Missing People In Ireland

:smile:

Very good in fairness,I won’t lie, I liked that response

3 Likes

:ronnyroar:

Yet again I find myself nodding in agreement with you buddy.

Mac has @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy dancing like a puppet here.

Meant to say to you last night that my wan has pulled out of the wife swap. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve dodged a bullet there

Not to worry mate. Sure that’s women for you.

1 Like

A little off topic, just had a look at the wikipedia page for Patricia Case, psychiatrist and founder of the Iona Institute. This caught my attention:

Views on counselling
In the Irish Examiner newspaper of 13 May 1999, Casey was quoted as saying that counselling is a waste of time for treating depression.[33] The journalist Caroline O’Doherty wrote that Casey, an advocate of Prozac and related SSRI treatments, was speaking following the publication of a study in the British Medical Journal which asserted that counselling had no benefits for patients with depression. Casey was referring to a study on depression published in the British Medical Journal on 1 May 1999 by Ulrik Fredrik Malt, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Oslo who provided expert evidence at the trial of Anders Behring Breivik. The only counselling involved in the study was the request that GPs be supportive during the consultation. Malt’s paper clearly stated that specific forms of counselling were excluded from the study.

In response to similar claims by Casey in the Sunday Business Post of 4 July 1999 ( ‘Counsellor, Heal Thyself’ ), Ivor Browne, Casey’s predecessor as Professor of Psychiatry at University College Dublin, wrote in the Sunday Business Post on 11 July 1999 that the reference to counselling in the paper was merely incidental and that the concern of the paper was a comparison of one anti-depressant with another, continuing that;

This study did not involve any significant psychotherapy of counselling input. I can only assume that Professor Casey was pressed for time when she read this

Brown continued to note that there is a well established body of research demonstrating the effectiveness of counselling and psychotherapy and expressed his surprise that Casey was unaware of these studies.

She sounds like one hell of a psychiatrist!

Not in Ireland but the story of the Irish lad found by a canal in France is extremely weird.
Supposed to be on a train to Barcelona to meet his missus from Amsterdam. Got off in Perpignan and rang her freaking out saying he saw someone shot. Went to the police who brought him to hospital. He checked himself out and no one heard anything from him for years and now his body has been found buried by a canal. It’s not clear yet if it was buried or in the canal, or if he was murdered or what, but the family have got no answers from the French police as to whether there was even an incident on the train that day. He was coming from Amsterdam so maybe he was off his face or something but if he was murdered it really is bizarre

This article makes it sound like he was found buried beside the canal

Weird stuff indeed. I remember the details all those years ago from when he went missing. It sounds like Jason Bourne type stuff, where he claims to have witnessed someone shoot someone else on a European train before fleeing for his life and ending up being dug up many years later himself.

I suppose the cops didn’t take it so seriously that time when they heard a fella raving about a shooting on a train, and obviously there must not have been any report of same. Probably chalked up to ‘Well this fella is in his twenties traveling Europe and is coming from Amsterdam station, he’s most likely off his head. And he’s fallen in the canal.’ but this confirms that there had to be something more sinister involved and a truth to his accusations back then.

1 Like

Would this lad have “been known to Gardai” before he went off travelling?

1 Like

Was the shooting incident ever verified?

Not as far as I know. By the sounds of things the cops thought he’d gone crackers but IF he was buried it’s a whole different story

NEWS REVIEW
What really happened to Paul Shine Dixon?
The 28-year-old Dubliner, whose remains were found near a French canal, may have been trying to escape from criminals intent on killing him

John Mooney
July 29 2018, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

Paul Shine Dixon vanished without trace after he left the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, in the southern French city of Perpignan, on May 3, 2009. The 28-year-old had been taken to a medical centre after police found him wandering in a highly distressed state.

Dixon had arrived in Perpignan unexpectedly after he got off a train bound for Barcelona, where he was due to meet his pregnant girlfriend. He had boarded the train in Amsterdam, but called his girlfriend en route to say that he was disembarking in France because he had seen someone being shot in one of the carriages and feared that he was being followed.

Dixon had no visible injuries when he was found in Perpignan, but staff at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire thought he might be mentally unwell. He discharged himself and disappeared.

The mystery of what became of the Dubliner was partly solved last week when the French authorities contacted his family to say DNA tests had proved that human remains found close to a canal that runs through the city were those of Dixon.

The remains were discovered in December and appeared to have been buried in a shallow grave. However, nothing of any evidential value was found in the vicinity that could help identify the body. There was no wallet, no money, no belongings and no passport. It took almost six months of painstaking work before the French police were able to match Dixon’s DNA with samples taken from the unidentified body.

Dixon’s mother, Clare Shine, who has led a campaign for eight years to find out what became of her son, was officially informed of the discovery this month.

“It wasn’t the outcome I wanted, but I didn’t expect him to be found alive at this stage,” she said last week. “I am just so thankful he has been found. I have thought about Paul every day for the past eight years. We were very close. He was a good son to me. He was always very respectful.”

Shine travelled to France after her son vanished and knew instinctively that something had happened when he did not call home. “When he didn’t ring for a few days, I had this dreadful feeling that something had happened to him. I went to the gardai and the Department of Foreign Affairs seeking help, and reported him missing days later,” said Shine, who thanked the French police and the gardai for their help over the years.

The French authorities are treating the death as suspicious. An inquiry led by a magistrate is under way and may result in a murder investigation.

Dixon left Ireland on the pretence of travelling around Europe, but gardai believe he feared his imminent arrest, or his murder at the hands of criminals. He had become embroiled in crime and gang activity in the Finglas area of Dublin in the years before he vanished. Gardai believe he may have been involved in at least one gangland murder.

Dixon was identified as a person of interest to gardai investigating the murder of Trevor Walsh, a 33-year-old criminal who was shot dead in July 2008. Walsh was murdered days after he was granted temporary release from prison, where he was serving a three-year sentence for firearms offences.

Dixon was nominated as a possible suspect within hours by local informers, according to security sources. Walsh was murdered on the instructions of Eamon Dunne, a criminal from Cabra who was suspected of involvement in 17 murders between 2006 and his violent death in April 2010. Nicknamed “the Don” by the tabloids, Dunne was shot dead in front of his teenage daughter at a friend’s birthday party near his home.

Gardai privately suspect Dunne arranged to have Dixon murdered and secretly buried. Detectives who monitored Dunne’s activities believe he feared Dixon might break in custody and implicate him in the killing, should he be arrested and extradited by gardai.

“Dunne took no chances,” said one officer familiar with the case.

“Dixon told his family he thought he was being followed. He probably was, or maybe he was travelling with someone who told him to say this before they delivered him into the hands of his killers. It’s hard to know. Dunne always said dead men don’t talk,” added the detective.

Dixon’s remains are likely to be repatriated in September.

“How do I feel? I’m just grateful that Paul has been found and we can give him a burial,” said Shine.

1 Like

Guards have opened a murder investigation into the Deirdre Jacob disappearance based on new info

Fascinating. I would safely say a certain convicted rapist and attempted murderer is in the frame.

Is the Disclosures Tribunal on today?

5 Likes

I’m sure he is, even though he wasnt in newbridge on the day.

They might even try and link it to yerman who killed the Filipino girl.

In fact they’ll do anything but properly investigate the case.