Michael Meehan

Surely the best footballer in the country now bar none.
Discuss.

Really? What are you basing this on? 4 league matches? How many have you seen?

Cooper scored 6 points against Derry last week.

Marc O S is on fire at 6 for Kerry.

James Kielt looks tasty for Derry.

Eoin Bradley is tearing it up for Derry and is looking a better prospect now than Paddy.

Davy Harte is composure itself for Tyrone in a bad run at the moment.

And thats just off the top of my head.

Too early to toss garlands at Mickey yet, although he had a great 08 after a very very tough 07 for him and his family.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Really? What are you basing this on? 4 league matches? How many have you seen?

Cooper scored 6 points against Derry last week.

Marc O S is on fire at 6 for Kerry.

James Kielt looks tasty for Derry.

Eoin Bradley is tearing it up for Derry and is looking a better prospect now than Paddy.

Davy Harte is composure itself for Tyrone in a bad run at the moment.

And thats just off the top of my head.

Too early to toss garlands at Mickey yet, although he had a great 08 after a very very tough 07 for him and his family.[/quote]

I’m basing it on seeing him for a year and 3 months of football, he’s almost unmarkable. He is stronger than Gooch, thus with a similar skill levels i would just about pop for Meehan.

I also said it was “now”, things i know can change for championship, but he was awesome in that last year as well.

I agree about all the players above of course (especially Harte), just think Meehan is unmarkable. He has been class in every single game. Just my opinion.

Meh I just dont get decreeeing someone to be the best football in the country when all we see if highlights and one live televised game, unless of course you’re folloing Galway around these days.

I’m just delighted to see him fulfilling his potential after all that happened. He is an outstanding player, no questions here on that, I just think its a no thing question because its impossible to tell yet.

League form will most likely be forgotten anyway come Cship, it usaully is when it comes to the All Stars anyway.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Meh I just dont get decreeeing someone to be the best football in the country when all we see if highlights and one live televised game, unless of course you’re folloing Galway around these days.

I’m just delighted to see him fulfilling his potential after all that happened. He is an outstanding player, no questions here on that, I just think its a no thing question because its impossible to tell yet.

League form will most likely be forgotten anyway come Cship, it usaully is when it comes to the All Stars anyway.[/quote]

His scoring ratio is supreme MBB, against good teams. I’ve seen highlights like you this year, but those highlights have been simply all Michael Meehan to be honest, and some of his kicking has been out of this world. Galway have a fine team all round, but this is the guy who may well drag them over the line to an All-Ireland this year. Would be great for football if they did.
Again i was talking about now. How many of us get to see every player in every game anyway, even through championship. Going on reading the papers some of the journalists don’t even watch every game.

Galway and Derry would be my outside bets this year, well worth a few quid each way of anyones money.

Would agree in sorts with Kev here ( :eek: ). Meehan is a class act and how the lad didn’t get an all-star last year was a disgrace. He has fantastic pace and vision and seems to be a prolific scorer. Don’t know if I’d be proclaiming him the best yet but damned close all the same.

Definitely deserved one over Forde anyway, thats for sure. He walked on water last year.

Forde didn’t get one.

I was tempted to look it up to see if he did before I posted but I was lazy. I was of course stirring :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, Forde didn’t deserve one last year.
Red did though.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Nah, Forde didn’t deserve one last year.
Red did though.[/quote]

Agree here, but the competition was fierce. I think Barry is a real class act, and wexford are clearly missing his creativity.

No more agreeing now Pike, you prick.:stuck_out_tongue:

Meehan is an excellent footballer, and an absolute gentleman by all accounts as well, but I don’t think you could say he is the best footballer in the country.

As I have said before, he gave the finest individual performance in Croker last year but that was the first time he really did it on the big stage - well say outside of Connacht.

You couldn’t say that he is better than Gooch or Cavanagh at this present time.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Meehan is an excellent footballer, and an absolute gentleman by all accounts as well, but I don’t think you could say he is the best footballer in the country.

As I have said before, he gave the finest individual performance in Croker last year but that was the first time he really did it on the big stage - well say outside of Connacht.

You couldn’t say that he is better than Gooch or Cavanagh at this present time.[/quote]

Absolutely fantastic against Kerry he was. High hopes for Galway this year. Strong enough spine to the team at this stage with Hanley, Blake and Joyce playing through he middle. Still gotta worry about midfield and GK but a lovely full forward line too.

Sammon has them playing lovely stuff as well - as he had them doing last year. This year though they should kick on.

I always liked Galway as a football team despite knowing some unsavoury characters from the county.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Sammon has them playing lovely stuff as well - as he had them doing last year. This year though they should kick on.

I always liked Galway as a football team despite knowing some unsavoury characters from the county.[/quote]

By unsavoury I can only assume you mean sweet.

Meehan playing well these days alright. Last year was his first really good year in a Galway senior jersey when his underage potential finally came through. Almost single handidly won a Hogan Cup for us in 2002. He has probably all medals won this stage bar a senior all Ireland.

Galway could be in the shake up for silverware next September but we’re still short 2 or 3 players I think. Namely a midfield partner for Joe cos Cullinane is a pile of shite.

Cullinane is better than Lydon though.

Mike Frank is the man who has every single football medal available, some going to be fair to him.

Meehan v Declan O Sullivan, I’ve heard wonderful stories about those games in the Hogan.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Mike Frank is the man who has every single football medal available, some going to be fair to him.

Meehan v Declan O Sullivan, I’ve heard wonderful stories about those games in the Hogan.[/quote]

It was a good one alright. First match being the best game of football I ever seen in my life.

Strange thing is only O 'Sullivan and Sheehan (who was playing in goal) made it playing for Kerry while there must be about 10 of the Jarlath’s team who have had senior intercounty experience. We also had James Kavanagh of Kildare playing midfield for us that year too.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/college-classics-right-up-there-with-best-of-them-1265472.html