Missing Women in Ireland

He should be hung in the middle of Glasgow after Sunday service.

Sunday papers made for grim reading. :frowning:

Hopefully the body will released to the family soon and it won’t be a closed coffin. :frowning:

Jesus that’s grim.

No one can convince me that capital punishment is not appropriate for bastards like this guy.

This conversation cropped up a few times over the weekend and Yeah I’d fully agree. You’l have the defense stating that he was affected by his past (crash and coma) and that he wasn’t in his full mind etc but @Tassotti and the rest of the UK taxpayers are going to have to fork out to keep this animal alive for the next 60 years.

Be done with him now. If you have a dog that attacked a kid, you’d put him down. How is this different?

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1126352, member: 686”]This conversation cropped up a few times over the weekend and Yeah I’d fully agree. You’l have the defense stating that he was affected by his past (crash and coma) and that he wasn’t in his full mind etc but @Tassotti and the rest of the UK taxpayers are going to have to fork out to keep this animal alive for the next 60 years.

Be done with him now. If you have a dog that attacked a kid, you’d put him down. How is this different?[/QUOTE]

The Birmingham Six and Guildford 4 would have been executed under that rule

Also people are not executed straight away so would spend a decade or more on death row

It’s a cliché but hard cases make bad law

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1126366, member: 2272”]The Birmingham Six and Guildford 4 would have been executed under that rule

Also people are not executed straight away so would spend a decade or more on death row

It’s a cliché but hard cases make bad law[/QUOTE]

Agree, it wont happen and I should have added more to my initial post on this.

With advances in technology and Where they is digital evidence that the person committed the murder then the argument is stronger though?

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1126352, member: 686”]This conversation cropped up a few times over the weekend and Yeah I’d fully agree. You’l have the defense stating that he was affected by his past (crash and coma) and that he wasn’t in his full mind etc but @Tassotti and the rest of the UK taxpayers are going to have to fork out to keep this animal alive for the next 60 years.

Be done with him now. If you have a dog that attacked a kid, you’d put him down. How is this different?[/QUOTE]
For the obvious reason that killing a human prisoner is the mark of a savage, and a human life should not be measured in the costs of imprisonment.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1126366, member: 2272”]The Birmingham Six and Guildford 4 would have been executed under that rule

It’s a cliché but hard cases make bad law[/QUOTE]
TUMs reason is the only reason to abolish the death penalty for me. If we had it we would inevitably kill and an innocent person as the justice system is fallible. Some people just don’t deserve to live.

I love the selectivity of the calls for the death penalty. Graham Dwyer seemed to get off quite lightly on this forum in that regard. Mark Nash seems to be doing so also.

Well yeah it should be reserved for the most extreme offences but anyway, that’s the reason is be against, not any “dignity of human life” consideration. Dwyer is an affront to the dignity of human life. It’s a nonsense reason anyway given how we treat it more generally.

Have you undergone a mid-afternoon conversion into a Jeremy Clarkson type-character because you’re embarrassed at your bleeding heart liberal image?

Nope, I think it’s a natural enough conclusion. Dignity of human life arguments are hypocritical for so many reasons, your thread on the boats is a case in point.

Reading there about how convinced Dwyer was about an innocent verdict…was he given a psychiatric analysis? His delusions and fantasy thoughts are/were really incredible. Was an insanity verdict never considered?

Can we take this on a case by case basis as to whether the following people should be executed, and can we please suggest methods by which an execution would be carried out if so?

The murderer of Michaela Harte (if ever caught)
Graham Dwyer
David Ervine (if he was still alive)
Gusty Spence (if he was still alive)
Lenny Murphy (if he was still alive)
Ratko Mladic
The gunmen from the Kingsmills massacre
Adrian Bayley (murdered Jill Meagher)
Mark Chapman
Joe O’Reilly
Brian Kearney
Dessie O’Hare
Catherne Nevin
The Mulhall sisters
Malcolm McArthur
Brian Meehan
Stan “Tookie” Williams (were he still alive)

Why?

I think a natural corollary to it is responsibility, Dwyer’s life has no intrinsic dignity worth protecting. I also think it’s a hypocritical that that’s where we draw the line given the suffering we allow daily among the weakest in our (western) society, and tolerate more broadly in the third world to allow us to continue living the lifestyle to which we are accustomed.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1126401, member: 183”]

The murderer of Michaela Harte (if ever caught)
Graham Dwyer
David Ervine (if he was still alive)
Gusty Spence (if he was still alive)
Lenny Murphy (if he was still alive)
Ratko Mladic
The gunmen from the Kingsmills massacre
Adrian Bayley (murdered Jill Meagher)
Mark Chapman
Joe O’Reilly
Brian Kearney
Dessie O’Hare
Catherne Nevin
The Mulhall sisters
Malcolm McArthur
Brian Meehan
Stan “Tookie” Williams (were he still alive)[/QUOTE]

Why deliberately kill somebody when you can just lock them up for the rest of their lives?

What’s the third world (I believe “The South” is the politically correct term these days) got to do with it?

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1126411, member: 183”]Why deliberately kill somebody when you can just lock them up for the rest of their lives?

What’s the third world (I believe “The South” is the politically correct term these days) got to do with it?[/QUOTE]
I don’t think they deserve to live.

The south? What about the developing nations in the south that aren’t third world? It’s to do with the dignity of human life notion, we don’t give much of a fuck about the dignity of their lives. Life really isnt as sacred as some would like to believe.

Anyway I think there is a lot of lack in that philosophical argument against the death penalty. But the other line about justice being fallible is open and shut, that’s the reason I’d be against the death penalty.