Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

He’s always looked better off the bench alright.

1 Like

He showed very well and the half back line seemed to actively seek him out in the first half. Had some great touches but then would be let down by the next touch. Definitely something to work with there

Think he will be a great impact sub for the summer (if we manage to hang around)

Few other thoughts:

• We’d kill for an Alan Tynan, or Mark Kehoe.

• The option of a target man, or just a full-forward that plays near the square, would be of great benefit to us. Alan Connolly is a loss in this respect. Horgan inside isn’t the same and puts a lot of pressure on the lads out the pitch picking him and whoever is next to him out.

• Joyce was poor, and is in a bid of a funk form wise. In saying that, a lot is being asked of him too early. He is basically 21 and the leader of the defence.

• Very hard not to start TOM and Kingston the next day; I’d still leave them on the bench, but Meade should start imo.

• We could have had three goals in the first ten minutes, and Downey could have had a crack as well if he had some confidence.

• TOC and BR look like they are still very much finding their feet; hard to tell from watching online, but TOC in particularly is really struggling with the increase in pace. Have a feeling BR will be gone for Meade next day.

• Rob Downey and TOC should be on the bench but with SOD still out we are pretty fucked in this respect.

• Ben Cunningham will be starting half-forward next year.

You cant carry selectors. Selectors must have a role beyond actually picking the team. Outside of the coach, I fail to see what expertise any of the selectors bring to the table. That was Pat Ryan’s decision and no one else. That may read as a cut off Pat Ryan but its a fact. Name any other top team that as a set up like that?

1 Like

Fuck off you ape

1 Like

Impossible for me to name another set up like that as I pay little to no attention to selector set ups in other inter-county teams.

Who did you want to take the job besides PR? Or is it just the selectors that are the issue?

It’s tricky. Ultimately Downey doesn’t have the legs for inter-county hurling - it’s clear as day.

A manager at that level needs to bring a coaching ticket. Pat Ryan’s job is no different to Kingston before him, its to manage i.e. bring the parts together and delegate to the expert.

Thats why I favoured Davy over Pat Ryan. It was the package and sum of the parts.

To be fair to Pat Ryan, Im reliably informed that financial backing is thin enough, which puts him on the back foot to begin with.

:joy:

Look, Davy Fitz is the last person this team needs and it is PR’s prerogative to choose his own selectors. It makes sense to me that he chose lads he is familiar with and so far everything has gone fine.

Ultimately I don’t think the players are there - yet.

1 Like

Was there any interview process or did the inner circle just decide Pat Ryan was ‘the one’. Compare it to the process Kerry and Mayo engaged with.

Cork hurling is the second most attractive brand in the GAA from a marketing perspective - and the most attractive in hurling.

How can money be a problem?

Ryan deserved it after his U-20 successes - simple as that. What has he done wrong so far?

The CCB is broke.

1 Like

That type if setup you describe is perfectly fine at a club or u20 level, where talent alone would be the primary driver of success. However, at senior intercounty, it just wont do. The small margins matter.

Did all financial acumen depart with Frank Murphy?

Surely Cork hurling is a product that has a rich pool of business and financial backing available to it?

I agree, he earned the right but there should have been due process to see what sort of management package others could offer. Then, make the appointment based on all data.

Frank Murphy is why we are broke.

Do you think the players are there to realistically challenge for an AI? Who has PR not picked that should be there?