Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

I agree with the wides. Im not being critical for the sake of it, I would hope Im being fair when I say old failings persisted, for me I felt

Midfield was outworked and over run
Fitzgibbon was totally peripheral to the game, accepted he came good for important goal
Puckouts coughed up at least 3 scores
Cork half forwards allowed Tipp half back kine esp Kennedy too much freedom. These are old failings

These problems present Cork did very well to battle their way to a draw.

Yeah fair. Keeper is poor . But the work rate and effort is miles ahead of where it has been, just still lacking bit of size and quality. Lot of our forwards are the same type of player

1 Like

The much maligned Damien Cahalane, Declan Dalton, Shane Kingston and Conor Lehane all delivered for Cork. Practically all the younger brigade were shown up. Cork’s faith relies on Tipp beating and knocking Lim out next wk IMO.

That was a really enjoyable game. There is something about Saturday night games in Pairc ui Chaoimh on warm balmy evening front of a big crowd.

Thought Tipp looked the better side and left it behind them. In fairness Cork showed a grit and character that hasn’t been there in recent years. They’d have lost that game at any other time over the past three or four years.

Tipp have unearthed a couple of good ones in Tynan and O’Connor. Tynan is the type of niggly, narky hoor the opposition hate but is worth his weight in gold to his own team. He has had a great year so far. O’Connor looks awkward but he’s very effective. Balance in the Tipp team looks much improved than at any time over the past few years.

Tipp look in pole position to qualify now, they should have too much for Waterford.

A bit of talk that the draw was the worst possible result for Limerick. I disagree. Without going all Johnny Giles you need to do your own stuff and not rely on favours from others. If Tipp turn Limerick over then that’s two defeats from 3 with a patchy display in the other game. Would have no complaints if not in the top 3 in such a scenario. If Cork and Clare conspire to play out a 0-04 apiece draw to knock us out I’d have no qualms.

The goals really kept Cork in it. Went in only a point down when Tipp had dominated large chunks of the first half. I think Fitzgibbon is a problem for them. In grand open games he’s a world beater but in tight games he doesn’t really want to know. Give me a lad like Luke Meade over him any day when a game is in the melting pot. Totally anonymous for most of last night again.

Both sides have weaknesses others can exploit but likewise they’ll cause plenty of problems of their own also. A Waterford win against Clare would only add to the intrigue and make it a proper 5 team contest. As of now it looks like a mini comp with three teams to emerge from 4.

Steps rule has been a bit of a joke for years but the last couple of weeks have taken the biscuit. O’Flynn took about 10 steps for his goal last night. As with Galway against Kilkenny a week before, refs are very reluctant to blow for it when a lad is bearing down on goal. There’ll be ructions when a ref blows for it, deservedly, in a big game soon. O’Dwyer did well overall last night but there were a few head high tackles that would have led to a Tribunal if committed by Hegarty, Hayes or Gillane.

Anyways, all hail the split season. 120,000-ish through the turnstiles so far and a few cracking matches still to come. Tipp - Limerick will draw another 35,000 plus I’d say. Been an excellent Munster championship so far.

The next few years look like being wide open with the possibility of different champions every year for the next half decade IMO.

14 Likes

My post said it all, you don’t drop a player after a really good game, once you’ve picked him you go again.

He’s obviously popular with the selection committee so I look forward to you raising this throughout the summer :+1:

He didn’t stand out to me as having had an awful match, think he was booked alright and maybe hit a long ball into space occupied by a tipp man, I dunno.
But Tipp were really good and he had a tough gig.
The brother was no better (I think)

If Cork lose to Clare which I expect them to do so Limerick have a few hit against Tipperary as a win or a lose will be meaningless until the final game against Cork at home. My two cents, pure malfunction from Cork when under pressure. The pace of the Tipperary backline saves them to get goals. You know you are in trouble if Declan Dalton is beating you for pace. Secondly he did fine yesterday but long term that guy is as far of an inter county hurler as any player ye have. He is a cart horse and not a good one in truth.

If Clare beat ye it might be a short summer.

I know, they’re right up against it now

I’m not the biggest round robin fan in the world but you have to admit we’ve an exciting three weeks or so ahead with all the permutations. I feel it goes down to the last day. Waterford may have their say yet.

It is not likely to happen this way as they play before Limerick. You can also add the fact Clare and Lohan would want silverware and a straight run to the semi.

Dalton seems to have lost every ounce of body fat he had. He can genuinely get around the field and move now. He was back in his own half back line sweeping up at times. I dont know maybe Cork have unlocked something there. It is quite a weapon in your arsenal to have a fella that can knock frees over from a 100 yards as we have seen with Brynes and Limerick too. I think Cork will fancy taking Clare to be honest. They will start O Mahoney at wing back the next day instead of one of the Downeys and Kingston will come in and they will be a better balanced side. Wouldnt be surprised to see Meade come back in too.

1 Like

He was back there on purpose as an extra sweeper while they had the wind. I can assure you, he is not a guy to hang your hat on lad.

I take form, I believe Clare would beat Tipperary if they play them again keeper fucked them the first day out and I think Tipperary were five points the better team last night. Cork are not very good.

Dalton is a poor man’s shane dowling.

2 Likes

There’ll be another 30k plus in Thurles in two weeks time. An epic championship again.

All that’s left on ticketmaster is those terrible end sections and terrace tickets.

1 Like

I dont think they would. Tipp scored at will and when they wanted. Any time Clare threatened a comeback Tipp were able to ease out the scoreboard time and again. I dont even think it was a good performance by Tipp that night and they had another gear or 2. Clare got a goal in garbage time to make it a 5 point game from an 8 point game. Cusack Park is worth a few points to them too. Too much has been made of Clares performance against Limerick who barely got over the line against a rabble in Waterford. Also the Clare goalie had a mare but we would have found other ways to score the goals if they were needed. I dont think Clare are the 2nd coming and whilst they will account for Waterford I think they could be caught on the hop by Cork. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn’t be his biggest fan but he delivered. Like a gazelle at the start. Left the likes of Ronan Maher and Dan McCormack in his wake for the goal. Ronan Maher was at fault for three of the Cork goals. His wicked slow.

I thought in general Tipp were impressive yesterday, they had a good structure and plan. Ball inside was good and dominated the middle third. The soft goals killed them, but prior to the last 5 minutes they’d responded well every time Cork scored.

1 Like

We were in the city end and had a good view of first Cork goal. He literally didnt move. Like a statue. Shocking stuff. Its no coincidence that he has played better when Tipp have played against the wind. He caught and cleared a good few balls in 2nd half of both Clare and Cork games when teams have lumped ball down on top of him but when teams are carrying ball into more scoreable positions and working ball through the lines he is goosed. Kennedy, McCormack offered some protection there but cant put out all the fires. Limerick could move Hayes up there 2 weeks time and try to expose us there.

Yeah the turnaround in no time at all has been remarkable. Hopefully we can be one of the 3 that gets out. I think they will improve for each game. A lot of new players in pivotal positions who so far have looked up to it and show no signs the occasion is too big for them. Last night was a cauldron with a big Cork crowd and I thought they’ll come on even more from that.

2 Likes