Macedonia v Ireland - European Championship Qualifier

St Leger hasn’t played since before the last Macedonia game. He got injured in training before that game if you recall. He was only a doubt for the game on the Saturday but hasn’t played since with the injury he picked up then.

I’d certainly have Coleman ahead of Lawrence but I think Fahey should be ahead of both of them. He’s done well for Ireland when selected and provides a bit of balance to McGeady’s more orthodox wingplay.

Dunne’s suspended, right? St Ledger must be very unlikely then if he hasn’t played in 6 weeks. O’Dea is out too so O’Shea is probably a certainty to play in the centre.

Correct on all that Bandage. You’ve really taken to this supporting the national team thing.

Baby steps.

Saw the last 10 minutes of the West Ham-Blackburn match. Robbie Keane missed a very easy chance to give West Ham the win. Ball flashed across the face of the goal perfectly for him and he couldn’t even make contact with it.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 573686”]
Paddy Kenny’s time has come once again.[/quote]

Just mentioned there on the BBC Championship highlights programme that Paddy Kenny won the POTY award at QPR in both the supporters and player votes.

I also believe David Forde is pretty average based on admittedly few viewings of him.

It’s unbelieveable to think that our best player will probably not be selected to start against Macedonia.

He looked fierce fit in his interview compared to how he used to be. Fair play to the man.

The only time I’ve seen Forde play was last year in the League 1 play off final against Huddersfield and he was annoyingly good.

Paddy Kenny has been blackguarded by the 26 counties side. He’s one of the best keepers plying his trade across the water.

JOS off presumably injured at half time. Bad news.

If he’s fucked we fucked! :frowning:

Big Mick said that Kevin Doyle should be ok for Wolves fixture next week.

bad news for us then

:smiley:

would def start Long myself. Will need his pace on the counter attack. Walters has no class to speak of but his bumbling presence might unsettle Macedonia.

Looks like

Given
Foley, O’Shea, Clark, Kilbane
Fahey, Whelan, Gibson, McGeady
Keane, Long

If O’Shea is out is it Stephen Kelly that is next in line?

That’s not true. He’s scored some lovely goals, frequently outwits defenders with little flicks and plays with intelligence. He’s come on a huge amount over the season. I didn’t think he’d do anything when he joined Stoke, to be honest.

I’d be surprised if Doyle didn’t start. Long has done well but Trap clearly values Doyle and he has a couple of friendlies to give him gametime first. We lost a bit of shape against Macedonia when Long replaced Doyle too and we need to be better at holding the ball up away from home.

yeah long was shit but if reports are to believed made up for it with a fine display in the friendly after. He just never settled when he came on against Macedonia but he is the man in form and will definitely last 90 mins.

I love to see Kevin Doyle doing well but I think he needs a complete reevaluation of his game during the summer. Starting by losing some muscle, improving his core strength as he is starting to be very injury prone, getting a hair cut, toning down his shade what I suspect is bronzing lotion, cutting out all his media work and changing clubs away from Mick McCarthy’s tard tactics and training. Trap may have a lot of time for him but he was a far better player 2 years ago imo, also under Stan he was very good but I think if Long comes up to the mark his place up front will come under question.

In saying that Trap will no doubt select him and Doyle will justifty his inclusion same as Keane last time out.

Kilbane got a lovely header in the first half of the League One playoff. Nice run across the defender and a fine finish. Played well in midfield too.

The Football Association of Ireland has confirmed that the Republic of Ireland will play Italy in a friendly match on 7 June in Liege, Belgium.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s Republic team will play Cesare Prandelli’s Italy in Liege, Belgium, on 7 June at 8.45pm local time - 7.45pm Irish time. The friendly will be played at Standard Liege’s home ground, Stade Maurice Dufrasne.

The match will follow the Republic’s Euro 2012 qualifier in FYR Macedonia on 4 June.

The teams last met in World Cup 2010 qualifcation - UEFA Group 8. Both home and away fixtures resulted in draws, a 1-1 draw in Stadio San Nicola, Bari on 1 April 2009 and a 2-2 draw in Croke Park, Dublin, on 10 October 2009

A bizarre fixture. Whatever chance they had of getting a crowd in Italy or Ireland why on earth would we play in Liege? And at the end of a long season. Just makes no sense.