Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

For me If limerick are to win 2 or 3 more all Ireland’s in the next 5 years or so we have to evolve. I think Casey is extrmely hardly working and his ability to rob ball off defenders is unreal. I really think he’d add something out there.

Think he played there in the all Ireland colleges final a few years back and was not a success there that day . Worth a try over time but I don’t see it , he is a really brilliant inside forward .

He has to start next year.

That’s a given, I think he’d make a brilliant playmaking and scoring centre forward, there’s plenty of bulk around him,
Kyle Hayes has to be centre back long term, nice options/problems to have

With how we play its either himself or Mulcahy really, I don’t think our style can accommodate the 2 of them from the start. It’s a matter of balance. Our physicality early on is an important part of the way we play. If you look back on a lot of the games, we established physical dominance early on in most of them. Something not talked about much

Never thought I’d be saying this 12 months ago but, right now, Mulcahy is undroppable. HOTY for me.

Declan Hannon is only 27 and has just had the best season he’s ever had in green, he was superb at 6. The classiest 6 in the country. Has answered all questions regarding his ability to man the centre too. He’ll be there for a few more years yet before he ends up further up the field as he gets older

3 Likes

Serious options up front but potentially a bit light in the backs.

He kept Peter Casey off the Limerick team this year, and all in Limerick would agree Casey is our best and most natural forward for years, decades even. Just shows how good Mulcahy has been this year. I’m delighted for him, a class act.

2 Likes

It’s a twenty man game now. It’s great to have interchangeable options.

1 Like

We had an important advantage this year lads. Right up to the final whistle of the AIF we were still operating "under the radar"and there was always an underlying attitude of "its only Limerick " regardless of how much people deny it.
We won’t have that cushion next year

5 Likes

Will ye’re chap Dan Joy get looked at? I’m told Condon isn’t going to Boston, apparently injured, but I’d say he’s calling it a day. Say what you like about him but we don’t have ready made replacements

1 Like

I would say we could do with Casey involved though. He’s a really classy operator. Has an incredible eye for a pass. But fitting him in is the problem. Mulcahy is a similar player and he’s coming off of an outstanding season, whereas Flanagan is probably our key player in terms of getting our game plan going and taking full backs all over the pitch. That leaves Gillane, and he’s our main scorer.

That’s the worry. Worth a look I suppose but he won’t be a starter IMHO.

Whoever isn’t performing loses out. Simple as that. That’s what happened this year, Casey was unlucky to be injured and with the club before that and the others performed consistently well so he couldn’t get back in.

Great problem to have though.

Thats a nice treat for the players

3 Likes

Abhoy the kid

Regarding full back line players to replace the injured Richie Mac and the expected/suspected retirement of Condon, possibly even Hickey;

I’m not sure Jerome Boylan is a natural full back line player at all, looks to me to be a half back.

Jamie Porter Monaleen? I rated him well enough when he hurled underage with the county. Has been excellent for Monaleen as a corner back apparently.

Dan Joy Kilmallock. The obvious choice, was very good u21 and has done well for his club too. Worth a look.

O’Grady of Knockainey. Has he the interest? Didn’t hurl u21 with the county this year.

You’re going back to likes of Seanie O’Brien after that. I thought the time they had Stephen Cahill of Tour in that they could do something with him but they dropped him after one year.

Hannon is still only 25 I think at most 26?