MacRoaster: A collection of Short Stories

The Hangover

It was early on a Wednesday morning, Mac pulled himself up off the couch, half-disorientated and reeking of booze. Empty cans of Guinness strewn all over the floor with dribbles of vomit traipsing down his plaid shirt. Awkwardly making his way over to the kitchen sink, bare-footed and making no effort to avoid the wreckage of the previous night he filled himself a pint of water and venomously grabbed the paracetamol box from the top shelf.

“Fuck it”, he barked, the paracetamol box was empty and Mac’s headache was worsening. He peered over his hideous hook nose to the fridge and plundered his way over, forcibly swinging it open and grabbing some slices of ham and scoffing them down. He trundled back to the couch and sat upright staring at the smashed wedding photo on the wall, a state of agitation took over as Mac let out a big sigh and rubbed his hands coarsely through his greasy and unkempt hair. Unable to settle he grabbed his keys and phone, put on his boots and made for the back door, managing to collide with both sides of the door frame on his exit.

Outside, the weather was much like how Mac was feeling - miserable and gloomy. He shuffled through his pockets for the keys to open his battered looking Mitsubishi Pajero, his hands shaking from the night before, after a few second he eventually maneuvered the keys out only to drop them into a puddle of water at his feet.

“Ya fuckinnn’ bashtard, ya” roared Mac who took into a fit of rage and furiously kicked the front tyre on the driver’s side of his vehicle. Eventually composing himself, he picked up the keys, opened the door and laboriously dragged himself into the driver’s seat. He put the keys in the ignition and started the vehicle, turning the wipers on and bleakly pausing to take in the depressing state of the weather outside. Looking forlorn and in need of inspiration, he put his head back on the headrest and then leaned forward, resting his head on the steering wheel.

Finally wakening himself from his unenthusiastic slumber, Mac sprung up and turned his radio on, punching the number 1 button on his car radio, it was Newstalk and it was Ivan Yates. “Shuhpose I better get on with so” Mac said purposefully to himself. He backed his jeep up, over the kerb and in on the garden and turned it for the road.

Still agonising over a terrible booming pain in his head, Mac pulled up at the service station, ignorantly abandoning his car in the only available disabled parking spot. He swung his door wide open and stumbled out of the vehicle, bringing a load of ketchup sachets with him, one lodged in his arse crack which was on full display above his stained dark blue Wrangler jeans.

Cloddishly approaching the pretty lady at the till, he reached down and picked up two packs of Tayto Salt and Vinegar crisps and threw them on the counter to which the young lady pleasantly smiled.
“Hi Mac, anything else I can get ya?” asked the lady
“Pack a panadol” mumbles Mac as the lady’s face winces, taken aback at the smell of his savage bad breath.The lady rummages in the shelves behind her and picks out a packet.
“Will these do, Mac?” the lady says while presenting Mac with the package in her hand.
Mac bluntly looks at her with a half-docile, half-disdainful expression on his face and after an awkward few seconds of silence nods his head in approval. He hands over his money and takes his purchases from the counter deciding not to engage in the pleasantries offered by the cashier after the exchange.

Turning his back and walking out, he lets a squeaky, high-pitched fart just before exiting the shop, the lady, unseen to Mac just ruefully shakes her head and whispers “Dear God”.

33 Likes

:smile:

:grinning:

I always feel a description of the main protagonist’s nose helps in a story such as this.

Noted and edited.

Lovely. A co-writer credit!

Excellent. :grinning: :clap:

I cannot wait for the next installment.

:laughing:

‘MacRoaster’ would be a great name for a signature burger though wouldn’t it.

It would have to be a Quarter-pounder with cheese,onion, rasher and red sauce i feel.

2 Likes

Did MacRoaster buy any fuel?

Was it petrol or diesel? Diesel, I presume?

Did MacRoaster replace the cap after he finished filling his fuel tank? Perhaps he left it on the top of the Pajero and drove off without replacing it?

If so, will the cap stay on top of the vehicle after he drives off?

Were MacRoaster’s jeans button fly or zip fly? Was the fly closed or open? Were they bootcut? Perhaps he turned them up at the bottom?

Did the fart smell? Did he breathe in his own fart?

Will there be any further short stories on what happened to MacRoaster after he left the petrol station?

Questions only MacRoaster knows the answers to.

1 Like

Will MacRoaster be revealing these answers in a future short story written in the first person?

MacRoaster has been commisioned for a 10 part series. You’ll have to wait and see.

3 Likes

In Macs defence I wouldn’t knock a fella for leaving the fuel cap on top of the vehicle. My auld fella for example has done it many, many, many times.

I’m giggling away to myself 10 minutes after reading it. What a start to this series.

I keenly anticipate MacRoaster’s character development over the course of this series.

Who knows what adventures he’ll get up to?

Will McDonalds drive-throughs feature?

Perhaps a trip to the races?

Yatesy also sounds like a good character and I hope to see him make further appearances.

Does Macroaster wear a pair of these

3 Likes

+1

its so realistic yet he some hows brings humour to the dreariness of macs life.

3 Likes

A great writer can make the mundane interesting :clap: