Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

As everyone knows, Galway are kind of in between. Still reliant, really, on the men that shaped victory in 2017. But they need to drive on. A shrewd friend of mine from Craughwell reckons Evan Niland is a luxury too far.

Éanna Murphy as a goalkeeper…? But they apparently have no better.

2 Likes

I’d worry less about Eanna Murphy if he was a big big unit.
He just doesn’t seem to have a commanding presence, though that may come.

A question if I may. Do you think there will be any shadow boxing at all between lk and WD next week. Will they both go at it under full steam? Should they?

EM had a terrible touch early in the game, which he was lucky to get away with.

He has one of them in most games tbh.

1 Like

At least Galway are backing Murphy.

Tipp and Waterford haven’t really settled on their number one in the last couple of seasons and its unsettling for a team.

Although maybe O’Brien has it now down in Waterford. But Soky casts a long shadow there.

1 Like

I probably don’t, it just looks like cork hurling needs something to rattle their cage.

I think Waterford need to show themselves Limerick are not miles out in front. Ultimately players can only convince themselves of possibilities by what happens out on the field. Waterford do not need necessarily to win (although there hardly would be a downside to doing so) but Waterford do need to turn up in a serious way in the Gaelic Grounds.

Limerick play in a highly predictable way. But stopping them doing what they like to do is really difficult. Key will be how figures such as Patrick Curran and Jack Prendergast get on. I guess the 2022 calculations by Liam Cahill involve hoping that Darragh Lyons can match up with Darragh O’Donovan and Calum Lyons can take on William O’Donoghue. Jamie Barron, who struggles against Limerick’s power, might slot in as a nominal half forward at some stage when Waterford take on Limerick – an event that could happen three times this summer.

Waterford, with Stephen Bennett and Austin Gleeson to pick at half forward, do have means of getting at the Limerick half back line, a facet most counties currently lack. I think when the crunch eventually comes in 2022 between these two counties you might see SB and AG as two wing forwards, with someone (maybe JB) nominally picked at centre forward but sent as CL’s marker. AG and Diarmaid Byrnes would be a clash to relish.

2 Likes

It would be madness if they didn’t go full out for it. Especially for Waterford. What have they done to say they’ll steam roll through their remaining games if they lose on Saturday? Clare and Cork would fancy a real crack at them

I don’t think there’ll be any shadow boxing, the two will go at it, I don’t think Waterford are in a position not to go all out and win from a psychological perspective after being beaten in the last 3/4 championship meetings. I think Cahill has too much respect than to not send his team out to win

1 Like

I saw him jumping around, said to the fella next to me jumping around like a jackass never made a blind bit of difference for davy

Flatty, the aim is to get out of Munster for both teams. Theres two points at stake. Two points that will more or less guarantee the winner third place at least. The provincial title/final is irrelevant. Limericks next game after that us in Ennis. They have struggled there traditionally. They dont want to be going there needing something. Waterford dont want to be dragged into a dogfight with Cork, Tipp and Clare either. It’ll be full tilt on Saturday from both sides. The winner may just be able to take a chance in their next game. The loser is under pressure to make the cut.

The Denise got some return from moving Barron inside against Limerick last year and won’t have forgotten that.

Yes, that thought occurs to me as well.

We have the pleasure of Tipperary’s company after Waterford Mike. And I’m looking forward to it immensely.

2 Likes

Some great moments yesterday that have hardly been mentioned

• Mike Casey’s catch. You know the one
  • The same man laying into Alan Connolly, pure intensity and passion. Great to have him back.
  • CON’s second point. Wow. 70 yards out or so and it was like he tapped it. Similar to how Hego does it.
  • Kyle Hayes’ point where he tapped it over the man and somehow kept his balance
  • When Lynch and Hayes forced Collins into overcarrying

Each one of them had Limerick fans up on their feet. A great day all in all. Cork have a ridiculous amount of rebuilding to do. They are up there with the rest but that’s not particularly difficult at the moment. Waterford beat them well in the league but now we know that wasn’t all too telling really. They will have their test next Saturday, the last few times they folded and similar to Cork, got adrenaline rushes for the first few minutes before petering out. It will be a fascinating encounter

11 Likes

I think this is absolutely the correct thing to do unless someone obviously better comes along. Back him to the hilt

I think the jolly green giants are right back where they were, but there isn’t another team in the country suits them like cork. We will see.

The golf bit may be true but Wexford County Board never paid for the senior hurling management, squad and backroom staff to stay in Mount Juliet.

5 Likes

I’d expect Clare to go with the following at the weekend

Quilligan
Hayes-Cleary-Flanagan
Ryan-Conlon-David Mc
Jason McCarthy-Malone
Duggan-David Fitz-Taylor
Meehan-O’Donnell-Kelly

Would be six changes from when the teams met last year. You would think that David McInerney and Shane O’Donnell are improvements on Paudi Fitz and Shanagher. Jason McCarthy and David Fitz wouldn’t have the hurling of Colm Galvin and David Reidy but will offer a lot more in terms of athleticism and physicality in that middle third. Hard to see Duggan being the player he was in 2018 and 2019 and I would rather him off the bench at this point and given how well Aidan McCarthy hurled last year makes it a loss. I’d see Meehan as an improvement on Ian Galvin as his pace and attitude are far superior.

Crotty, Shanagher and Ian Galvin are all decent impact subs off the bench. Tipp will surely have Barrett man marking Kelly, I would assume Clare will look to play Kelly deeper than last year and try and isolate O’Donnell and Meehan inside against Morgan and Quigley.

Malone will sit and track/cut off the space for Noel Mcgrath with Taylor playing as an auxiliary midfielder.