Looking for a portable P.C. type device?

Got one of the earlier ones a year and a half ago. Works as good as a laptop and much quicker as there’s no hard drive. You’d just have to be comfortable storing everything in the cloud. Has all the Google Docs stuff too which are slowly getting better. Think Microsoft have a similar product too. Its just like an iPad with a keyboard that’s much easier to use and you’re not locked into Apples way of doing things.

Cheers Mac. The mother always said I was living in the clouds so it’d be handy if my data was there too.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 945188, member: 1786”]UltraNote: 15.6"
2.3GHz Quad Core i7 Processor
8GB of RAM
1TB Hybrid SSHD
Full HD LED Backlit Widescreen

€710 (inc VAT).

There’s no operating system with that as I already have windows 7 disk I can use.
I’d expect to have it by the end of next week and will report back on build quality then.[/QUOTE]

Is it worth paying more a SSHD?

My laptop is wrecked and I need to order a new one today if possible. Looking for something with a 4th Gen i5 processor and at least 4GB RAM but apart from that I don’t know what to look out for. Lenovo seem to have some pretty decent models from what I’ve seen so far. What’s their reputation like?

[QUOTE=“Watch The Break, post: 1035705, member: 260”]Is it worth paying more a SSHD?

My laptop is wrecked and I need to order a new one today if possible. Looking for something with a 4th Gen i5 processor and at least 4GB RAM but apart from that I don’t know what to look out for. Lenovo seem to have some pretty decent models from what I’ve seen so far. What’s their reputation like?[/QUOTE]

They’re good tech wise but not very sturdy.

You mean the casing or the hardware itself?

Casing. One small drop and bits and pieces were flying off everywhere.

Need a new laptop for work, need a minimum of 8GB RAM for some software I will be running, anyone care to recommend?

@Rocko @TreatyStones and other tech experts.

My current laptop is a few years old, the battery has completely died on it which means it has to be connected to the mains at all times when being used. I was thinking of investing in a Chromebook? I have a work laptop which I bring home occasionally for work related purposes but I don’t want using it for stuff like torrents etc.

I’d only really use it for surfing the web and torrents, would it be suitable for this or would I need something with a proper hard drive?

The Toshiba Cromebook 2 has got great reviews and is really cheap.

Chromebook is fine for surfing. Hard Drive probably not big enough for torrents on them. Could you use an external hard drive?

I suppose I could. Would it work?

Never tried it but no reason it shouldn’t. Am sure if you search there’s bound to be someone on a forum somewhere who’s tried it.

Should I start a Calling Mac thread?

1 Like

What’s your budget?

I have this fella for the past few weeks. Performs really well so far but it might be over your budget as Id use this for alot of heavy UI work where I need the horsepower. €800 euro or so so.

Stay away from Chromebooks - processors just not up to par with a decent laptop.

I’ve got a custom built laptop from UK, but need to run resource-heavy apps simultaneously. Has a SSD and i7 processor. Perfect for the abuse I throw at it.

Depending on your budget, you could pick up a nice secondhand one. If it’s just torrents and that you’ll be using it for, you could get a cheap-as-chips laptop with a nice big screen and stick one of the Linux distros on it. Should be substantially faster than, say Windows 7. I picked up a nice secondhand one for Mrs. Moth 3 years ago and it’s still working like a dream.

Hi lads.

@TreatyStones
@Rocko
@KinvarasPassion

Thinking about picking up one of these two tomorrow. €50 difference between them, seem to be pretty much the exact same spec so care to explain.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/hp-15ac152sa-156-laptop-silver/329318/396.0.0

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/hp-15ac151sa-156-laptop-silver/329303/396.0.0

The extra 50 euro is for a faster processor. The cheaper one if an i3 and the other one is an i5.

Depends on your usage but an i3 is a decent chip and would suffice I would think.

1 Like

I might be wrong but I think that I’m i3 processor could be faster than the i5 one

2 Likes

Go for the i5. The one component you can’t really upgrade in time. Solid state drives are the way to go nowadays and make bootup and performance instantaneous. Only downside is they are limited in size, generally around 250GB.

1 Like