Movies On Demand

Fantastic film, as was the next one
“If you say so” is one of the Greatest ever lines in a fillum.
Brilliant.
As an aside FAO of @Big_Dan_Campbell
The athletic has a list of the top 100 sports films
I can’t work out how to paste it here though.

1 Like

Try the Beck’s kid nice

So far this lockdown I have watched the following films
Joker - outstanding. Great film. 9/10
1917 - very good as well, not what I was expecting (not sure what I was expecting really, more trenches I guess). 9/10
Dunkirk - decent, again not what I was expecting. The timelines thing was a bit annoying, probably partly the point to capture the frantic nature of the brave British retreat. 7/10
Booksmart. It’s like Superbad, except they are girls. I’d imagine that was the pitch for the film actually, it’s basically the same plot as well. That said it wasn’t awful. A few good laughs, a solid 6/10.
The second avengers movie whatever it’s called. Meh. I thought the first one was good, so it’s not that I dislike superhero movies, but I thought this was a bit of a let down. Time travel should be banned as a movie plot device unless the whole film is about time travel ala back to the future or something. It’s like saying “it was all a dream” A load of me bollox. 4/10
The new Star Wars movie. A load of in jokes for fan boys strung together in an attempt to make a coherent plot. Load of shite. 3/10
The new Harley Quinn movie. Absolutely fucking awful. 0/10

In the interest of balance, my missus said the Harley Quinn movie wasn’t bad and she thought 1917 was shit :joy:

We tried watching little women one night, but gave up on it after about 20 minutes due to lack of interest. We’ll give it a spin another night.

Don’t bother with little women. It’s a load of shite

I thought given the oscars etc it would be good and I just wasn’t in the form for it. I might not bother so

@myboyblue gave looper a spin but packed in after about an hour.

I couldn’t take Gordon-Levitt seriously in that role

Interesting. I’d be a fan of his, but it is a strange sort of movie. I’m not sure you’d have hacked the ending either in that case. I didnt like it the first time as I said, but had much more grá for it the second time around.

I think it might have been the cgi, couldn’t buy into it.

Ok - Some classic old movies that I highly recommend you try watch if you havent already. Great acting and good stories - no CGI so @iron_mike and @carryharry can stay away.

Salvador - By Oliver Stone. It was released in 1986 the same year as his Platoon so gets overlooked all the time. It’s a fantastic movie and the tension between James Woods and Jim Belushi is brilliant. - Good bit of humour in there.

The Hustler - Paul Newman at his best (ok, not quite Cool Hand Luke). One of my all time favourite movies — it’s a tragedy, slow moving and dark in places. Newman plays the anti-hero who will do anything to get what he wants.

Sunset Boulevard - Keeping on the theme of obsession — a brilliant movie from the film noir genre - The film is over 70 years old but the story could be any time – A actress refusing to come to grips that time has moved on from her… if you like this maybe check out The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogard also.

All Quiet on the Western Front- A brilliant anti- was movie from 1930 — A few patriotic Germans are sent to the front in WW1 and arent long learning about the horrors of war and the bullshit that led them there.

Gone with the Wind – A classic — Huge blockbuster - The Titanic of it’s day. Tells the tale of the South through civil war via the brazen Scarlet O’Hara in a brilliant performance by Vivian Leigh. Co Stars with Clake Gable … A good 2.5 hour yarn that the mrs will enjoy.

Network - A brilliant, brilliant movie - full of satire and as relevant today as then.

3 Likes

Might give sunset boulevard a lash at the weekend.

I loves old movies — a good black and white is better than 99% of movies produced over the last 10-20 years.

If you have a couple of hours to kill perhaps you should check out one of the best war movies ever: Das boot

2 Likes

What a fillum.

Wanna get a look at a river runs through it, moby dick, glengarry glen ross in the next few days. Though not sure how i will accomplish this.

1 Like

Glengarry Glen Ross is for closers.

Classics.

Others that I love for a bit of action.

Mutiny on the Bounty (version with Marlon Brando)
Northwest Passage (Nap- a must watch)
Ben Hur (Charlton Heston)

2 Likes

The wild one with Brando is a great flick.

It’s my avatar pic here.

1 Like

On The Water Front another classic.

1 Like

He was a genius and like most of them went a bit mental

He looked after my people also… Sent Wan of our wans up to collect his academy award.