Limerick’s All-Ireland SHC title winning goalkeeper was centre back on this Limerick Teachers team.

The Effin man was joined in the 22-man winning panel by his two brothers Tommy and Jack.

The side was captained by former Limerick dual player; Stephen Walsh, who also had his brother Eoin in the side.

The Limerick side were backed by the breeze in the opening half and were 2-12 to 1-5 ahead by the interval.

Managed by Scoil Pol’s Mike O’Hara and assisted by fellow Kilfinane teacher Sean O’Donnell, Limerick Teachers were led in the scoring charts by Adare’s Willie Griffin, who had goals in either half.

Cathall King and Cormac O’Donovan were also among the first half scores and Limerick Teachers built up a 10-point advantage by the break.

They were only 2-5 to 1-3 ahead by the mid-point of the first half but Jack Quaid and Patrick Kelly were on the scoresheet as the lead was stretched out by half time.

The lead was down to six points early in the second half but a Willie Griffin goal had the scoresheet at 3-14 to 1-10.

The same player was to rubber stamp the All-Ireland title with a goal from a last minute penalty for a 12-point final win.

Last month, Limerick Teachers won the Munster title with a final win over Suir Engineering - read report here

LIMERICK TEACHERS: David McCarthy (Glenroe); Mark Carmody (Patrickswell), Shane O’Neill (South Liberties), Michael Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca); Stephen Walsh (Glenroe), Nickie Quaid (Effin), Patrick Kelly (Clarecastle, Clare); Cathall King (Na Piarsaigh), Conor Sheahan (Ballygunner, Waterford); Jack Quaid (Effin), Cormac O’Donovan (Clonlara, Clare), John Fitzgibbon (Adare); Willie Griffin (Adare), Mark O’Connell (Glenroe), Eoin Walsh (Glenroe). Subs: PJ Hall (Adare), Gearoid Power (Garryspillane), Brian Finn (Bruff), Micheal Ryan (Doon), Seanie Tobin (Murroe-Boher), Pat Gleeson (Na Piarsaigh), Tommy Quaid (Effin).

Ah here. Seanie tobin on the bench.

1 Like

Correct. Ard scoil ris regularly swapped dowling and hannon particularly when they were losing. Johm fitz missed a few handy frees that day too which makes having the dow in the backs even stranger.

At least the teachers know where to play Nickie.

Aye. Theyve learned a lot

They must be on here day and night picking up tips

1 Like

Your man Finn, is he related Sean? I know his head, he went to Mary I.