Los Angeles 2028 - The Games of the XXXIV Olympiad

More black athletes wonā€™t be long in coming through in athletics in Ireland. itā€™s only a matter of time. Thereā€™s the lad Israel Olatunde (what happened him this year?). The GAA will have a perception problem as regards lack of minority representation before too long if it doesnā€™t make a massive effort to attract ethnic minorities and that starts filtering through to senior level.

Daniel Wiffen has miraculously recovered from being unable to carry the tricolour last night

Iā€™m at the homecoming thing here great aul buzz. Not sure how big the crowd is from the air

1 Like

Jeez what a miserable stage for the homecoming.

You donā€™t remember Master McGrath then? Thereā€™s a statue of him outside Dungarvan.

7 Likes

India had a woman who was favourite for the gold in the judo (I think). Controversially she didnā€™t make the weight and was disqualified. Offered to cut her hair and all to make the weight but to no avail. President Modi was outraged.

Edit - wrestling

1 Like

I truly dont. Did he save someone down a well?

This and a tonne of kids with Eastern European parents if our athletics club is anything to go by. The underage section is full of them. Tall athletic kids (especially girls)

1 Like

I think itā€™s the same one used for the WNT where Pauw did a jig, itā€™s tiny :joy:

Well the hare she led on just as swift as the wind
He was sometimes before her and sometimes behind,
He jumped on her back and held up his ould paw -
ā€˜Long live the Republicā€™, says Master McGrath.

2 Likes

The thing about greyhound racing is that its probably the pass time of relatively poor farmers with fuck all else in their lives

Pakistan and India were 1-2 in the menā€™s javelin in Paris 2024.

Ireland will see a benefit from the Eastern European love for the field
events of track and field.

1 Like

Hardly not?

There is something I learned today. There is a statue of Master McGrath on the main street in Lurgan as well - considering his heroics were over 100 years ago and the doggy set have had to have statues of the same dog at both ends of Ireland suggests greyhounds day has come and gone.

2 Likes

He was owned by Lord Lurgan.

2 Likes

Womenā€™s weightlifting was one of the highlights of the latest renewal in Paris. Magnificent entertainment. How is Paddy fixed as regards lady weightlifters?

Is this one of those bandstands that doubles up as the back of a truck? Itā€™s awful!

Fuckin Marty

Well, I knowā€™, says the Master, ā€˜we have wild heather
Bogs
But, bedad, in old Ireland thereā€™s good men and dogs
Lead on, bold Britannia, give none of your jaw
Stuff that up your nostrilsā€™, says Master Mcgrath

No adeleke?

Poor old Marty knows nobody on the stage :rofl:

1 Like