London Calling

Ethnic restaurants and corners shops love cash

Are Wembley markets still going on a Sunday morning

Sure the shops wonā€™t even take northern Irish sterling in the shops in England

We wave these at the telly when that bad man Kyle Hayes gets the ball

1 Like

Good on her. Sheā€™ll be locked up if sheā€™s not careful.

1 Like

A vesper Martini in dukes hotel is one of the great London things to do. Two drink limit.
First time I went there I couldnā€™t find it because I thought the pointer on Google maps was the other way round. After a few laps of the area I stopped a dapper gentleman and asked for directions.
ā€œIā€™m going that way myself, Iā€™ll show you to the doorā€
He enquired as to whether I was staying there before telling me how much he loved Ireland in the most gentle, quietly spoken but cut glass English accent youā€™d ever hear.
I informed him that I was meeting my brother for a vesper Martini
ā€œWell thatā€™s a splendid thing. Youā€™ll be drinking my ginā€
ā€œHow do you mean?ā€
ā€œOh Iā€™m berry brothers and ruddā€
He walked me to the door, said he wished he could join us, and bade me a very pleasant afternoon.
A lovely experience from start to finish.
Spent about 3 hours over two vesper Martinis, having a great catch up and watching the great and good.

17 Likes

Whatā€™s a two drink limit exactly?
I saw posters outside bars in NY.

Heading over in March so will definitely do thatšŸ‘

I was in Ronnie Drewā€™s a few years ago when a fellow Free Stater tried to pay with the old Ulster Bank notes

We left after the wan.

We laugh about it now.

Itā€™s absolutely lethal. Two drinks is plenty.

You may need to book a table I think. Itā€™s not cheap but honestly itā€™s worth it imo.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t look like you can book a table in the bar but Iā€™ll check.

A vesper Martini is the house specialty but thereā€™s a full list.

An evening drinking Pints of Harveys in The Market Porter in the Borough Market is 1 of lifeā€™s great pleasures

1 Like

I canā€™t be the only one that sees the irony of a pretend / barstool RA forum being full of lads who think London is the best city on the planet

A long read but interesting

2 Likes

Theres a book in that.

Got halfway through but would be here till next week trying to put it all together.

Mad.

Thereā€™s a lot going on alright. A sad story overall.

1 Like

Could you copy and paste please?

This link has the article if you canā€™t get past the New Yorker login pageā€¦

https://archive.ph/2024.02.10-193635/https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/02/12/a-teens-fatal-plunge-into-the-london-underworld