Manchester United Football Club Thread 2019/20

You will in time. A serious prospect but has been very unlucky with injuries so far.

Hard to tell with young academy graduates. Remember Cameron Bortwhick-Jackson who was playing well under LVG.

Harry Maguire :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

I donā€™t think he was every playing well. LVG was an odd ball. He sold Welbeck and Michael Keane who have had ok premier league careers while promoted the likes of Tyler blackett, paddy McNair and Reece James. There was a bizarre story about Keane in particular who was told by LVG heā€™s his best centre back and a few days later he was then sold by him.

I think united have smalling, Jones, Maguire, lindelof, Rojo, Tuanzebe and Bailey on the books. Jones, smalling and Rojo need to be sold. Thatā€™s probably ten million a year on wages alone. I wouldnā€™t be against moving on lindelof either. Sign a proper partner for Maguire and develop Tuanzebe with Bailey for cover and McTominay also. I like small squads.

Tuanzebe coming up on 23 but could be a late developer like Tomori at Chelsea I suppose. Leicester v United on the last day of the season will be a defining game in the battle for top 4 now.

He was on loan at villa and done well. Reading some of their fanzines they seemed disappointed to lose him.

Maguireā€™s a donkey

Ah come here Michael Keane is rubbish. Delighted he declared for England.

I bet OLE will have made them aware of that at half time.

They paid 80m for him. Heā€™s an Ā£8m player at best.

1 Like

Cost more than VVD!

It seems like the Ed Woodwards and Daniel Levys of this world are easily mugged off

Twas another ā€˜statementā€™ signing from Utd. They prob could have got him for 30m.

Maguire is actually a fine player.

Harry Maguire is a Rolls Royce centre half.
Officer class as well.

Heā€™s decentā€¦ Could do with a better partner

Its not as blatant as outright corruption, its a lot more subtle than that. Man U despite their awful performance on the field over the last 7 years relative to the one billion investment in transfer fees to buy a winning team, remain by some distance the biggest brand in the EPL and quite possibly world soccer. Theyā€™re a money making machine. Despite all the guff and the hate campaign against the Glazers and the fire bombing of the family home of Ed Woodward for supposedly not doing things the United way, the Glazers and Woodward have presided over a golden age of financial performance at Old Trafford. All parties with vested interests benefit when the biggest brand is thriving, whether its Sky, the EPL, the sponsors or UEFA.

Bar their primarily localised fanbase, nobody wants to see pesky regional upstarts like Chris Wilderā€™s Sheffield United, Sean Dycheā€™s Burnley, Wolverhampton Wanderers or even Leicester City in the European Cup. Who really cares if Sheffield United get utterly blackguarded in their chase for a top 4 slot at Villa Park, because the fellow on the button with the VAR technology, forgot to turn it on at the start of the match.

Richard Scudamore, the recently retired chief execcutive of the EPL summed it up well back in the days when the fans were flying planes over Old Trafford, with banners calling for Moysie to be sacked. The Premier League brand is harmed when Man U are not thriving and at the top. And that was only about 7 months into the post Sir Alex era after 20 years of winning practically everything, not 7 years on after winning very little.

BBC Sport - 28 March 2014

Manchester Unitedā€™s troubled defence of their Premier League title is harming the English top flightā€™s worldwide brand, says the competitionā€™s chief executive Richard Scudamore.

Under new boss David Moyes, United are seventh in a disappointing campaign.

The 20-time champions are 18 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.

ā€œItā€™s a double-edged sword,ā€ said Scudamore. ā€œWhen your most popular club isnā€™t doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places.ā€

Former Everton manager Moyes has watched the Red Devils suffer 10 defeats in 31 league matches since he replaced Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired last summer after almost 27 years in charge.

His team were knocked out of the FA Cup at the third-round stage before being eliminated from the Capital One Cup in the semi-finals.

They have reached the Champions League quarter-finals, where they will face defending champions Bayern Munich next month.

ā€œThere are lots of fans around the world who wish Manchester United were winning it again,ā€ Scudamore told Bloomberg.

ā€œBut you have to balance that off against, generally, weā€™re in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete.ā€

Overseas television deals will earn the Premier League more than Ā£2bn between 2013 and 2016.

The Premier League sold its domestic broadcasting rights to Sky and BT in a record-breaking deal, worth around Ā£3bn, last year.

4 Likes

But he was out injured for half the time he was at Villa.

Itā€™s an interesting theory. Do they get the most penalties every year I wonder?

That goal was completely Maguireā€™s fault

2 Likes