Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Buenos Aires will have nothing on Pana if Cork ever happen to bring Liam MacCarthy home.

1 Like

Yes it’s definitely the format causing the Tipp fans to stay at home. Not the lingering effects of six championship defeats in a row.

There was no shape to our forward line for about 15 minutes in both halves. 2 or 3 Tipp back just unmarked picking up ball after ball. Dalton spent half the match down in the RHB position. Fitzgibbon just doesn’t do enough unless you literally hand him the ball, but in fairness he came into in the last 10 minutes. Barrett is having a shocker in front of the posts at the moment. The bench had a good impact . TOM, Meade and Lehane will start the next day I think.The half back line just couldn’t win a puck out clean coming down the straight, if we had got ahead at all we would have won.

I think we needed to sneak a win in that game to get through. It’s hard to see Clare losing both games in Ennis and Limerick will hammer us if they need to in the last game.

1 Like

Agreed entirely but no way Lehane starts next day.

8or 9k is a huge stretch i think.

5 or 6k max. Even Liam Cahill said there was barely anyone there from Tipp…

1 Like

A Royal coronation.

We have issues.

Bad form. Should have checked first.

Examiner reporting Lim/Tipp “on course” to be a sell out. The Tippos to be outnumbered 5:1 in Thurles?

8 or 9k would still be dwarfed by what Cork had there. They had 28K the week prior and only 1 terrace open. There was nearly 10K more there last night so assuming Cork brought same crowd as last week and Waterford brought hardly anyone then its a fair assumption Tipp swelled the numbers. There was a fair Tipp crowd in the City end and in good pockets of the stands.

In any case I think under new format it will change how some followers will view going to games. Some will always travel like they do but others will pick and choose. It will be a bit like association football with supporters going to their home games and not the away ones. Having said that next year youll probably see an invasion of Cork people to Thurles as they always do.

I think this is the budding of a Cork Tipp rivalry that could span the next 5 or 6 years. They have met and each have won underage titles recently with many of those players coming to the fore. Pat Ryan and Cahill will be seeing a lot of each other and could again this year. Its good to have these rivalries too. Limerick were out on their own for last few years so its definitely good from pov of plots and story lines and cultivates a huge level of interest. I knew that game would be good last night, I knew the occasion and atmosphere would be electric but it even surpassed my own expectations. As Noel McGrath said afterwards you just feel alive by being here.

2 Likes

Sure there’s over 500,000 people in Cork. And they can’t get 30,000 out to a championship match.

2 Likes

It was some occasion alright. The sun, Saturday night lights in de Páirc Colosseum and the most romantic rivalry in the GAA producing a classic last 10 minutes. Shades of Cork Tipp games of old with the goaks at the end.

Tipp fans were outnumbered alright but Jesus they were loud in the stadium I felt.

3 Likes

Waterford

2 Likes

Similar feelings to my own,
It felt like you were at a really good contest last night, there was serious Tipp support despite differing statements here
Tipp were superb at times, Cork stuck with them despite not playing well,
Seems a lot of people have something invested in talking Clare up, I don’t get it, Tipp hammered the shit out of them

2 Likes

To be fair, Clare are the only team that have consistently gone toe to toe with Limerick over the last number of years.
Last week was the first time I’ve seen a team definitely deserve to beat Limerick over the course of 75 minutes since 2019.
For that alone, they are a formidable opposition but Cork won’t fear them

Bringing RoF back so soon looks a massive gaff and potentially sets the player back for longer…

Dropping Meade was a blunder….

Not starting Kingston is bizarre….

Starting ROF after an injury- bad
Not starting Kingston after injury- also bad

Good man Harry

Sorry to hurt your feelings Rob.

It’s an incredible setting down there. Most people cant see past inconvenience of getting there (there really isn’t) but as it turned to dusk last night the decibel level was cranked up and it was like the late 80s and early 90s when the goals would by flying in from all angles.

1 Like

Looking at Downey for 70 mins when he was booked, turning over possession and being a statue in general was another blunder from Pat.