Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Ah he knows well who it is.

1 Like

You dont need to tell fagan who seanie leary is at all. If he was born a few miles more eastwards they mightnt be waiting so long for an all ireland

1 Like

More likely that nobody would ever have heard of the great Seanie Leary

1 Like

Graveyard of talent alrighr

1 Like

Tomas O Leary

Oh god I know Seanie Leary all right. I was standing low down on the Killinanend terrace in 1984 when he wreakedhis havoc on poor old John Sheedy at the far end of the ground in 1984. That was the best Munster Final I was ever at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXrWon3kZdI&app=desktop

2 Likes

Fenton’s striking off the ground was unparalleled in the game, he drive a ball just wide there late on from over 70 yards.
I was there in the town end that day, 9 years old, my memory is that the terrace was so packed that my father persuaded a steward to let us into an area between terrace and pitch where we watched the game in comfort behind the goal, does or did such an area exist or is my memory playing tricks on me?

1 Like

Yes it existed.

It does indeed. The capacity of Thurles was extended to something like 65k that year and extra seating was put in between the goal and the terrace

John Sheedy’s puck outs weren’t reaching mid field even . Michael Doyle should have won it for Tipp .

Munster fairly dismantling Leicester in Thomond at present.

91 was better overall (not sure if you were there of course) but 84 was not amazing till last 10

1 Like

I was at 91 on Thurles. An absolute better of a game

1 Like

The best hurling matches in my lifetime were the Cork Tipperary games of that era. The shame was that the two best teams in the country never met in an All Ireland the way they could now.

1 Like

Unbelievable.
A standout childhood memory in 91 is Aidan Ryans goal. While disappointed i was mezmerized by the elation of the Tipp people

1 Like

In 84 I didn’t even realise Tipp were rivals, they’d been dogshit all my life, they got uppity though when it looked like they’d win :smile:

84 was a great game throughout, atmosphere was unreal but 91 replay was better.

1 Like

That would have been outstanding.

I can’t wait to get my hands on a huing team in the near future and bring back a few of the old skills

Great days. My first Tipp game was the drawn 87 final, five years of age. Father wouldn’t bring me to Killarney for replay