LOI Fans Crisis?

LAST FRIDAY evening was a pleasing night if you were the manager of Bohemians FC – but it was an utterly depressing occasion if you happened to be the club’s treasurer.

On the field, Bohs did the business, beating Bray Wanderers 2-0, keeping a clean sheet for the fourth game in a row and keeping a three-point lead at the top of the table.

But off the field it was a disastrous night, as the game was watched by a pitifully small crowd, and even worse for the home club was that there were less than 400 paying adults at the game – the rest of the estimated 1,600 crowd were season ticket holders, club members, schoolkids or freebies.

Dundalk should bring a decent away support to Dalymount Park tonight, their first league game at the venue in seven years, but even so, Bohs boss Pat Fenlon admits that the small crowds, at Bohs and across the league this season, is hard to take.

“It’s very frustrating because you train hard and work hard to do everything properly, but it’s difficult because of the crowds,” says Fenlon ahead of Dundalk’s trip to Dalymount.

"You prepare in pre-season and you prepare in the week before the game to have everything as professional as possible, and the club have put a structure in place for us to do that, but then it drops off on a Friday night because of the attendance.

"We are getting used to it now and that is not a good thing. Crowds were bigger when I was playing, there is no doubt about that.

"I think the Dublin derbies have suffered. Going back over the years when Shels and Pats, and then Bohs and Shels, were vying for the league they were always big games. I remember coming to Dalymount as a player with Shels and there was a real buzz about it, the crowds were certainly bigger then.

“Bohs-Rovers games were always big matches over the years when I played for both clubs, but the gates for Bohs-Rovers last season, home and away, were shocking,” added Fenlon, who feels that the lack of modern facilities needs to be addressed.

“Facilities is a massive problem, even at Dalymount. You want people to come along and have a night out, not just see a football game, and we don’t have that at this club or in the industry overall. You can’t really come and enjoy the occasion because the facilities are so poor,” he says.

"I played in the league over a long period of time and I know that the standard of play, and players, is better now than ever. The games are better, there is more football played. So you can’t blame the standard of play, the teams are fitter and better organised.

"But the facilities are a major factor, we can’t compete with the GAA and the rugby, they developed the stadiums as well as the players. Horse racing, greyhound racing, they all have better facilities and they sell it as a package, a night out, but in the league all we have to offer is 90 minutes, we can’t get people along for a night out. The players are better than ever, but the facilities are poor.

“We have to get people into the ground and keep them there. People should come to a place like Dalymount at 7pm and have a nice evening here, but we can’t keep them in the bars,” Fenlon added.

Yet there should be some added bite to this game at Dalymount Park tonight, as the Dundalk squad, managed by ex-Bohs boss Sean Connor, has six former Bohs players, all of whom left Dalymount Park during Fenlon’s reign.

“There is an edge to the game and you’ll always have that when you have former players and a former manager coming back to a club,” said Fenlon.

Bohs have been impressive since losing to Cork City at the start of April, with just two points dropped from the last four games, but tonight is a test for the home side due to injuries.

• Aidan Fitzmaurice

who gives a fuck about the league of ireland?

A lot of us care about it, show some fucking respect you arse bandit.

[quote=“myboyblue”]LAST FRIDAY evening was a pleasing night if you were the manager of Bohemians FC – but it was an utterly depressing occasion if you happened to be the club’s treasurer.

On the field, Bohs did the business, beating Bray Wanderers 2-0, keeping a clean sheet for the fourth game in a row and keeping a three-point lead at the top of the table.

But off the field it was a disastrous night, as the game was watched by a pitifully small crowd, and even worse for the home club was that there were less than 400 paying adults at the game – the rest of the estimated 1,600 crowd were season ticket holders, club members, schoolkids or freebies.

Dundalk should bring a decent away support to Dalymount Park tonight, their first league game at the venue in seven years, but even so, Bohs boss Pat Fenlon admits that the small crowds, at Bohs and across the league this season, is hard to take.

“It’s very frustrating because you train hard and work hard to do everything properly, but it’s difficult because of the crowds,” says Fenlon ahead of Dundalk’s trip to Dalymount.

"You prepare in pre-season and you prepare in the week before the game to have everything as professional as possible, and the club have put a structure in place for us to do that, but then it drops off on a Friday night because of the attendance.

