Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Yes, but its ā€œpolicyā€ not to pick players playing outside of Ireland who arenā€™t called Jonny Sexton.

1 Like

yes, why wouldnā€™t a south African living in france play for oireland?

2 Likes

How twee

Zebo hadnā€™t left or even signed a contract abroad iirc. Just had the temerity to not instantly resign for rugbyā€™s inventors.

1 Like

Stand(er) up and Flight.

1 Like

He has signed a contract abroad. Little benefit in playing him for the next few months if you wont pick him after he leaves in May. Like the rule or not (Im conflicted tbh) the players all know them

He has now. Iirc, he hadnā€™t when he was dropped and bundeeaki was brought in.
All the players??
No exceptions then.

Itā€™s a shame when you make such an effort, and it sails harmlessly over the heads.

1 Like

He had signed the contract when he was dropped. You will see it hasnt been formally announced who he is moving to yet because there is a transfer window in france. That may be leading to some confusion.

Sexton is the only one who an exception has been made for in recent times. And that wasnt great from anyones perspective really he was constantly on the go. Most of the top countries have similar rules, albeit some are nuanced to allow exceptions for players with large number of caps.

Rhys Webb for example is going to france next year and huge controversy he wont be picked for wales because he doesnt meet their requirement to have played 60 caps or whatever it is.

OMFG

^^^

As I expected.

To the Brave and the Faithful, nothing is impossible.

@flattythehurdler get onboard the Limerick train fast mate thereā€™s fellas turning down ā‚¬800k a year for the chance to live here

4 Likes

Would o stander be limerick, or Cork?

Fellas will need to be fucking resuscitated on here if CJ shows this level of loyalty and commitment to Munster and Ireland :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

@caulifloweredneanderthal must have been offered something incredible to move to Louth.

4 Likes

I will.

1 Like

Serious question now, but would it be prudent financially to stay in Ireland and be a big fish in the small pond on with an eye on post retirement earnings.

If he were to stay here and become a ā€œlegendā€ of Irish rugby heā€™d lose out on maybe 2-3 years of what ā‚¬400k over what heā€™s getting now (before tax), plus higher cost of living etc (and is there still a tax rebate for Irish sports people?).

As a trade off you stay here and you become a figure on the after dinner circuit post retirement, you get a gig on OTB or whatever. Analyst positions on TV, a column in the paper etc. or you go down the other route with a soft coaching job.
I doubt those options would be open if he left Ireland now.

If you look at the likes of Kilbane, Houghton, Cascarino etc. etc. Theyā€™ve all done far better by being Oirish than they would have if they were just another Jock/English lad in their post retirement careers.
Brent Pope being the rugby case study I suppose.

1 Like

Weā€™re all used to agents using inflated ā€œoffersā€ from abroad to ramp up the pressure on the IRFU and get a couple of extra shekels.

This appears to use a vastly inflated ā€œofferā€ to ensure that when it is turned down, any questions about Standers loyalty from the Kimmages, Neil Francis and TFK headbangers will be quashed for ever.

Itā€™s a genius double ball-hop

5 Likes

Thatā€™d be my reading of it, bar itā€™s far from genius. Just a bit of straightforward thinking. Youā€™d expect it from the fas trainee agent in truth.

1 Like