Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

They are horrible spectacles. It should be on in Cork. No brainer. Cork and Thurles should be only venues on munster final rota. If Munster finals consist of Tipp and Cork which I think will be the case over the next 5 years we have the home and away arrangement.

4 Likes

I’d be very very surprised if they can stop him taking the training, or bar him from the ground. Touchline is all I’d reckon.

I wouldnt be surprised if there is a stipulation that Colm Bonner must wear the Bainisteoir bib at the matches in Cahills absence.

Has to be Cork

1 Like

Cork
Cork
Cork!

Tipp are BACK!!!

The Clare lads may set off now if it’s in Cork

They DREW with Limerick lad. They are BACK

I was surprised to see that they’ve only one tipp championship , back in 1995

1 Like

Thurles is a total dump. The town is incredibly depressing

14 Likes

Tipp and cork will carve up Munster between them for the next five or ten years, we’ve had our run.

It’s hard to put your finger on it, but there is something very grim about the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick, especially if the sun doesn’t shine, and it’s one of those grounds where the sun rarely shines. Only twice has the sun shone properly on big days there. The default weather setting for games at the Gaelic Grounds is the dark side of overcast with a cold breeze.

I think these are the essential elements of grimness:
i) The Mackey Stand - an awful yoke.
ii) The fact that it backs directly onto the main road coming into Limerick. A stadium being directly on a main road is a no-no.
iii) Those floodlight pylons in the corner. Horrible and grey.
iv) Power lines. That awful pylon beyond the city end terrace.
v) No pubs.
vi) Limerick as a city can’t properly capture that big match feel. The walk into town is too long. The streets in town are too wide.
vii) The hills in the background. Sometimes natural features work to create an ambience at a stadium. Sometimes they work to take ambience away, and the hills over the open stand at the Gaelic Grounds create a feeling of loneliness.

Limerick v Clare is the only pairing that feels right there, and that’s purely because it carries the legacy of that point.

5 Likes

This is a bit too arbitrary for me.

1 Like

There’s just no buzz about a game in Limerick I think. Thurles and Ennis are both small enough for the game to take over the town and Cork is the best overall

Won 1 of 7 finals since '93, disastrous return for a club with decent juvenile record

1 Like

Knocking out Thurles in 2007, 2013, 2018 and 2020 and failing to turn it into a County win each time was careless in the extreme.

4 Likes

As it is in Cork?

2 Likes

You misspelled Tipperary there pal

The walk to and from the Pairc is iconic and very much a part of the match day experience

4 Likes

Was way better for matches a few years back. Some amount of old haunts (pubs) closed the last few years there…Bowes etc.
Cork is a million times better