Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

Without having pucked a ball you could argue that yesterday was a very good day for Tipperary.

Is Derrick pulling out his hair in the aftermath?

Are the Tipp supporters traveling next week? Two years ago there was a minibus from Newport and a car load from Clonoulty

My mates from Naynagh tell me they’l travel this time.

1 Like

One thing that took us too long to deal with was Duggan under the high ball, switching hands. Why are we trying to compete with him? And then, once he catches it, why are we fouling him when he’s going to have to switch hands again to strike?

In the second half, we were just getting the hurley to it and getting to ground and winning the breaks. Finn was in a one-on-one with him at one stage and did brilliantly despite the advantage.

Duggan is infinitely better at wing-forward than inside.

2 Likes

The man always is!

Not enough gets said about Shane Meehan. In the end of the day you have to be critical of bringing him on. Has rarely shown any impact as a sub. Not sure if he had any possessions in the 10 mins he was on yesterday but he flattered to deceive yet again.

I think no matter what, at an elite level he will always struggle with his size. A man can only try to bulk up so much etc.

It’s odd - you’d nearly feel bad criticising him, because he seems like a decent fella.

Could have lost the finger that day

Two years ago was almost a protest year at the ineptitude of the management.

We’d better players two years ago sadly though.

My own club in South Tipp got allocated 40 tickets and have taken up 35 of them on last count.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure, a lot didnt travel in protest that day. Tipp could and maybe should have won that.

I hope ye are all there in force, cant beat a proper atmosphere

2 Likes

Won’t be there myself. I’ve tickets for the two games in Thurles. Just won’t get down and back to Limerick on Sunday.

1 Like

The round robin places a fair auld travel time on us expats. Are you in Louth?

Are Tipperary definitely worse than last year?

The voyeur is positively seething this morning, going to be a magical Summer.

Not sure about that. We are as low as a snakes belly at the moment. Waterford were at a low ebb but you felt with some direction and under right man theyd have a cut off anyone and on any given Sunday then it can all come right. Looking down through their team sheet there is star quality on every line. All stars galore, club All Irelands and contested a senior intercounty All Ireland. You cant really say the same about Tipp. Plenty of brawn and honesty but not high on quality. We might eke out a win somewhere.

I can honestly see Limerick sauntering through Munster winning 4 from 4. On Paper Clare look next best and will probably start favourites for their remaining games but I fear the physchological impact from yesterdays capitulation will scar. Tipp gave up a 9 point lead to Limerick in a Munster final below in Cork a few years ago but there was still a half of hurling to go with Limerick having benefit of a significant breeze. The fall out from that still lingers. Clares yesterday was worse given it was at home and all happened in 15 minutes of madness. Very hard to get over those. Having said all that its conceivable they regroup and win their remaining 3 games.

You’d then have a Lim Clare munster final. Could then have 3 teams deadlocked on 2 points with score difference the tiebreak to see who progresses.

2 Likes

I am indeed. I’m in Dundalk.

I work with a great gael. A big Louth football man but would be a fella that would go to All Irelands in both codes for years. Has been in most country grounds around the country (recently called Cusack Park a shithole which says something when a lad from a county without a ground can say that). He’s said to me for a few years that he’d love to see a hurling match in Semple. He’s my passenger down for Tipp v Cork. I met him earlier today and he’s giddy already.

1 Like

My ramblings for what they are worth.

I actually thought Limerick were generally fine for a lot of the game, they just could not score.

Byrnes hit four wides, another day that’s at least two points.
Flanagan, Rediy, Hego, CON, Morrissey all hit bad wides off the top of my head.

Some very un-limerick misses in the scoring zone.

Conversion rate was 50% today, that’s shocking. Especially for Limerick. They hit 75% in the AIF last year.

Clares was 59%.

Limericks conversion was 42%!!! in the first half. Clares was 64%.

I don’t have the facts to hand for this, but Clare’s shooting seemed to go to shit just as Limericks was coming good. So I would say their scoring rate remained high until the last 15 where they just started lashing them wide.

Now obviously a Clare can take a lot of credit for Limericks low scoring, but some of the misses were just awful. So I wouldn’t be overly concerned. They’ll fix that.

The two lads inside had bad games, Flanagan and Gillane played right into Clares hands spending the whole game wrestling the two of them. Thought both, Gillane in particular, were very lazy if the ball in wasn’t perfect.

Conlan was picking off some amount of the diagonals and when he did he had a lot of time to give clearances as the two lads didn’t bother pressing him.
The wrestling meant the runs weren’t coming as quickly as they should have and the balls in were bad, plus Conlan and Clare know the plan at this stage.
Thought Limerick were noticeably deeper than usual meaning a huge gap between the two lads inside and the rest. Missed DOD’s distribution here too.

DOD2 had the yips in a major way when he came on, fucked a great goal chance and nearly managled the one he got. But he definitely was asking a lot more questions of the Clare full back line than had been asked. When Limerick dragged Cleary and Hayes/Flanagan Hogan out the field and turned and ran at them they couldn’t handle it at all. Boylan, Hego & CON all ran through the Clare defence at ease towards the end.

Subs made a big impact. English was superb. Himself and Lynch (who was quiet before that) absolutely mopped midfield for the last 15 mins. Lynch was everywhere.
Boylan brought something different to Morrissey and his strong running against tired legs really caused Clare problems.

It’s hard to put your finger on what exactly changed the game. Limerick had Clare on the rack before the goal, they reeled them from 9 points back to 6 and Clare were getting very nervous. Then that goal from another Byrnes mishit and Clare just absolutely crumbled. It all fell apart for them, Limerick won every break, they started clearing shit ball up the field and Dan, Hannon, Nash, Hayes and Finn started ating them alive. What chances they could create they snatched at them. A total collapse really and Limerick were vicious in taking advantage.

Clare obviously tired, subs didn’t impact, Limerick got a couple of lucky goals. But you’d have to think there was a bit of a mental collapse there too.
Could have done with Quilligan taking out a contact lense perhaps.

I wouldn’t be writing off anyone based on one day out, but I think it might be no harm for Limerick to give a few lads like English and Boylan a look from the start.

Great to have a win on the board.

14 Likes

Hard to tell pal. I think the big issue is nobody knows what the team will be. Simple things like who the free taker and who the goalkeeper are. Hopefully the management know at this stage.

Seamus Kennedy is a loss this season but Craig Morgan back is a bonus. We do tend to fade out of games after 50-55 minutes so I’d be wary of the conditioning of the team.

Noel NcGrath, in his 16th season, might be the only fella (bar Morris to an extent) that has a bit of the wow factor about him.

1 Like

We’ll bate Cork. Would be doing well to get a point between the other three games