Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

Is Byrnes asthmatic?

Condon was the aggressor but you can see that Reidy did lead with the bas also … but was he just protecting him self?

Condon’s was an absolutely filthy strike really, no two arguments about it, but they were both going for the strike imo. The only reason Reidy didn’t connect properly was because he was air-borne on Condon’s hurley.

Commentator’s eye. And please say you weren’t warned. Little chaps like Podge Collins and David Reidy totally flooring Tom Condon and Diarmaid Byrnes. I can’t see Limerick recovering from this for years.

3 Likes

If you can recover from failing the driving test a few times then its fair to say that anything is possible.

3 Likes

@Julio_Geordio is winding up here to unleash hell.

Awful comeback. I’ll say nothing if you want to edit it and have another go.

He had the right idea but it was poorly executed.

Post reported.

It smacked of a panicked “I’m going to slag you off about the first thing that comes to mind” response. Brutal stuff.

1 Like

As soon as Condon came on you knew he’d give away a heap of frees or generally do something wreckless. Totally idiotic what he did.

The annoying thing is he was playing relatively well.

1 Like

Should be ready by tomorrow. @Copper_pipe is still cutting the letters out of the magazine

3 Likes

I’d imagine that’s him done uless there is a hape of injuries… Not many of the 2005 minors left.

Did he come on in the 2009 replay against Waterford and was a lucky boy to stay on the field after laying into Mullane? Would have been one of his first games for Limerick I reckon. He’s never changed.

1 Like

Yes it was his debut? Came on for Razor O’Riordan I think.

It general Kiely needs to stamp out the ill discipline. Limerick rarely get red cards so getting 2 in 4 games is a worry.

I would feel for Seamus Hickey. Went from being first choice to now being behind Casey, Condon and McCarthy in the pecking order and all in the space of a few weeks

1 Like

I said we would see plenty of red cards in the new system and lads were saying it wouldn’t be a factor.

I’d say Hickey is gone from the full back line and is now seen as an option in the half back line.

I’d have liked to have seen him start in midfield against Clare. Malone is a fucking unit and had way too much for O’Donovan and Lynch. Either Hickey or O’Donoghue would have been fresh. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the whole point in having a panel is that you use them.

Yesterday was just a terrible day from start to finish. Ennis isn’t fit to hold a Munster Championship match. 6 tough loos at the back of the north terrace. You’d want to be fair stuck to drop the kids off at one of those.

1 Like

The Carlow or West Meath game is a week before facing KK/Galway — I know Kiely likes to have lads ticking over but surely has to try out panel members in that game. Downes, O’Connell, O’Loughlin - Start Dempsey, WOD, Murphy, Hickey etc. They’ve a month now to prepare for a serious tilt at runner up in Leinster.

Pure scutter yesterday, we were bate all over the field by a Clare team who weren’t firing on all cylinders either. It was a shite game of hurling, wides galore for both sides, constant “rucks” and a very stop start game thanks to the ref.

Clare just out muscled us. The Clare backs tore into the Limerick forwards right from the start, pulled and dragged them all day and they just couldn’t get away from them. It was a masterclass in defending.
They were not helped by the ball in which was straight from last years play book, fucking sky ball to no one. Infuriating. Not sure what happened us that we reverted to that shite having played smart ball all year.

Quaid did ok, one smart save at the end. Didn’t seem to hit as many long puckouts as usual. Obviously we had the extra man at the back for a lot of it so he was using him, but our delivery from those short puckouts was septic. Richie did fine when he came on I thought but he launched a few fucking retarded balls down the field, English was poor using the ball as well I thought. That’s the end of Tom Condon you’d imagine, TBH I thought he was finished two years ago, seemed a mental call to bring him in. I’m no fan of Hickey in the full back line but he must be wondering what’s going on that he’s now behind McCarthy and Condon!! Thought Casey was under serious pressure for a lot of it particularly in the second half. Finn was a big loss, probably our best man marker at the minute. A tough day at the office for our fullback line but they were severely hampered thanks to Clare having loads of time to pick their passes and us misfiring out the field.
Byrnes was very quiet throughout, Hannon got on a lot of ball tbf to him and used it well enough. Morrissey did well winning the ball but twice soloed into dead ends as he seemed reluctant to take a shot on himself.
Lynch was quiet by his standards, worked hard and got on a few balls but himself and O’Donovan were second best all day I felt. Thought O’Donovan was poor enough.
Half forward line was where we lost the battle IMO, Hegarty and Hayes were very poor by their standards. Nothing came off for them. Dempsey is not the answer in that scenario. Better in a game where he can pick off scores from the outside, not suited to a battle in a tight space. We made ourselves very narrow and easy to defend in the middle, made it very easy for Clare to bottle us up. Loads of space unused on the flanks. Nash should have been brought in here earlier, better man for the rough stuff. Tom Morrissey was the one bright point, looked sharp and took scores well.
FF line were as mentioned seriously hampered by the shocking deliveries into them. They hit high ball to Mulcahy and cross field ball to Dowling the opposite of what was needed. Even on the good deliveries I think Clare just had us figured out, the Clare lads knew that it was diagonal ball coming into the corner and they were ready for it. It worked well all along tbf but we’ll need to introduce some variety to our attack. The decision to bring on a defender for a forward killed any chance we may have had of getting on top of Clare here. Gillane did well off limited supply when he came on I thought.

I thought the decision to concede the short puckouts to Clare didn’t work. In the first half they were able to launch it straight to their FF line from them, bypassing our three strongest lines completely. Even worse we played an awful lot of short puckouts and denied our half forwards the opportunity to compete in the air which has been a strength all year. Instead of HF/MF getting the puckouts and picking out the FF line as we had been doing all along, we had the corner back soloing to the 45 then lumping it forward to a 2 v 3 inside line from way out the field.
Kiely’s first major misstep this year. Subs were bizarre, tactics wrong and team flat. 3 weeks in a row is not an excuse. These lads are supposedly elite athletes, with the best of coaching and minding. Club players often play three in a week with no complaints.

All in all it was very disappointing. We are still in it though, onwards and upwards hopefully.

Congrats to the Clare lads, they were deserved winners and look a very decent side. Seem to have added a bit of steel to their play, hopefully we meet again this year.

P.S. Cusack park is a fucking kip.

6 Likes