Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Hopefully no games fall foul of the weather this weekend.

An attractive double header in Ballyagran tomorrow. Tour v Kilmallock in the junior quarter final at 3.15 followed by the big one of the weekend, G/B v Effin in intermediate at 5pm.

1 Like

From Jerome in The Leader.

€87k from those two pre final dinners is a nice wedge.

LIMERICK GAA officials are confident that they are well positioned to defray the extra costs of the 2018 All Ireland winning run.

Treasurer Liam Bourke has reported that their varying fund-raisers will help defray the cost of the preparing John Kiely’s team for the All Ireland final and the December 27 to January 7 team holiday.

Last December, out-going Limerick GAA treasurer Donal Morrissey’s end of year accounts showed Limerick GAA had an overall deficit of over €100,000. The cost of preparing Limerick GAA teams for 2017 rose by over €250,000 (almost 30%) he revealed.

But new treasurer Liam Bourke told the September County Board meeting that fund-raisers have been well supported and thanked for their help.

There are more fund-raisers in the coming weeks – a Friday, September 21 Benefit Night in Limerick Greyhound Stadium, A Saturday, September 29 concert in the Gaelic Grounds, a November 8 Corporate Dinner in Adare Manor and events in New York and Boston between November 14-20, when John Kiely’s team play in the Super 11s in Fenway Park.

An event in Chicago is also being explored.

All that is on top of royalties that Limerick GAA receive from official merchandise such as jerseys, leisure wear and car number plates (which specifically have raised over €12,000 already). Coming into the market soon are the Sportsfile picture based book ‘Treaty Triumph’, framed team photograph (taken last Saturday in the Adare Manor), DVD and calendar.

"There will be a holiday for the team. Three or four of us met John Kiely in relation to that and it’s going to happen at the end of December. We will receive a cheque from Croke Park to the sum of €80,000 to cover a portion of that cost. The rest of the cost we are anticipating we will make up from royalties from the jerseys, the number plates, etc,” Limerick GAA Treasurer Liam Bourke told the September County Board meeting.

“We received a cheque of €108,000 from Croke Park for our involvement in the quarter final, semi final and final. We have €20,000 coming from the Munster Council in respect of that. We were seven weeks longer in the championship this year to win the All Ireland and obviously we would have a bigger burden of cost but I am fairly satisfied that the €128,000 plus the funds from the functions would more than offset any additional cost,” the treasurer outlined.

“We had two pre-match functions the weeks before the All Ireland final, one in the Woodlands and one in the Castletroy Park Hotel. The profit from the two events was €87,273.60 to be exact. We had the banquet on the Sunday night after the match and I will return to that at the October meeting but there will be a cost to the board of running that, but it can be easily defrayed,” said Bourke.

Limerick GAA secretary Mike O’Riordan appealed to supporters to only purchase official GAA products.

“There are a number of spurious photographs circulating around the county but I would appeal to people that the official one, includes all players, management and backroom people and will be on sale through our official retailers,” said O’Riordan.

The secretary added: “There is a royalty from anything that is an official product”.

“Given the size of our travelling party (for team holiday) it will be expensive so we ask for support in anyway possible,” said O’Riordan.

Hangers-on gonna get paid.

I heard a figure of well in excess of 1/4 mill for the junket.

36 players x 2
Plus all the backroom staff x 2
Plus all the county board fucks x 2

Wouldn’t be long adding up.

We can afford it.

They’ll all get a daily allowance too while they are out there. Will cost serious grade.

At least they are making an effort to fundraise to be fair.

That was a wish of his brother Gerry and McKenna who categorically said that none of his money would ever be spent on football. Which makes the ladies victory all the more sweet. Done in spite of the cunts.

Any player who is unattached needs their head examined if they bring a partner on a team holiday .

At 50c/number plate that means 24000 or so of them were sold? Impressive. However its a paltry sum from sales of €120,000.

If there is a picture of the team only, even with the Lords manor in the background, I’d buy it. But there isn’t a hope in hell that Riordan or any other cunt like that will grace Batts sitting room wall.

My point stands ; actually any player needs their head examined to bring a partner on a team holiday :sweat_smile:.

I have to hand it to you @Bartholemew_the_Ladd. You have your principles and you stick to them regardless,unlike the other forelock tuggers, the rest of them would soil themselves with excitement and hysteria if Lord McManus nodded in their direction and are happy with the sop he throws to his subjects.
If we were going into a battle tomorrow I like to be along side you.

1 Like

I hope the holiday costs a fortune and the players and management have a wonderful trip.

It’s the least they deserve.

3 Likes

Jealousy it is then? He has done far better things with his money than the government would ever have done with his taxes ffs. He has more than paid his way.

You say it was a matter of time before we won an All Ireland with that panel and say it was done in spite of the McManus bros. The bulk of that panel, the successful underage crop, are the absolute epitomy of what their funding has done, they were the first group through the McManus funded academy. That’s a fact. They were developed through the best ran underage structure in the country. Clubs, schools etc of course played a hugely important role but there is no doubt about the fact we’d have won no All Ireland without that group of players. What’s more is the players themselves know it too and that’s why they’ve so much time for him and Noreen.

Jp is a good man. Your hatred for him is pure begrudgery.

4 Likes

Another thing about the McManus family… they’re no fuckin eejits with their money. They do not hand out sponsorship willy nilly. I know of several clubs who have received money from them when doing a project and others who were refused. They will not give out funding unless an organisation has shown they are working hard and raising funds themselves. JP will back people and organisations that are willing to dig in themselves. Hence the boxing fundraiser by the players last winter and the reason why he will not write an open cheque every year to cover all costs, which he easily could (hence the 100k debt from last year). He didn’t pay for the Banquet in City West as was speculated. The underage academy is ran on a well maintained tight budget but it is not flush with money.

1 Like

Well said👏

Kyler is bringing @anon32894817

2 Likes

I used to have to have to depend on work from a local big house when I was a young lad and the attitude they had towards their staff and local was vile. I swore that I would work very hard and never have to depend on any of their charity to survive. You couldn’t open your mouth in their company or say the wrong thing and you would be sacked on the spot. Needless to say they were part of the horsey set and they still operate locally although their ability to control peoples lives is still there but much less than it was. I can’t stand either the occupiers or their souptakers. Personally I’d eat grass rather than be beholden to the cunts for anything.

Welcome to the front line pal.

3 Likes