Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Killkenny, Galway and Offaly were the teams then

That was a great day even though Cork lost, mighty games.

How’re Munster doing?

Limerick were often fancied to turn us over, I thought Cregan was a wizard.

Again a confusing day for me. Hugely disappointed, but i was genuinely delighted for tipp people.

As i was always on the field i got some unique experiences

Walking all over the cunts

1 Like

I only barely remember him.

They were always difficult though. Just never really felt they’d beat you in the end.

28-3. 24 mins left to get the 4th and Bonus Point try now.

I got the train from Cark to Limerick this morning. It was beset with a profusion of red jerseyed detestable muunster rogbee fans. I’ll be more careful next time I have to take the train.

1 Like

Inspired by @caoimhaoin I watched the 91 replay there on YouTube. Well worth a watch. Absolutely unreal physicality compared to today’s game, Declan Ryan’s assault on Jim Cashman being the defining assault.

I don’t think hurling like that could ever come back at inter county level. The development squad system and coaching courses will prevent a revival of first time blood and thunder hurling.

Think that match was on a Saturday. Nicky English was injured and Babs started Donie O’Connell for the 1st time since the 88 AI Final, switching Declan Ryan to Centre Forward was the winning of the game.
Agree with you in relation to the type of hurling, while skills and pace have improved beyond recognition, the game has become sanitised. Was having this discussion at a funeral the other day. Back then if you put your leg in or hand up unprotected you were entitled to get a belt, it would be a red card now!

Definitely a Sunday, the Saturday match was about 15 years later and memorable for Timmy macs goal

2 Likes

Looked to me like Leahy went back into the half backs and won the game for Tipp. Cleary and Fox were tremendous

Actually forgot about Leahy’s display! Scored a goal to bring them back into it in the drawn game in Cork as well.

I think certain aspects can work. First time hurling can flourish. Well coached and it can be tactical as well

I am not suggesting repeating or reliving old hurling, just re-introducing some of the old skills.

The development squads will be gone in 10 years

1 Like

That was the u21 when we robbed them blind.

The Saturday Senior game was Corcoran on the ground scoring

Nah. Ye always had the ability to stick a few goals past us. Even when we were going well.

Beautiful hurlers.

As classy as i can remember. While JBM and the Cork lads were more instinctive, some of the skill of the tipp lads in that era was outrageous

1 Like

I was in Killarney on a Saturday around 04/05 when Cork played Tipp, Timmy Mac was dropped but had to come in early and scored a great goal. It was the first hurling match in Killarney in years, probably since the 87 games.
Corcorans score was in Limerick

Johnny Carroll put the rock on his arse below in Killarney. It was glorious

2 Likes