Manchester United Football Club Thread 2019/20

I wouldn’t really follow it closely enough to offer an informed opinion. My recollection of it is by 1989/90, Liverpool like Man U in Sir Alex’s last season 2012/13 were on their last lap and were winning it out of habit as much as anything. All sporting eras draw to a close. They were losing key long serving personnel as well. Alan Hansen retired around 1990 and the likes of Bruce Grobbelaar, Ronnie Whelan and Ian Rush who’d been there for most of the 1980’s were past their best, even if they did solider on for a few more years. Same could probably be said for Steve McMahon and John Barnes as well. Souness was on a hiding to nothing and an easy scapegoat, all the more so because of his favored tabloid of choice.

Some fascinating insights here with a lot of new information being revealed.

4 Likes

English soccer is Ireland’s main sporting interest .

Can anyone explain to me why how much clubs spent is something that Irish fans of English teams argue about or use to score points with? Id love to hear what it’s about

Man U v Liverpool is the biggest sporting rivalry in Ireland. There’s nothing like it to fire Irish sporting fans up.

1 Like

As a neutral can you explain what the money thing is about chairman Dan? Obviously the arguing about players managers old teams etc makes some sense from a sporting point of view even if it can seem ridiculous to hear people with no connection to the clubs doing it. The net spend, youth system type stuff makes no sense at all to me when it’s a professional sport and spending money and buying players is completely within the rules. :man_shrugging:

I don’t know mate. I don’t really understand the Eire footix mindset. I’m not the biggest soccer man in the world. It would be down the list of my sporting interests. I just support by local team in North London, Tottenham Hotspur.

It’s how people operate in the modern world… Moral victories are won with inane stats that don’t matter… It’s nothing to do with sport or the club’s being discussed, but rather it’s a badge of honour to show everyone how one person is right in life and the other wrong. In this sense the goal posts keep moving and the most trivial of subjects become huge battle grounds for lads to show how they are right. Generally, the lads that incessantly engage in this stuff in a meaningful way have nothing going on in their lives.

1 Like

I’d imagine the footix feels that football success is more meaningful when it’s acquired through modest spending, rather than just outspending everyone to attempt to ensure guarantee of success.

There’s probably a certain truth to that. It’s a money driven sport though and it’s very hard for anyone outside the elite coterie of super franchises with unlimited resources like the two Manchesters and Chelsea to win the league. The likes of Liverpool winning the league is a throwback.

1 Like

Like a throwback to when Meath and Offaly could rule the roost in Leinster football before the massive investment in Dublin GAA.

It would make sense if they were involved in underage coaching with the club or worked in the club’s scouting department. Otherwise its completely preposterous

@Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy is a scout for AS Roma in the Italian Serie A I believe.

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1276901547541135360?s=21

No Brandon Willaims again :frowning:

1 Like

Igalhoooooo

Ducks sake

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12018033/jadon-sancho-manchester-united-will-not-pay-more-than-50m-for-england-winger

Then you’re not getting him chief.

Code for ‘he told us to fuck off’.