Matters regarding Limerick, Limerick Pubs, No Culture allowed

Just researching a bit myself because the ‘historians’ are still in bed.
Search result 5 and 6 from right here (I’ll plug the phone in now)

So which Limerick street is the equivalent of Broadway?

Broadway is probably the exception to the grid system. The Dutch built the road along an old Indian path which ran along the island of manhattan. This road later became broadway.

I would recommend anybody to take some time and watch the programs which make up “New York: A documentary film” which are directed by Ric Burns. Wonderful viewing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDGA2onXoAAL1NG.jpg:large

Up there around the Belltable

That’s a lovely likeness.

1 Like

It’s lovely. Roger Moore was such a great Bond only right that Limerick remembers him.

1 Like

No offence to Terry,

But we were far better at making statues 100 years ago.

2 Likes

http://sportinglimerick.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Screen-Shot-2017-06-21-at-12.17.48-1-421x264.png

Planning in for “the Opera” site again. At this stage it doesn’t matter a fuck what they do with it as long as it starts soon. They’ve had a quarter of the city out of the action for nearly 10 years. Few decent size buildings in there 14, 7 & 8 stories. Should be objections aplenty as there’s a lot of redbrick fronts that will have to make way for shiny glass buildings.
With the “Hanging Gardens” started albeit at a snails pace, and the new development on the riverfront crane watchers will be kept entertained in Limerick for a few years.

Be a farce if they don’t keep the Georgian front of those buildings… have they learned nothing from Sarsfield house /Arthur’s Quay.

Yes. They have really added to the vibrancy of the city over the past 30 years. The fucking place is a dump and falling apart. Nothing a good sized earthquake wouldn’t solve.

1 Like

Would you fuck off - We should be preserving our buildings - no knocking them down for shiny shites that will be dated in 20 years… Typical OIrish attitude.

1 Like

Most of those Georgian fronts are in woeful condition but judging by the video in the article below it looks they aren’t even going to be included in this phase of the project.

Ffs shannn banks is a part of Clare again

When wasn’t it?

I found a book at home recently, The Building Of Limerick, might interest a weirdo like you.

To be fair to them they are being as gentle as possible. Limerick city & council building on Patrick & Ellen Street corner going along with the two buildings about 3 or 4 up from the corner of rutland street & bank place. The granary is staying too and that ugly as fuck building beside it is getting knocked as well.
None of these are originals and will be replaced by Georgian Fronted buildings anyway.

A little video of it here.

There’s a big old factory in behind the granary apparently, is it used at all? Didn’t even know it was there. Be great when/if it’s ever finished.

Four and Five Rutland Street will be refurbished to provide around 378 square metres of retail floor space at ground floor level, and 435 square metres of ofice floor space on upper levels.

Units 1-5 Patrick Street and 4-6 Ellen Street will be refurbished and integrated into new units through a glazed link at first floor level. This will bring 862 square metres of retail space, and a further 4,877 square metres of office floor space.

I take this as they’ll leave the buildings in place but gut them and open them out into the ones behind them.