"We are getting used to it now and that is not a good thing. Crowds were bigger when I was playing, there is no doubt about that.

"I think the Dublin derbies have suffered. Going back over the years when Shels and Pats, and then Bohs and Shels, were vying for the league they were always big games. I remember coming to Dalymount as a player with Shels and there was a real buzz about it, the crowds were certainly bigger then.

“Bohs-Rovers games were always big matches over the years when I played for both clubs, but the gates for Bohs-Rovers last season, home and away, were shocking,” added Fenlon, who feels that the lack of modern facilities needs to be addressed.

“Facilities is a massive problem, even at Dalymount. You want people to come along and have a night out, not just see a football game, and we don’t have that at this club or in the industry overall. You can’t really come and enjoy the occasion because the facilities are so poor,” he says.

"I played in the league over a long period of time and I know that the standard of play, and players, is better now than ever. The games are better, there is more football played. So you can’t blame the standard of play, the teams are fitter and better organised.

"But the facilities are a major factor, we can’t compete with the GAA and the rugby, they developed the stadiums as well as the players. Horse racing, greyhound racing, they all have better facilities and they sell it as a package, a night out, but in the league all we have to offer is 90 minutes, we can’t get people along for a night out. The players are better than ever, but the facilities are poor.

“We have to get people into the ground and keep them there. People should come to a place like Dalymount at 7pm and have a nice evening here, but we can’t keep them in the bars,” Fenlon added.

Yet there should be some added bite to this game at Dalymount Park tonight, as the Dundalk squad, managed by ex-Bohs boss Sean Connor, has six former Bohs players, all of whom left Dalymount Park during Fenlon’s reign.

“There is an edge to the game and you’ll always have that when you have former players and a former manager coming back to a club,” said Fenlon.

Bohs have been impressive since losing to Cork City at the start of April, with just two points dropped from the last four games, but tonight is a test for the home side due to injuries.

• Aidan Fitzmaurice[/quote]

thinly veiled " FC biggles about to go bust":slight_smile:

So the GGA and Rogbee fooks are thieves then.:stuck_out_tongue:

why do you care about it? It is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

You’re on some wind up mission today HBV.

:smiley:

:smiley:

HIV badly exposed again

jog on

In black and white, he’s right. However, Dalymount is one of the few places in the league where you can make a night of it, and I remember him making that point around the start of the season. There are 3 bars, TV screens in all, a jukebox in one and a DJ after the game in another. The toilets are a bit of a disgrace though.

We probably need to scrap the 20 entrance fee altogether, and make it 15 for all games, but I don’t think it’s going to happen any time soon. At the moment we have Cat 1 and Cat 2 games, and for some reason Dundalk is a Cat 1 so it’s 20 quid in tonight even though Dundalk are a fairly moderate team and probably won’t finish in the top 4.

Overall, it’s a pity. There is often plenty of decent football on show, and maybe a couple of future internationals. The standard of play out on the pitch can be better than some of the turgid stuff I watched between Newcastle and Portsmouth the other night. But for the Irish “sporting public”, it’s not really about the sport, it’s about the overall package and unfortunately it isn’t there.

Were the crowds for bohs games last year bigger sledge ?
Thats a shite attendence for the stand out best team in the league in fairness and something would need to be done.
When you look at the fact that st pats brought 150-200 to the recent game in dalymount you have to wonder of the future of the league.
From a Rovers perspective everyting is rosy at the moment and there is a definite feeling of goodwill in the club. hopefully that will last.
Irish people are just, bye and large , a bunch of lazy good for nothing bandwagon jumping cunts i guess.
just witness the farcical treatment of the made up rugby teams and their fair weather fans. if only both teams could get hammered that would be the best result in my book !!

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]In black and white, he’s right. However, Dalymount is one of the few places in the league where you can make a night of it, and I remember him making that point around the start of the season. There are 3 bars, TV screens in all, a jukebox in one and a DJ after the game in another. The toilets are a bit of a disgrace though.

We probably need to scrap the 20 entrance fee altogether, and make it 15 for all games, but I don’t think it’s going to happen any time soon. At the moment we have Cat 1 and Cat 2 games, and for some reason Dundalk is a Cat 1 so it’s 20 quid in tonight even though Dundalk are a fairly moderate team and probably won’t finish in the top 4.

