Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

homer simpson GIF

The Limerick posters on here remind me of Homer in this episode of the Simpsons. “Its still Good, Its Still good” with desperation seeping from every pore. Denial and refusal to accept the fate before them.

A lot of bargaining with themselves saying everything will be ok. “We will be fine when the 3 week break comes” , “we will be fine when we reach Croke Park – We are a Croke Park team”.

The long slow walk into obscurity beckons but time waits for no man. They can tell their grandkids what it was like to witness Limerick winning an All Ireland.

It was good while it lasted

1 Like

2 Likes

Cracking post . A few others

Smokey Joes “soccer style” finish for The dubs in 1983.

2001 and the Waterford players tops off , hanging off the fences celebrating with the fans after first Munster win in year .

2008 Tipp Eoin Kelly bullet out of nothing agin Donal og, the fans had overflowed onto the pitch and were behind the goal, the shot could have taken someone’s head off if it hadn’t found the net

1 Like

1 Like

the simpsons lemon GIF

2 Likes

You’re right ,Same day as WC final I think

Great Pairc Ui Chaoimh days, note how many the sun shone on:

Cork v Dublin 1983 replay - Mick Dunne: “the atmosphere is like a Mediterranean sports stadium”

Cork v Tipp 1991 draw - it rained but it was good rain

Limerick v Tipp 1996 replay - arid dryness

Clare v Tipp 1999 draw - one of the last days where there had been a build up lasting six months

Tipp v Clare 2001 - the very last day where there had been a build up lasting six months

Cork v Kerry 1987 - the day Billy Morgan buried himself in the turf

Tipp v Limerick 2001 - its gettin’ hot in here

Cork v Kerry 1983 - get them late

Cork v Kerry 1976 - dryness

Cork v Kerry 1999 - wet but red hot

Cork v Limerick 1992 - sunsheeine

Waterford v Tipp 1998 - Dan Shanahan announcing himself

Limerick v Waterford 2001 - an utterly mental game

Waterford v Tipp 2002 - Waterford’s denouement with destiny

Clare v Tipp 1997 - the day the Celtic Tiger started

Cork v Limerick 2001 - the day four Limerick men fearlessly entered a dark room and came out alive

Cork v Kerry 1992 - the Larry Tompkins sunburn game

Limerick v Tipp 2021 - Kyle Hayes’s charge of the light brigade

Limerick v Tipp 1995 - a Gary Kirby Tour de France

Cork v Tipp 2005 - mid summer sunshine

Cork v Limerick 2014 - the last stand of the old stadium

Waterford v Tipp 2004 - his name was Paul O’Brien

Cork v Tipp 2008 - Sheedy’s Tipp’s coming out party

Cork v Tipp 2023 - the greatest game nobody ever saw

Cork v Limerick 2018 - a Saturday night smasher

7 Likes

Back to back even

It wasn’t a good occasion cos of the lockdown but the 2021 Liam Sheedy clapping Munster final was one of the hottest days I’ve ever experienced in Ireland

1 Like

Last years all Ireland final was hot and the Monday in dublin Was even hotter

Some of those small crowd games in 2021 turned into smashing occasions. Limerick v Tipp was one. Monaghan v Armagh, Donegal v Derry and Donegal v Tyrone in Ulster, Dublin v Mayo and Kerry v Tyrone.

The crowd made a big difference. The cap on the crowd made a psychological difference too compared to a normal match where a very small crowd turned up.

I’m trying to think what the best no crowd sporting occasion during lockdown was. It’s definitely the last three frames of the Ronnie O’Sullivan v Mark Selby World Snooker semi-final in 2020.

I enjoyed a Galway v Waterford KO Qualifier in July 2021 with only about 4k at it in Thurles and would rate Semi Final weekend that year a mile ahead of 2022.

The delayed throw in because of the bales of straw falling on the M8 before the Limerick v Waterford brought a great sense of occasion around the ground as everyone fitted in an extra couple of pints.

5 Likes

Unless you were behind the hay :pensive:

3 Likes

It was 38.5 degrees in Patsy Nichols the Monday. The walls were sweating

It was a disaster for me because I slept in on the Monday. Left my bag in a friends car and didn’t the half wit lose his keys so I couldn’t get my bag out.

I’d love to see a graph with temperature and cider sales.

Every year C&C the crowd that make bulmers would blame the poor summer weather for bad profits. Didn’t matter what the weather was. But ya, cider and sunshine go hand in hand.

I’d say Cider sales in Thurles Sunday :chart_with_upwards_trend: :

A few former work colleagues bought shares in C&C on the back of Bulmers sales back in the early 2000s, which was probably peak Bulmers. They were stoney faced enough regarding the share price by the time the crash happened

Ah they were the worst run company going. Sold all their good assets and bought a load of shite ones. Had the Cider market cornered and fucked it away.