Live GAA on de Telly 2023 (No Discussion)

Always going to happen with the majority of Championship action front-loaded into April and May now.

Mid-April afternoon’s in Wexford Park (apologies @Bandage) arent very sellable to a UK audience when the EPL is still in full swing.

You’d wonder if Virgin could make a right go of it now.

Another victory for the split season

4 Likes

McElwain to replace Des ?

Its actually a defeat for the split season, but the zealots won’t understand.

Sky want something to show in June/July/August. Sky aren’t interested in showing games in April/May, they’ve plenty EPL/EFL to show then.Virgin and RTE will now be able to pick up whatever rights are on offer by paying pennies. Financially, I’d imagine this is bad news for the GAA which is what really counts in Croke Park.

The AI will be back in late August or September within 3 years I’d say.

2 Likes

SKY wanted out it seems. Inevitable given what Croke Park did to Dublin

How long more before SuperValu/Etihad/Littlewoods etc start to reconsider?

Back to free to air, outstanding news

You are worried Etihad mightnt renew their sponsorship of the Gaa? Why would that matter in the general scheme of things?

Larry has commited to a split season next year with a review afterwards but the players like it. There will have to be some kind of compromise. Id say third week of August

Because if there is less money coming in, that will definitely have an impact on how the GAA does their business.

Like people this year turned a massive blind eye when Dublin v Kerry couldn’t sell out on the nicest day of the year and they had to rent a crowd off Ticketmaster for the Hurling final yet couldn’t break 80k - AI Quarter finals played on the graveyard slot at lunchtime on a Saturday afternoon to facilitate a Currie Cup Rugby Match from South Africa.

The warning lights were flashing all year.

7 Likes

I find myself nodding in furious agreement with that post

1 Like

Michael Duignan’s dad will be ecstatic

5 Likes

Unfortunately he passed on to his eternal reward during the Covid Lockdown in 2020.

1 Like

You mug, the warning lights have been flashing for 20 years. You chaps don’t remember what it used to be like, that’s your problem.

1 Like

We’ll bring the razzmatazz

1 Like

Chanley like the second coming of Bubbles Dwyer, flashing points over from everywhere with a real swagger

1 Like

Do their business? Please expand.

How they format their championships.

If All Ireland Finals in July cant sell out and you get paltry attendances at round robin games in April/May then things will change very quickly.

That Football championship looks total nonsense. 48 games is it to eliminate 4 teams.

BBC set to step in as Sky and GAA part ways over new TV rights deal