Mickee321's Sunday drives thread

Never been there tbh, Iā€™m sure itā€™s a fine spot. Slieve Donard might be the pick of the attractions in that part of the world. Itā€™s about 4 hours to the top and back down, itā€™s a tough enough walk but thereā€™s a decent rough path. Walking boots would definitely be best but Iā€™ve seen people in trainers
You start in Newcastle town car park.

Tollymore forest park in the vicinity of Newcastle, co Down is an Amazing spot, Newcastle itself is a grand little town as well

1 Like

Never been tollymore either. All Newcastle is missing is a decent beach and a few less amusement arcades. Maybe a sea that isnā€™t radioactive would help a little also.

Who gives a fuck ?

Nobody gives a fuck about any of this shit,

Agree.

The Donkey Sanctuary in Liscaroll is a grand little spin for a few hours. It could do with a decent coffee shop and a playground but its free, safe for kids and there is wonderful views of the rolling N Cork countryside everywhere you look.

2 Likes

What age are your kids @mickee321? And how are they for the long journeys. Our little fella is 3 and could kick off like a loon on a long journey.

Climbed Slieve Gullion when I was a nipper, well, when I was 14.

From what I remember thereā€™s a road that goes a considerable way up the mountain itself.

I climbed it from the bottom of the road and itā€™s easy peasy - itā€™s not far from the road to the summit.

Slieve Donard is the highest mountain in Ulster and is a much tougher climb than Gullion but well doable. I climbed it from a place called Bloodybridge a few km south of Newcastle and descended into the car park at the edge of the town. The Mourne mountains are magnificent. Driving across from Newry to Newcastle you can either go through the Mournes themselves through Hilltown and Mayobridge or the coastal road through Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, which is a lovely spot, and Kilkeel, which to be fair, is a shithole. Silent Valley reservoir is another place well worth a visit if the weather is good. Castlewellan near Newcastle has a nice forest park with a lake, directly adjacent to the town - itā€™s regularly used for races on the Irish rowing scene.

Slieve Foye overlooking Carlingford town and lough is lower in altitude but in my experience a harder climb than Donard - Iā€™ve climbed Foye twice.

1 Like

I told a fair few Fingallions about this, only 45 mins away but they were far too interested in Cricket, yachting and watching stick stick and bog ballā€¦itā€™s the kids I feel sorry for.

Last year wasnā€™t outstanding though, it bucketed down, awful, got soaked.

Keep an eye for the High Nelly race in Trim and the Moynalvey Tractor Run, two great days.

Thereā€™s drive in Bingo this Sunday in Summerhill GAA, not my cup of tea though, oh and a circus this weekend out beside Lidl, could keep the lad entertained from 3pm on Sundayā€¦Iā€™ll see you in McCormacks for a refreshment at 5pm!

4 and 1 Junhniallio
so for the longer ones like Achill and the belfast trip we stayed over
Achill was a big drive- from our place to westport is 3 hour 15 non stop so we just planned on getting first to longford which is one hour of shocking country roads to the Macdonalds there before driving on.
we stayed in the hotel westport and then on the saturday drove the leisurly one hour out to achill
usually on a weekend weā€™d try not to go over 1 hour really

The way you put your wife and children first and plan these weekends in advance is inspiring. To do so at the expense of going to sporting events/on the piss yourself is a mark of your maturity and realisation of where your priorities lie.

Unlike @Bandage that goes where heā€™s told.

Your kids would love the aquarium at Portaferry, they can pet rays and dog fish, hold starfish and feed seals. Getting the Strangford ferry might be an adventure for them as well.
Itā€™s a humble enough effort if youā€™ve been to a decent aquarium but my two have been twice and want to go back.

@mickee321

I wonā€™t be around but diary the 18th June for your Sunday drive to Trim for the Hay Making festival.

Not as good as the Dunderry Fair but not bad!

The 18th of June is a Monday, mate.

Not in 2023

@mickee321

I went to Nobber to see the birds with the two young Ungo Bungos.

A bit of a disappointment, the youngest fell asleep so we couldnā€™t leave the car and the eldest didnā€™t give two shits about the birds and kept saying he would have rathered go swimming.

Had a cracking day out in the Irish Military War Museum up in Collon, Meath. Some great oul bits and pieces from the two World Wars, Nam and Desert Storm. The two oul boys had plenty of great yarns and facts for the adults and kids alike. No inflatable zone out the back due to weather but no harm.

Grand feed in the Lime Kiln in Julianstown after sent us on our merry way.

3 Likes

Grand aul drive anyway.