Overall, it’s a pity. There is often plenty of decent football on show, and maybe a couple of future internationals. The standard of play out on the pitch can be better than some of the turgid stuff I watched between Newcastle and Portsmouth the other night. But for the Irish “sporting public”, it’s not really about the sport, it’s about the overall package and unfortunately it isn’t there.[/quote]

20 quid is saucy enough. I must say I dont think any of the LOI clubs in Dublin do a whole pile to attract the casual punter. I used to go to Turners Cross pretty regulalry when I lived in Cork, not becuase I had any real interest in football, but it was something to do and have a few scoops.

I couldnt even tell you who the closest team in Dublin is to me (Miltown?). The only live football game I have been at, bar a few internationals, in the last two years was Ireland v Italy ladies International in Belfield, cant remember why but must have seen an ad for it somehwhere

[quote=“dancarter”]20 quid is saucy enough. I must say I dont think any of the LOI clubs in Dublin do a whole pile to attract the casual punter. I used to go to Turners Cross pretty regulalry when I lived in Cork, not becuase I had any real interest in football, but it was something to do and have a few scoops.

I couldnt even tell you who the closest team in Dublin is to me (Miltown?). The only live football game I have been at, bar a few internationals, in the last two years was Ireland v Italy ladies International in Belfield, cant remember why but must have seen an ad for it somehwhere[/quote]

good point - Rovers should be doing a lot more to attract the Cork Yachting crowd:rolleyes:

Whats this I heard that Finn Harps and Shelborne’s match this evening was called off because there was too many stones and rocks on the pitch…For the top tier of Irish football that is a disgrace…

[quote=“myboyblue”]LAST FRIDAY evening was a pleasing night if you were the manager of Bohemians FC – but it was an utterly depressing occasion if you happened to be the club’s treasurer.

• Aidan Fitzmaurice[/quote]

1600 at a derby soccer match!! Oxford Utd play in the Blue Square Premier and have an average attendance of nearly 5,000.

I really cant see professional soccer in Ireland surviving too much longer. Its a miracle really how its survived this long. It must be soul destroying for clubs who improve their facilities, pitch and try and play better football. I guess the clubs could try and link more into the local leagues and the local communities but when the league champions can only attract a crowd of 1600 it doesnt give much hope for the future.

Totally disagree with Fenlon actually about the package. Sure improve the facilities but you cant watch soccer like greyhound racing e.g. having a meal and casting on occasional glance at the action. To promote it as such would be disastrous imo. League soccer in Ireland has struggled to cast off the image of being a haven for scumbags imo and as a result has failed to attract the corporate climbers with decent disposable incomes that are attracted to rugby like flies around shit. A decent PR campaign by the FAI might rescue it.

Surely the only chance is to do as KIB man says and link clubs with local communities and leagues more.
If the players, by and large, came from the areas the clubs were situated or at least had played underage for the clubs, I reckon far more people would be interested in it.
As it is now with the top players just moving round the clubs there is no sense of identity or loyalty for people to attach themselves to.

Following the GAA model seems to be working for the rugby anyway with most of the Munster and Leinster teams actually being from the provinces.
I actually think the standard isn’t bad at any of the games I’ve been to.

[quote=“gola”]Surely the only chance is to do as KIB man says and link clubs with local communities and leagues more.
If the players, by and large, came from the areas the clubs were situated or at least had played underage for the clubs, I reckon far more people would be interested in it.
As it is now with the top players just moving round the clubs there is no sense of identity or loyalty for people to attach themselves to.

[/quote]

The likes of the runt might know more but most of the decent soccer players in Limerick city would rather play for the likes of Fairview, Pike, Ballynanty and Corbally etc in the district Premier rather than Limerick FC in the first division of the league of ireland

Surely they could do things like enter a League of Ireland u-23 side in the Olympics to create a bit more hype etc. Ruggerby has grown thanks to proper marketing, if soccer has a decent end product thats all they have to tap into. The soccer community in Ireland is fairly divisive though and that attitude needs to take the high road pretty quick if they have any chance of surviving the next 3 years.

How is Bohs v Bray a derby?