weird

Delighted to hear mate
Its brilliant place to go

Signing in from enniskillen castle

It’s unreal

1 Like

That’s true actually. Fabulous amenity.

a phenomenal weekend - i hadnt the ability to update due to lack of connection

The plan for the weekend was to head to a house that we and another family rented outside Lettermacaward in Co, Donegal - the choice of venue was adhoc and the accomodation at 300 euro for 2 nights was adequete for the 4 adults and 4 kids,

saturday - we hit the N3 around 11 but the rain of biblical proportions and much fanfare had really disspated to a damp enough affair by the time we hit Lavey outside Virginia - omens were good.
We (I) decided the rendez vous would be Enniskillen Castle - its bang on half way between us and the final destination but our south dublin based travel compansions felt a but aggrieved,
Outside Teemore we were acccosted by the PSNI who told us of an “incident” and sent us x- country towards Ennsikillen,
Enniskillen struck me as a dark place - the castle however is outstanding and the the 20 pound charged on enterance for all 8 of us was worth it - there is a magnificent military exhibitiion glorifying the actions of the “Inniskelligs” i belive and their role in the british army - notwithstanding one’s impartiality this is an excellent piece of work and the quite wonderful staff made this a visit to remenber.
we found food options within walking distance tricky for our party and eventually settled on a quite wonderful sandwich joint called “the jolly sandwich”, a respectfully posh old prodestant woman made us feel welcome and squeezed us in - the q was out the door and i reccomend…

we go the fuck out of the the town afterwards and headed to ALdi in Donegal town to stock up - from then onto the house in Lettermacard
Sunday was a drive over the Glengesh pass to the phenomenal Sleive League (sp) cliffs that makee the cliffs of moher look like joe’s garage.
down then to killybegs where i examined the fishing trawlers at my leisure whilst the others ate ice cream ( you can take man out of cobh, etc)

we rounded of today with a visit to the Maghera caves
the way back was epic - we ate in some boozer in the quite magnificent donegal town where there is piped music playing in the main square, then fun started
i headed back thru Beeleek to Belcoo - this is the most godforesaken area of gloom i had ever in all my life witnessed - miles of nothingness - i thought we were done when we left Belcoo but then we entered Blacklion in Cavan before heading back into Fermanagh before i bate off in the directon of Virginia and home
lads - i have never seen a place as bleek of isolated as Belcoo and blacklion- this place is very sad.
as an aside i was depressed with that part of Fermangh - every place was closed and boarded up - it reminded me of heading from Foynes to Listowel and driving thru places like Athea, i dont know what fellas do with thenselves there really
im knackered now tho

23 Likes

Enniskillen is a very sinister place, despite it being a majority nationalist town you just get the whole loyalist undertones there. The unionists are still the boss there.

100% - i got it and i didnt feel at ease there
outside the castle there is a big old monument with the poppy’s
C’mere the good thing about fermangh is you dont see any flags and i always liked the fact that the nationlists dont need to fly a tricolor to tell people that you are in Ireland - east of the Bann that shite starts and you see the butchers apron
Fermanagh itself id say is a nice enough old spot and my work colleagues tell me that people seem to get on allright - but you are 100% correct on Enniskillen - i felt it in my bones

Fermanagh is grand but Enniskillen has that atmosphere there, there’s an edge to it and you feel like you’re in Lisburn. You do get the odd place like that in the north but for given the proximity to the border and the fact it’s a majority nationalist town, it’s very strange and uneasy. I don’t know what it is but I always tend to fee a sense of paranoia there.

i felf like the saturday night in january 2016 when we stopped in the tesco in ballymena to buy aptimal formula enroute to belfast from the giants causeway
i genuinely didnt feel right in there and i remember herself asking me what the fuck was wrong as i stalked around the shop - we had some row in the car then

6 Likes

Wexford played Fermanagh in Enniskillen in 2006 around the 12th of July. I remember stuck in traffic on the way into the town a bunch of locals walking alongside the cars banging on the windows of any car with Wexford jerseys inside. They were sticking out their hands to shake ours and told us how much they appreciated us travelling given the time of year involved. It was a gorgeous sunny day but the town just seemed plain grim. Lovely people but a weird town.

1 Like

Not such a dark place today - St. Michael’s Enniskillen were superb in their 0-16 to 2-6 victory over Omagh CBS in the showpiece of the schools’ GAA year in Ireland - the MacRory Cup final.

It completed the double for St. Michael’s in Ireland’s two most prestigious schools’ sporting competitions - their Ailesbury Road counterparts having won the Leinster Senior Schools Cup final yesterday.

1 Like

That ye took time out from picking the strawberries is it?

3 Likes

wait until @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy reads that post from him…

I was only ever in Lisburn town (if Lisburn is a city then so is New Ross) centre once. I was caddying for my brother in a youths golf tournament. It was not long after the Twelfth in 2001. Four or five of us piled into the car of another southern lad who was playing in the tournament and staying in the place we were in (Down Royal Racecourse). We went into Lisburn to get a take away, it was quite late, about 11pm. Yer man parked a bit down from a Chinese but for some reason I stayed in the car while the others went in. A few groups of pretty aggressive looking lads in their early 20s walked past, the type you could imagine being water cannoned at a stand off over a march, and I was shitting it due to being on my own at night in a car with a southern registration which must have stuck out like a sore thumb. I was half expecting a bottle to come through the back windscreen, but thankfully none of them appeared to notice it was a southern car. I was relieved enough when the other lads came back and we got the hell out of there.

If they’d been black lads would you have been racist?/ so you were sitting in a car and some lads walked past?

They were certainly black Prods, which I believe is a common term up around your way.

2 Likes

Off to knowth
Updates to follow

Trim castle, tayto park and yesterday afternoon in blackwater. .

Unreal weekend

1 Like

You should push onto Newgrange farm. It’s unreal.

1 Like